Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 16, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #511 of 22,954
Same thing happened to mine, but it was after only 2-3 weeks' usage.. Right side died suddenly.. Well...

Eh plugging in your single-ended terminated earpiece to the TRRS balanced hm901 is not quite 'suddenly'... :p

But anyway, glad you got a new one!

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #520 of 22,954
Maybe not but the reviewer, Steve Guttenberg, is one of the reviewers on InnerFidelity as well as Sound and Vision and is highly respected here on Head-Fi and in the industry.

By who? I started avoiding Guttenberg reviews after my first couple of months here. They might as well be Amazon reviews for how much weight I find them to carry.

From his Sennheiser HD700 review:

Sennheiser's new HD 700 ($999.95) over-the-ear headphones sound "effortless," without strain, harshness or aggressive edge. Their stereo soundstage is more open and spacious than you'll hear from most audiophile headphones, and the bass, midrange, treble balance is very smooth, with no overly exaggerated frequencies. The HD 700 is straight down the middle, a very accurate set of headphones designed for buyers who want to hear sound with nothing added or taken away from the music.

Umm...ok

d0622908_hd700r.txt.jpeg

The point is that his reviews tend to go completely against the general audiophile consensus, and the higher the price, the higher he tends to rate the product. The HD700 has well known treble problems.

His reviews also come off like fluff material to me, and I often come away more confused about how the actual headphone sounds.

Sorry for the OT.

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #521 of 22,954
Like eke2k6, I recommend to take the comments about some reviewers speaking god's true words with a good pinch of salt. While I find Tyll's reviews on InnerFidelity pretty darn spot on, you sometimes wonder if the reviewer really listened with his ears for some writers!

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #523 of 22,954
Haven't found the time to mail it or bring it to the store, got used to my 315s again :). Planning on getting this done over xmax break...

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #524 of 22,954
Haven't found the time to mail it or bring it to the store, got used to my 315s again :). Planning on getting this done over xmax break...
the 315's really ain't that bad aren't they? Maybe it's me but when I'm laying in bed listening to them I can hear more details or 3D like more then my 535's .. Am I wrong.? Lol

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #525 of 22,954
the 315's really ain't that bad aren't they? Maybe it's me but when I'm laying in bed listening to them I can hear more details or 3D like more then my 535's .. Am I wrong.? Lol

They're like a comfortable pair of old jeans. There's fancier stuff but definitely the 315s feel right home :).

Arnaud

Users who are viewing this thread

Back