Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 18, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #6,151 of 22,960
Don't the filters block or minimize certain freqs? when I went without filters, out of curiosity, it was very harsh, everything sounded more open as well. Anyway, how do the filters create a spike at a certain freq? Unless I'm not fully understanding

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #6,152 of 22,960
Blues all the way. As far as I can tell, the whites don't actually "flatten" the response at all, they add a spike to the treble that gives it the appearance of being brighter.

Just checked the graphs and I was right:

Notice how the blues and whites are effectively the same until 2KHz where they pop upward and then a little after 10KHz they meet up again. IMO the best strategy with the 8's is sticking with the blues and then playing with tips for the ones that offer the right amount of low end, that'll give you roughly the most linear response, even if it's not flat. 

I am wondering what the graph would look like with the modded black filters I use. I also wonder what FR difference is using the SCS, or did Sensaphonics tune the canal tube to be as close to stock as possible.

Whites were okay to me, but from my ears, the modded black sounded better, as it tamed the harshness of the whites, and made it maybe a tad less bright, but also made it more musical as well.

Good tips regarding maximizing bass response, and I may add, having that deep, sung insertion of whatever tips you are using will be one of a few ways to maximize frequency and bass response.

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #6,153 of 22,960
Don't the filters block or minimize certain freqs? when I went without filters, out of curiosity, it was very harsh, everything sounded more open as well. Anyway, how do the filters create a spike at a certain freq? Unless I'm not fully understanding

I don't know the exact mechanisms of the filters, all I know is that they do shape the sound. "Full afterburner" as some guys here have taken to calling it is, in my opinion, like pulling the housing off of your big headphones and just pressing the drivers against your ears. They're not intended to do that. If you like the sound, that's fine, more power to ya, but that's a mod IMO. 

Sep 18, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #6,155 of 22,960
Maybe I will switch to the blues after a week or so.

For now, the current setup has opened up the sound like a can of Oskar Blues' Ten Fidy imperial stout... :p

Texturally speaking, the modded blacks lacked something, particularly when listening to metal.

I am hoping that the Westone tips reduce the fatiguing element that forced me to go (modded) black in the first place.

Sep 19, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #6,156 of 22,960
I never listen to metal, so I wouldn't be able to give a fair comparison of the sound compared to different filters, tips, etc to make as educated of a response as I could. With that said, I can say with certainty that the SCS has elevated my listening experience, and have made the modded black filters that much better with every genre, including metal. In my opinion the SCS with modded blacks sound more sublime, musical, palpable and supple.

Sep 19, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #6,157 of 22,960
I should be more specific when I say "lacked something," for it is quite a sweeping statement of a product that, really, doesn't lack anything whatsoever.  When paired with the Westone tips, the music was brought closer in some ways and further away in others.  It is not easy to explain.  Perhaps the desire to hear music differently led to some sort of placebo effect?

Dang, I am tired and it's a Friday night on which I should be out seeking libation.  Instead, more listening with the white filters is the order of the night. :)

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #6,158 of 22,960
Hi,

Happy SE846 owner reporting in from New Zealand, been enjoying these beauties for just over two months now :D

My setup: Fiio X5, Ted Allen LITZ cable, SE846 (black mod filters, triple flange tips). The only problem I'm having is that since trying the black mod filters I absolutely love how my music has opened up in detail and clarity, particularly in the highs, yet at times the highs can be bit harsh on my ears. Anybody found a way to keep that same clarity yet get rid of that spike in the highs? I am currently waiting on my audiologist to send my ear impressions off to get some SCS!

Looking at moving into CIEMs next, most likely the Noble Audio Kaiser 10. Anybody know of a CIEM that is an improved version of the SE846 sound (glorious bass + full detail and clarity)?

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #6,159 of 22,960
I can't speak first-hand, but the general consensus seems to be that the JH Roxanne is Das Ubermensch version of the SE846. 

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #6,160 of 22,960
  Hi,

Happy SE846 owner reporting in from New Zealand, been enjoying these beauties for just over two months now :D

My setup: Fiio X5, Ted Allen LITZ cable, SE846 (black mod filters, triple flange tips). The only problem I'm having is that since trying the black mod filters I absolutely love how my music has opened up in detail and clarity, particularly in the highs, yet at times the highs can be bit harsh on my ears. Anybody found a way to keep that same clarity yet get rid of that spike in the highs? I am currently waiting on my audiologist to send my ear impressions off to get some SCS!

