Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #9,121 of 22,960
Does anyone use the white triple flange tips with this? Ive been using them for quite a while now and have cut off the inner most flange because it was too deep. I think i might have lost some intimacy as well as isolation but it was digging too deep and was actually painful to insert all the way.

Anyway, my question is for those who have been using them, how do you clean these?

Mine are starting to turn yellow and the outermost flange that provides the best isolation is actually beginning to warp which hinders the tight seal. Any suggestions?

Also, after using these, I'm sort of desiring a combination of all options.

Id like the deep rumble of the black filters with the brightness and spaciousness of the white filters while having the isolation of the triple flange tips with the soundstage of the gray olives. I don't want to use the foam tips and get used to that sound because I feel the foam tips wont last long as complys for me only last a few weeks.

Have you tried out the Westone Star tips yet?

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #9,124 of 22,960
Does anyone use the white triple flange tips with this? Ive been using them for quite a while now and have cut off the inner most flange because it was too deep. I think i might have lost some intimacy as well as isolation but it was digging too deep and was actually painful to insert all the way.

Anyway, my question is for those who have been using them, how do you clean these?

Mine are starting to turn yellow and the outermost flange that provides the best isolation is actually beginning to warp which hinders the tight seal. Any suggestions?

Also, after using these, I'm sort of desiring a combination of all options.

Id like the deep rumble of the black filters with the brightness and spaciousness of the white filters while having the isolation of the triple flange tips with the soundstage of the gray olives. I don't want to use the foam tips and get used to that sound because I feel the foam tips wont last long as complys for me only last a few weeks.

Warm water is fine, if there is still staining, add some soap to the mix.

Also people have used the foam olives for a year or more, just use a slightly damp towel and wipe them off once in a while. Get a pack of them in your size for less than $20 and it can last you a few years.

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #9,125 of 22,960
They're made of silicone. So they'd last.

Interesting. I think a local shop sells them around my town so i guess ill give them a try. How do they change the sound signature?

Warm water is fine, if there is still staining, add some soap to the mix.

Also people have used the foam olives for a year or more, just use a slightly damp towel and wipe them off once in a while. Get a pack of them in your size for less than $20 and it can last you a few years.

So i guess they're better constructed than complys because complys would lose their elasticity and will start falling apart real quick within weeks of use. This is even after cleaning my ears twice a day

Jan 29, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #9,126 of 22,960
Interesting. I think a local shop sells them around my town so i guess ill give them a try. How do they change the sound signature?
So i guess they're better constructed than complys because complys would lose their elasticity and will start falling apart real quick within weeks of use. This is even after cleaning my ears twice a day

They don't really change the sound signature. Tips don't usually cause any day and night difference or drastic changes. The star tips as compared to Shure stock mushroom tips provides an airier presentation of instruments and presents the bass in a tighter manner IMO.

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #9,127 of 22,960

I have never had a shure foam olive fall apart, it does lose elasticity over time, but much longer than complys (new version olives with the wax guard). Since you already have the olives, give them a try before you start throwing money at other tips. I prefer olives to the triple flange due to the comfort, but in terms of sound i prefer the brighter triple flange. Since you have both already give them a try! 

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #9,129 of 22,960
They don't really change the sound signature. Tips don't usually cause any day and night difference or drastic changes. The star tips as compared to Shure stock mushroom tips provides an airier presentation of instruments and presents the bass in a tighter manner IMO.

I think i read somewhere here in this post that star tips improve soundstage? As well as bass? That might be perfect for me since i prefer the brightness of the white filters but at the same time prefer the bass of the blue or black filters

I have never had a shure foam olive fall apart, it does lose elasticity over time, but much longer than complys (new version olives with the wax guard). Since you already have the olives, give them a try before you start throwing money at other tips. I prefer olives to the triple flange due to the comfort, but in terms of sound i prefer the brighter triple flange. Since you have both already give them a try! 

Yeah ive been on and off the triple(now double) flange and gray silicone tips all day today trying to find the right balance. As i have mentioned before, the triple flange tips are warping causing it to lose the tight seal, so it's not ideal anymore. With the gray tips, i noticed that the soundstage is a bit wider but as a result also gives up some isolation. Im using the medium sized ones which are slightly too large for my ears causing discomfort after some time, while the small ones don't form a good seal. When they first came out of box, they had the foam tips installed. I dont even remember how they sounded like anymore because I didn't want to get used to the sound thinking that they'd be as fragile as comply foam tips. I also remember what a PIA it was to take off even with the freezer method. I was pretty sure I was gonna damage them when i yanked them out. Ill give another go tho and ill check out the westone stars. Actually on second thought, considering you said that they lose the brightness compared to the silicone tips i dont think i want to try then anymore lol.. Sorry :frowning2:
Regarding the startips, Im reading a lot of good reviews of them in this thread (currently caught up to about page 60 lol)

