Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 16, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #10,066 of 22,960
The 846s when used properly are not thin.  I second the idea of seal being off.  

If the lossless file is good, the sound should be at least as good as the same file in lossy.  I would expect it to be better, but then I'm a proponent of lossless.  

Mar 16, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #10,067 of 22,960
after receiving my scs for 2 weeks I've noticed that my right ear bass driver isn't working properly. it's now overly modest and lacks textures... I am located in Taiwan and now I have to deal with the local distributor. I hope they make things right for me soon.

One additional benefit of the scs is if you ever drop your iems, the silicon is probably gonna hit the ground first and absorb the shock from the impact. this is a very good thing as I think the drivers(or maybe just bass) is more fragile than we think.

Mar 16, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #10,068 of 22,960
Anyone know how long SE846's warranty is?  Got mine last month, and sensing that the left unit's treble is off and crackling.  But I won't be back to the States until August, and I rather exchange them then to minimize process.  What about the turnaround time?  Usually I'm only in the States for a couple weeks, so hopefully its not too long...

Really bummed, the SE's sound awesome if not for this damn treble issue.  Kinda questioning Shure's build quality reading all these issues...

Mar 16, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #10,069 of 22,960
  Anyone know how long SE846's warranty is?  Got mine last month, and sensing that the left unit's treble is off and crackling.  But I won't be back to the States until August, and I rather exchange them then to minimize process.  What about the turnaround time?  Usually I'm only in the States for a couple weeks, so hopefully its not too long...

Really bummed, the SE's sound awesome if not for this damn treble issue.  Kinda questioning Shure's build quality reading all these issues...

If you read the reports in this thread they are very fast to take care of their customers. Most of the time it is reported that they just replace the defective unit. I don't think you should worry. One simple thing you can try is to disconnect the cable on the earpiece that has the problem then inspect it for foreign objects, clean it and press it back in place till it snaps. Worth a try but it does sound like it is probably a driver.

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #10,070 of 22,960
If you read the reports in this thread they are very fast to take care of their customers. Most of the time it is reported that they just replace the defective unit. I don't think you should worry. One simple thing you can try is to disconnect the cable on the earpiece that has the problem then inspect it for foreign objects, clean it and press it back in place till it snaps. Worth a try but it does sound like it is probably a driver.

I just got my 846's serviced under warranty. The right ear was crackling in the low frequencies. Quite a few had this problem. Anyway, I sent them in last Monday from California, (shipped USPS 2 Day Priority). Got them back last Friday. 4 days. I requested 1Day Return. $20 for that. They replaced the Right Ear and tested everything. Works perfectly now. So impressed with their service.

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #10,071 of 22,960
I'm still having troubles with the treble. It sounds harsh, unnatural.  This is with Yellow foams, Blue filter, Chord Hugo.

Is this a burn in issue (those that believe in burn in)? Or seal problems (bass sounds ok).

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #10,072 of 22,960
I doubt my 846 are faulty they sound fine from my phone and the seal is good with the star tips but the seal with the shire tips are also good and I prefer the sound with the shire tip then the star. With or without the startip lossless sounds thin the mids are fine tho, I was listening to loss less on my laptop using tidal

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #10,073 of 22,960
I doubt my 846 are faulty they sound fine from my phone and the seal is good with the star tips but the seal with the shire tips are also good and I prefer the sound with the shire tip then the star. With or without the startip lossless sounds thin the miss are fine tho, I was listening to loss less on my laptop

Which Filter are you using, (White, Blue, Black), if any?

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #10,074 of 22,960
He says blue filters in his post.

I think you have a seal issue.  I can't get enough treble to sound harsh even with a modded blue filter.  
smile.gif
  The 846 is tuned to avoid sibilance.  

Try the Olives and see if that resolves the issue.  Also, once you insert the tips try jiggling them a bit to make sure you have a seal.  

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #10,076 of 22,960
  Before the 846, what were you listening to?  Just exploring if your previous earphones were unnaturally bassy, and you need to get used to the more natural bass of the 846.

Earsonice S-em6, definitely a heavy bass/mids emphasis on those.

I've gone back to black filter and some double flange tips, I think the seal is better, things have calmed down a little, maybe even a little too much 
rolleyes.gif

I'm prepared to go the custom sleeves route, just want to try and make sure I'm not throwing good money after bad....

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #10,078 of 22,960
I'm still having troubles with the treble. It sounds harsh, unnatural.  This is with Yellow foams, Blue filter, Chord Hugo.

Is this a burn in issue (those that believe in burn in)? Or seal problems (bass sounds ok).

I found the yellows to be very balanaced. Are you having a deep insert with yellows? I would recommend a larger star tip with shallower fit.

Mar 16, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #10,079 of 22,960
He says blue filters in his post.

I think you have a seal issue.  I can't get enough treble to sound harsh even with a modded blue filter.  :smile:   The 846 is tuned to avoid sibilance.  

Try the Olives and see if that resolves the issue.  Also, once you insert the tips try jiggling them a bit to make sure you have a seal.  

Have to agree with Olddude. Even when I listen to the 8s without a filter the treble is never sibilant or harsh although it is fatiguing and I have a silver litz balanced cable and a balanced amp/DAC to push the clarity and resolution. Further my library is entirely FLAC/ALAC with a touch of higher resolution 24/48-24/96 music.

Mar 16, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #10,080 of 22,960
Have to agree with Olddude. Even when I listen to the 8s without a filter the treble is never sibilant or harsh although it is fatiguing and I have a silver litz balanced cable and a balanced amp/DAC to push the clarity and resolution. Further my library is entirely FLAC/ALAC with a touch of higher resolution 24/48-24/96 music.

I have the same problem with my Shure SE846. In comparison to the Sennheiser HD800, the Shure SE846 sounds harsh and bright with the white filter. I guess there must be something wrong with my Shure SE846? 

With the blue filter, the Shure SE846 sounds good though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back