Looking at moving into CIEMs next, most likely the Noble Audio Kaiser 10. Anybody know of a CIEM that is an improved version of the SE846 sound (glorious bass + full detail and clarity)?

I find that using my HL Silver Litz that the highs become too much for me.  Unfortunately I haven't used them much lately because of that.

Sep 19, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #6,161 of 22,960
i really never ever heard such great iems, and i was wondering do you think guys shure will come up with more filters to play with sound signatures more, its really fun to have the shure 846 what a sound, man this is really the best iem

due to my disappointment with my full headphone audeze lcd2 rev 2 combo with chord i need to sell my shure to fund another dull headphone which really sucks and the reason is the audeze and not the hugo because with the shure and hugo combo boy the bass is slamming and the sound sig is simply amazing, but i know in advance i will regret it, if no one will buy i am lucky to keep it as this is the best iem i hear, and people who see my posts know how difficult i am to please. 

I am thinking to raise the asking price that i advertised it for so if they get sold i will not feel so much regret.

BUT shure nailed it, I am using the blue filer which is a joy and with my hugo it sounds great.

Sep 19, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #6,162 of 22,960
Why sell them if you love them? You really feel like you need a different pair of headphones? Weren't you enjoying using the Fiio amp along with Hugo to add the coloration you felt was missing? Plus you are adding the digizoid, maybe give that a chance with your headphones?

Sep 19, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #6,163 of 22,960
Why sell them if you love them? You really feel like you need a different pair of headphones? Weren't you enjoying using the Fiio amp along with Hugo to add the coloration you felt was missing? Plus you are adding the digizoid, maybe give that a chance with your headphones?

i realized besides the audeze i need a full closed audiophile headphone and i leaning towards th900 which r expensive i am sure i ll miss the 846

the digizoid will arrive sunday, but the weak link in my set that suits my sound sig is the audeze, if only someone can buy it from me thats great so i can keep the 846, but i put an add on audeze and it seems my price is too high and if i sell less than the price i put then it will be a big financial loss

Sep 19, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #6,164 of 22,960
I waited in line for the iPhone last night/today (first time ever doing that) wanting to get the Plus, but after playing with it in my local Verizon store this morning, I was not able to use it with one hand at all really.  I felt like even with a case on it, that it would be prone to being dropped.  It truly is a HUGE (read: long) phone - especially by iPhone's past standards.  So I wound up getting the 128GB 6 in Space Gray (Black) and my fiancé got the 64GB 6 in Gold.

So real quick impressions regarding the iPhone 6 paired with the SE846.

Listened to tracks via Spotify - Extreme Setting (320 kbs) and Neutron Media Player.

Compared to the iPhone 5, the iPhone 6 is even more sensitive than the iPhone 5, meaning every bit of the sound is articulated that much more.  The iPhone 6 needs to be turned down 2-3 volume clicks down to match the iPhone 5's volume output.

The 6 is very crystal clear in its delivery, at least with my setup (modded blacks, SCS, HL Silver Litz) and acts more like there is a more powerful DAC/amp inside compared to the iPhone 5 by a significant margin (I'm not exaggerating).

The 6's soundstage has broadened, more in an authoritative way.  The bass is even more pronounced now, and has slightly more decay/reverberation, but hits hard.  The imaging is ridiculous.  Listening to it now, the 6 is...amazing, especially for it being only a smartphone.

I do not yet know what Apple did regarding their DAC/amp/whatever internal iOS 8 software tweaking they used, but the music that is delivered is enhanced with incredible imagery, take-no-prisoners approach to delivering the music to your noggin, and never ceasing bringing the smile off of my face.

Of course, your mileage may vary, but it is a pretty big, oh heck -- big step up from the 5.

Sep 19, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #6,165 of 22,960
You'd rather keep something g that doesn't sound that good and sell something you love? Just so you don't have a financial loss? keeping the audeze, if you don't like it, makes it fairly useless, which in turn makes it worthless enjoyment wise. Not trying to tell you what to do, I apologize if I am coming off that way. I'd rather sell something and lose money than keep it and watch it collect dust. Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back