Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #5,806 of 22,945

While I wait for my 8's to get fixed I'm actually thinking I'll check out the Aurisonics aSG-2.5 since I can get a pair nearby. Roxannes I'd love to get my hands on, but dang.

I also own the ASG2. Very close in sound to the ASG2.5 according Aurisonics. I would actually recommend the ASG2 or 2.5 over the Roxanne Universal if you own the 846. There is a greater difference in sound signature from the 846 to the ASG line, vs the Roxanne I feel. The ASG2 is a very good IEM, I feel like it should be worth double the price for what it can do. The Roxanne sounds aggressive and forward, with HUGE headroom. I've never experienced such an IEM or headphone with this much headroom for that matter. The ASG2 seems to have a much better balance in sound, with the dial about 1/3 to 1/2 open...past that and bloom occurs. I did not want to purchase the 2.5 due to the fact that it was close in sound signature to the ASG2. This is why I jumped to the Roxanne Universal...I may return it due to the fact that the 846 sounds similar, if not better. 

Sep 2, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #5,807 of 22,945
That's very interesting stuff, Eugguy. So you think the Rox UF and 846 sound similar? Where did you purchase the Rox UF that allows you to return it?

I wonder if using the inline volume control with the black filter and (soundstage extending) triple-flange tips (sticking out) gets the 846 even closer to the Rox UF. I imagine the Rox has a treble edge. Most who have both tend to say the Rox UF is better at everything (with the exception of  sub-bass depth).

The Rox UF looks ridiculously large. What size tips fit?

Sep 2, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #5,809 of 22,945
That's very interesting stuff, Eugguy. So you think the Rox UF and 846 sound similar? Where did you purchase the Rox UF that allows you to return it?

I wonder if using the inline volume control with the black filter and (soundstage extending) triple-flange tips (sticking out) gets the 846 even closer to the Rox UF. I imagine the Rox has a treble edge. Most who have both tend to say the Rox UF is better at everything (with the exception of  sub-bass depth).

Oooh, the inline volume control? That black nasty thing? Avoid at all costs.

Sep 2, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #5,810 of 22,945

Hey TruckDriver, you can PM me for where I bought it. I'm not sure if I should divulge that info publicly. I believe they (846/Rox) sound more similar than the (846/ASG)...there are lots of little nuances and details that STILL separate the two premium IEMs, but in general I feel that if you want another great sounding IEM that holds a varying sound signature over the 846, the ASG is most likely it. I won't be returning the Roxanne, it is a great IEM in itself. I actually love it for chillout, indie...it has a soundstage that I can't quite get a grasp of. It is crazy aggressive for my Electronic/House music. 

For the 846, I use the black filter, if that helps for comparison purposes. Rox does DEF have a treble edge to it. Wouldn't say it sibilant, but at higher levels, it may get a bit squeamish. I am using the largest silicone single flange tips...they are actually very well built and fit PERFECTLY in my ear canal, almost condom like, w/suction when pulling the Rox out of my ears...
redface.gif

Sep 2, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #5,813 of 22,945
I just order the Roxanne CIEM and maybe doing a direct comparison with SE846 with Sleeves. One thing I know for sure is SE846 sound stage is not as wide or out of the head as Customs like UE18 PRO. If iI remember correctly, the universal version of UE18 Pro has a narrower sound stage than the customs version. When I look at the customs version, I saw 2 tubes instead of 1 merging into the bore, not sure if that helps on the sound stage. 

Sep 2, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #5,815 of 22,945
Are the sleeves easily removed? I love the fact that the 8s fit so deep, easier to sleep with when needed.

I'm sorry, was your question directed to me?  And do you mean the Roxanne's sleeves, or my SCS?

Sep 2, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #5,817 of 22,945
Yes, if you can tell me if the scs can come off easily. I like the way the 8s fit now, especially for laying in bed.

Do you mean the SCS from the nozzle, or from my ear?  I was just writing a response to that (taking out the SCS from the nozzle) but then it donned on me that you may be talking about how difficult it is to take off the SE846 (with the SCS on) from my ears.  Which one is it? (or both?) 
regular_smile .gif
  If it is from my ears that you are wondering, that's in the review.

Sep 2, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #5,818 of 22,945
Yes, if you can tell me if the scs can come off easily. I like the way the 8s fit now, especially for laying in bed.

you need a nut cracker .. Ok just kiddin, its pretty easy to come off from the 8s. 

For me, the easiest to hardest to remove and put on are as follows

1) UE Pro 18 custom (easiest)
2) Shure SE846 with westone foam tips (quite easy but need some twisting in)
3) Shure SE846 with SCS. 

I am actually quite surprise by a customs IEM being is easier to come off and put on than universal tips. I always imagine customs must be difficult but after I got the UE CIEM, I am able put both them together at the same time with one hand (1 hand for each nut at the same time in 1 sec) and I am not even using Lub. It fits perfectly always almost all the time. 

Sep 2, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #5,820 of 22,945
Once you get the hang of taking the SCS in and out (practice), insertion and removal is a breeze. Also, the SCS needs a couple drops of water based silicone when you are first inserting it for around the first week. Then the SCS doesn't need any more lubrication because it becomes slicker from your wax. Even cleaning them helps the SCS become easier to insert and remove. Acrylic is hard and smooth, and does not conform (read: pliable) to your ears like the SCS, so that will automatically make insertion and removal of the SCS less than a second longer to remove than for example the acrylics, Westone Star-Fit and/or Shure Olives. To have the exemplary fit, seal, and isolation that is unrivaled (in my opinion) is well worth the fraction of a second increase regarding insertion and removal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back