Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #857 of 22,945

I'm using a pair of the L hybrids right now. They are a touch loose but that flange on the nozzle helps keep the tips on. Just make sure you're using a new pair so that central core is still as tight as it can be. At first I was using a pair of hybrids which I'd had for a long time, and which has gone through lots of A/Bing, so that core was loosened up. Those would come off and stay in my ear every once in a while. The new ones don't do that. 

And, onto the sound... They open up the soundstage and detailing in a fairly major way. The clarity and transparency with them is pretty amazing. I say give them a try, but be careful removing the earphones from your ears. 

These Audio-technica `FineFit` silicons work perfectly for me and seem to sound better than the Shures:

Was it ever explained why the stock Shure tips have such a tiny hole ??  These audio-technicas have approximately 6 times the diameter opening . . .

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #858 of 22,945
These Audio-technica `FineFit` silicons work perfectly for me and seem to sound better than the Shures:

Was it ever explained why the stock Shure tips have such a tiny hole ??  These audio-technicas have approximately 6 times the diameter opening . . .

As I am always on the look out for new tips, are these silicone or foam?

Edit: I am an idiot I see they are silicone. Any idea where to buy them in the US.

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #860 of 22,945
I searched the threads to find what the cable they come with were made of but couldn't find anything. I asked Shure and got an email saying "The conductors are copper and the shield is tin plated copper." Would have preferred silver but I like the wire construction.

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #861 of 22,945
I just popped on my brand new custom molds. They fit OK, maybe need some getting used to. But they sound a fair bit different. Is it just me or did anyone else experience this?

Feels like the mids and bass has been thinned out. Surely not to do with the little plastic grille in the other included tips right?

Thoughts?

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #862 of 22,945
I just popped on my brand new custom molds. They fit OK, maybe need some getting used to. But they sound a fair bit different. Is it just me or did anyone else experience this?

Feels like the mids and bass has been thinned out. Surely not to do with the little plastic grille in the other included tips right?

Thoughts?

When I had my customs as just tips, I actually had the opposite reaction.  I thought the bass became overwhelming using the neutral filter.  I sent the tips back to have them made into molded sleeves, should be a week or 2 before I get them back.  Looking forward to it, the isolation is so much better.

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #863 of 22,945
After I got the 846 back from repair, I switched from the blue / neutral filter to the white / brigth filter after a few days. I am keeping the white filter in for now as it's been mostly beneficial this time around (didn't like it much when I had tried it in the original pair, maybe the tweeter wiring out of phase had some to do with this?).
What I get now if more balanced voicing (it was quite bass heavy from the iphone 5 with blue filter), bass is less impressive but still plenty and with lots of kick. The treble, while more present does not come sizzly or disconnected from the rest of the band, so really nice overall.

Arnaud

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #865 of 22,945

Thoughts?

I`ve been experimenting with all kinds of different tips recently on my standard 846s and I have really noticed that the farther out I can get the sound tubes while still maintaining a good seal, the more bass impact.  I realized that for a while I had the silicon tips pushed too far on to the soundtubes; now that they`re farther out the bass is truly amazing.  You might want to check if your customs are holding the sound tubes too far into your ear canals.  

btw, I`d love to see the customs:  did you/would you post some pics ??

d

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #866 of 22,945
I received them today :D
I bought them at this French webshop for €849,-: http://www.audiosolutions.fr/product_info.php?products_id=8224

Sold my Merlins, because I didn't like customs.

First impressions:
* They are smaller than I thought.
* They are quite difficult to put them in your ears. The "cable bending piece" (don't know the proper word for it) isn't the best in the market.
* I don't hear the rumbling bass yet. Maybe I have to burn them in a couple of hours? (source: MBP + Dragonfly and iPod Touch)
* Soundwise they are a bit like the Merlins. I'm not sure if they are better. The Merlins seems to have more sub bass, where the SE846's seems to have more extension in the bass. But again, the SE846's aren't burned in yet.
* I tried them with the medium olives. Not sure if these suit me best.

Questions or remarks? Please let me know :)

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #867 of 22,945
I received them today :D
I bought them at this French webshop for €849,-: http://www.audiosolutions.fr/product_info.php?products_id=8224

First impressions:
* They are smaller than I thought.
* They are quite difficult to put them in your ears. The "cable bending piece" (don't know the proper word for it) isn't the best in the market.
* I don't hear the rumbling bass yet. Maybe I have to burn them in a couple of hours? (source: MBP + Dragonfly and iPod Touch)
* Soundwise they are a bit like the Merlins. I'm not sure if they are better. The Merlins seems to have more sub bass, where the SE846's seems to have more extension in the bass. But again, the SE846's aren't burned in yet.

Questions or remarks? Please let me know :)

Where are you situated and do you get shures warranty with them?
Better than the uk's £950.

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #868 of 22,945

Merlins are bass monsters so the comparison doesn't surprise me.  That said, on my other IEMs I use medium Comply but on these I need the large to get a good seal while moving around.  Might be the nozzle angle though since when I take them out, one side is compressed.

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #870 of 22,945
Just tried the SE846's with the Audyssey app on my iPhone and wow....it's quite an improvement to the standard music player.
There isn't a SE846 preset yet, but I chose the SE535 preset which matches the SE846 quite good imo.

Here is the app:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amp-audyssey-media-player/id569331902

Users who are viewing this thread

Back