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #9,130 of 22,960
I think i read somewhere here in this post that star tips improve soundstage? As well as bass? That might be perfect for me since i prefer the brightness of the white filters but at the same time prefer the bass of the blue or black filters
Yeah ive been on and off the triple(now double) flange and gray silicone tips all day today trying to find the right balance. As i have mentioned before, the triple flange tips are warping causing it to lose the tight seal, so it's not ideal anymore. With the gray tips, i noticed that the soundstage is a bit wider but as a result also gives up some isolation. Im using the medium sized ones which are slightly too large for my ears causing discomfort after some time, while the small ones don't form a good seal. When they first came out of box, they had the foam tips installed. I dont even remember how they sounded like anymore because I didn't want to get used to the sound thinking that they'd be as fragile as comply foam tips. I also remember what a PIA it was to take off even with the freezer method. I was pretty sure I was gonna damage them when i yanked them out. Ill give another go tho and ill check out the westone stars. Actually on second thought, considering you said that they lose the brightness compared to the silicone tips i dont think i want to try then anymore lol.. Sorry
frown.gif

Regarding the startips, Im reading a lot of good reviews of them in this thread (currently caught up to about page 60 lol)

Sounds like the triple flange tips are a better option for you than star tips, considering the star tips are harder and slightly larger than the grey tips. Just buy a pack of 6 official Shure triple flange tips for $15 and you're set for a few years.

Your reason is why I use the foams instead of my star tips, they isolate much less and hurts after 2-3 hours.

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #9,131 of 22,960
Yeah ive been on and off the triple(now double) flange and gray silicone tips all day today trying to find the right balance. As i have mentioned before, the triple flange tips are warping causing it to lose the tight seal, so it's not ideal anymore. With the gray tips, i noticed that the soundstage is a bit wider but as a result also gives up some isolation. Im using the medium sized ones which are slightly too large for my ears causing discomfort after some time, while the small ones don't form a good seal. When they first came out of box, they had the foam tips installed. I dont even remember how they sounded like anymore because I didn't want to get used to the sound thinking that they'd be as fragile as comply foam tips. I also remember what a PIA it was to take off even with the freezer method. I was pretty sure I was gonna damage them when i yanked them out. Ill give another go tho and ill check out the westone stars. Actually on second thought, considering you said that they lose the brightness compared to the silicone tips i dont think i want to try then anymore lol.. Sorry :frowning2:

Cannot be said that they improve the soundstage and bass. Compared to the stock Shure tips, the star tips do sound airier which gives a sense of larger soundstage. Bass wise it's much tighter which for me is more pleasurable.

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #9,132 of 22,960
Sounds like the triple flange tips are a better option for you than star tips, considering the star tips are harder and slightly larger than the grey tips. Just buy a pack of 6 official Shure triple flange tips for $15 and you're set for a few years.

Your reason is why I use the foams instead of my star tips, they isolate much less and hurts after 2-3 hours.

Yah I just tried them on right now. They are definitely more comfortable compared to the silicone tips but the isolation, detail, as well as bass impact suffers quite a bit. I had to take them out immediately during the first song. There is also a quite noticeable veil with these tips. Maybe its the foam or maybe it's the mesh grill wax guard on the end? Isolation is very important to me as I study a lot in noisy environments.

Cannot be said that they improve the soundstage and bass. Compared to the stock Shure tips, the star tips do sound airier which gives a sense of larger soundstage. Bass wise it's much tighter which for me is more pleasurable.

I think I might just have to give these a try. If this fails then I guess I'll stick with the triple flanges.

I was under the impression that if the opening of the tip was wider, the soundstage would also improve? That's why I was considering the westones because people said the opening was much wider than the sock tips.

Thanks for the input everyone:)

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #9,134 of 22,960
To all of those wondering if these are as good as headphones, the answer is a simple no. It just cant be possible to emulate the bass rumble and airiness of an over ear headphone. In terms of intimate detail, maybe. I don't even have awesome headphones, just beyerdynamic custom one pros and the difference is huge.

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #9,135 of 22,960
To all of those wondering if these are as good as headphones, the answer is a simple no. It just cant be possible to emulate the bass rumble and airiness of an over ear headphone. In terms of intimate detail, maybe. I don't even have awesome headphones, just beyerdynamic custom one pros and the difference is huge.

Agreed!

I would venture out a step further and say that listening to electronically amplified (reproduced) music through IEM or HP or Home Stereo and to live (unamplified) music in a concert hall are four different experiences; each has its unique appeal that can be enjoyed in its own way.

For years I attempted to upgrade and tweak my home stereo to sound as close as possible to what I heard in the Meyerson Hall in Dallas--I had season tickets near the front on the main floor as well as in the loge so I had a very good appreciation of the hall sound. After plunking over a hundred grand into my system, I finally had to admit to myself that the attempt was ill-conceived from the start and completely futile--not to mention costly.

Having compared some of the better IEM (IE800, SE846 and Roxanne...) and HP (LCD3, HE-6, TH-900, PS1000...) I arrived at a similar conclusion: two experiences different enough from one another that comparing them may be fun but not necessarily very useful.

Football and Golf: which one is better? I think I'd like to see tackle Golf. Spend too long reading a put and you get a helmet hit in the middle of your back! Wouldn't that be fun?

Have a nice day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back