Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #8,192 of 22,960
Yes, even I own a Chord Hugo.

tongue_smile.gif

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #8,195 of 22,960
I got no Hugo, you are not alone:disappointed_relieved:

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #8,196 of 22,960
I have 2 Hugos, in a stack, one for each channel.  I use the stack to drive my 2003 OEM Apple iPod earbuds.   

Match that, suckers.  

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #8,197 of 22,960
I have 2 Hugos, in a stack, one for each channel.  I use the stack to drive my 2003 OEM Apple iPod earbuds.   

Match that, suckers.  

Those buds are under heavy stress and audio load, lol :joy:

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #8,198 of 22,960
Yes, have to say also that white filter & Hugo works well
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, exactly. With my other sources they were also a bit peaky, potentially harsh. With the Hugo that all disappears- I'm just left with the energy and dynamics of the treble. AWESOME!

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #8,200 of 22,960
Just got a Hugo, gonna pair em with my Beats. :etysmile:  :wink_face:  

Congrats!! Ur gonna love them. Not sure about whether you should have sold your 846 for them, but they're great!

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #8,202 of 22,960
  Can anyone recommend tips with wider bores than the star tips? 

You don't really need wider bores considering how small the nozzle is. Have you looked into Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves though? They're pretty much the best you can get if you're looking for improvements across the spectrum. Otherwise you could try the Comply P-100 tips. They have a wide opening at the tip, but since it's foam, it does take a tiny little bit off the treble. From what I've been reading in this thread, the Star tips and the P-100s have the most positive impressions for the SE846, aside from the custom sleeves.

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #8,203 of 22,960
  You don't really need wider bores considering how small the nozzle is. Have you looked into Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves though? They're pretty much the best you can get if you're looking for improvements across the spectrum. Otherwise you could try the Comply P-100 tips. They have a wide opening at the tip, but since it's foam, it does take a tiny little bit off the treble. From what I've been reading in this thread, the Star tips and the P-100s have the most positive impressions for the SE846, aside from the custom sleeves.

Provided you actually have a good experience with custom sleeves. :p

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #8,204 of 22,960

Snagged Klipsch Large tips for free today
WOOOOW
WOW!

These replaced my Westone Star Reds as my #1 favorite. It's a surprising addition to the SE846's overall sound quality. BTW Shure tips medium size = Klipsch large size. I feel like I own a new IEM srs. I'm getting goosebumps in songs that I listen to daily.... female vocals sound RIDICULOUSLY good now with these tips, silver cable and white filters - this is the biggest benefit of these tips. Soundstage with these tips is the biggest I have heard on the 8's. Sub bass is same as the Shure Grey SIlicon tips (i.e more than with the Westone Star Red) albeit with less mid bass bloat - it definitely plays on the 8's strengths. I always found myself wanting more Subbass with the Westone tips. 

Some guy in this thread said he loses his seal using Klipsch oval tips:
PRO TIP: insert a foam tip in your ear, pull it out and take note of the orientation of the oval shape of your ear canal - use this as a reference when adjusting the oval orientation of the Klipsch tips on the SE846. I recommend using a small spacer as the stem is shorter than Shure tips. If you insert it all the way with no spacer, the nozzle sticks out of the tip maybe 1mm.

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #8,205 of 22,960

The star tips do something funky with the bass. It is not as full as with the shure foam tips. It sounds more flabby to me with the stars. Clarity is excellent though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back