Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 17, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #10,681 of 22,946

No need to argue with me – I was just trying to draw you out of your shell, to get to know what's so important about a flat EQ. Has it to do with esthetics? You're ready to curve your SE846 sound with filter swaps and mods, but the EQ has to stay straight – although it could possibly help with what you're trying to achieve with the filter exercise?
wink.gif
I don't feel offended at all by a different approach, just to make that clear.

A 10 band eq supplied with some portable daps may get you to where you want to go but it is a very basic eq. It is all down to personal preference. No reason to argue about it. If a 10 band eq gets you the sound you want then go for it.

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #10,682 of 22,946
Still got to say I'm getting my sub bass head going nicely with this new dH cable. By the way I like my steak grilled or pan seared, it just has to be hot, really really hot. 3-4 minutes a side, one flip, no bbq sauce.

I had Kobe beef at Nobu Miami it is was served raw with a small amount of brandy drizzled on top. The waiter lit the Kobe on fire and after the brandy burned off (about 2 minutes) I ate it. Simply the finest steak I ever had.

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #10,683 of 22,946

I was just trying to draw you out of your shell

Never heard that  before.  Usually people try to get me to crawl back inside my shell.

By the way I like my steak grilled or pan seared, it just has to be hot, really really hot. 3-4 minutes a side, one flip, no bbq sauce.

I just had sea bass for my birthday dinner, and it was really good.  No more red meat, red meat bad for olddude.  Well, once in a great while but no reason to tempt fate.

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #10,685 of 22,946
I have a $225 balanced cable and I love it, but the stock cables are fine.  I just bought the Sensaphonics, got the clears for $150 and $80 for the impressions.  I love them so far.  No more tip experimentation/replacement/concerns.  The sound is clear and clean and the fit is great.  No more walking and pushing the earpieces back in.  

This is an empty your wallet hobby.  You can resist or just roll with it.  Take your time, let things percolate for a while, and then make decisions.  Or say screw it and buy a bunch of stuff willy-nilly.  That's fun, too.

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #10,686 of 22,946
I may still be waiting for my 846's to arrive, but my wallet sure isn't waiting on deciding on more purchases! Sorry for all the questions I've had recently guys, I'm trying to get myself to a point where I'm no longer thinking of various upgrades, I'm totally satisfied, and my friends can stop telling me I have a problem... 

I'm very tempted right now to (after a little bit of time with the stock tips) get ear impressions and order sensaphonics sleeves. Clearly they're well received, but to those of you that have them, is your opinion on them something like, "they're a great upgrade, but not a huge upgrade. I would consider them at some point, but no need to make them a priority." Or is it more like, "GO GO GO. BEST $300 (I roughly assume after ear impressions and the sleeves) YOU'LL EVER SPEND. GET THEM NOWWWWW." Obviously I'm exaggerating, but I'm sure you get my drift. 

Additionally, how necessary do you guys think a cable upgrade is? A decent cable upgrade would certainly be more affordable than a pair sensaphonics sleeves, any comments on what would make a better first upgrade? I currently have the 535's (stock cable), and on that forum, it seems cables are all people talk about. Like it's all about the cables. Are cable upgrades just as important with the 846's? If so, what do you guys all recommend? I know cables are discussed extensively all over headfi, but I've always struggled to come to a good conclusion on what to buy. If I were to buy an aftermarket cable, I don't think I'd be willing to spend over $150, and preferably more like $100. But I really have no idea what I'm talking about in regards to cables, so I'm open to anything. 

Thanks so much for all the help guys, I really appreciate it!

I'm a believer in cable upgrades, really not a good guy to ask if you are on a budget. The most impact I have noticed in my recent cable upgrade is way way above that budget. Without getting into specifics, electro physics, and compounds. If you are going to get the most out of a cable, you have to pay for it. Double helix IMO is top tier in quality and not putting down anyone's cable specifically Some cable are litz braid, the DHC Symbiote Silver Peptide V2 Silver Litz is Type 4 Litz wire, huge difference. Litz wire is enamel coated, and has more fine strands with a fabric core, much more expensive wire design and construction. Consider 8 braid as well for finer detail, but all of that destroys that budget.
Having said all that stock cables are the path of least financial resistance. Each upgrade from here takes a significant quality enhancement to make an impact. A slightly better cable may in fact produce neglidgeable results.there are a variety of cable forums on head fi for further discussion as I have taken some quotes from those in this reply.

Apr 17, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #10,688 of 22,946
The Sensaphonics have more isolation than my Comply Pros.  My cable is balanced, and it sounds great.  I had a Ted's, it made a big difference with my TF10s.  But if you are just starting up the ladder, take it slow for a while.  There's plenty of time to go broke later.

Or again, say screw it and spend 500 bucks. Trying to cheap it won't do it.  You can spend $50 easy just trying different tips.  

Apr 17, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #10,689 of 22,946
  I'm very tempted right now to (after a little bit of time with the stock tips) get ear impressions and order sensaphonics sleeves.

Go for it - the fit and seal is worth the price of admission.  Foamies wear out fast and silicone buds aren't even close.  I had to send my Sensaphonics sleeves back once because the "canals" were too small and the sound was muffled, but I've really adapted to the reworked ones.

I also have Ted's silver litz cable and it's a nice upgrade, but the sleeves make a bigger difference

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #10,693 of 22,946
  Also, with the sensaphonics, do you find that any noise isolation is lost with them? How about the sound bleed going to those around you? The whole reason I like IEM's and not high end open back headphones is so I can wear them wherever and not worry about it, especially school. 

Isolation is apparently near total.  Since I've had mine I've listened to them in bed a couple of times, and my wife says she can't hear any sound from the SCS.

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #10,694 of 22,946
After years of using Shure IEMs and finally when Shure developed the "olives" (SE535) I was quite comfortable with them. But all I kept reading here was CIEMs are so much better, offering a much better seal etc. So I had some customs made and I have to say I prefer the olives. Oh yeah, that means whomever made my customs blew it doesn't it? Um, no. Not only did they make me hard shell CIEMs that fit perfectly (but are hard plastic), they made me softer (more rubbery) custom earplugs (for motorcycling) that also fit perfectly. The Shures with olives give me better isolation than the CIEMs, but not as good as the soft custom earplugs. The CIEMs are hollow (except for the elements} and I believe external sound leaks in that way. If the CIEMs were filled with silicone I believe they might be better than the Shures with olives when it comes to isolation. I spent a bunch of money on the CIEMs, and now I have just spent more ordering the SE-846s (Massdrop, sigh). I am pretty certain the 846 with olives combination will slay my CIEMs. (I love the olives, easy in, good seal, trouble free)  When I wear either while motorcycling (it isn't instant death) you would think I would prefer the CIEMs over the Shures, but you'd be wrong. 

You mention working out, my Ciems make a weird noise in my ear canals when I'm on a treadmill, my Shures with olives do not. I have found that lubing the CIEMs with vaseline helps but What! 

To me, the rule that CIEMs are always better than IEMs has sadly not been the case. If the 846 setup works out well for me the CIEMs may be up for sale. Your mileage may vary.

For those of you who are certain that something must be wrong I'll tell you the manufacturer of my CIEMs did my impressions themselves. I was able to walk into their place of business and they handled the whole thing. They do great work and they did a fine job for me. I just don't think CIEMs are all they are made out to be HERE.

So maybe cables, not tips. Maybe. (I bought silver cables as well and they didn't take)(I didn't spend too much though)

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #10,695 of 22,946
  I have found that lubing the CIEMs with vaseline helps but What! 

I promise to put that line on my tombstone as my epitaph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back