Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #5,821 of 22,945
I'm sorry, I meant removing them from the 8s themselves, if that's possible. I really like the low profile I have with them, I mean it's not the end of the world obviously. At night though, they are literally buried in my ears. makes sleeping with them a bit easier since they don't protrude.

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #5,822 of 22,945
I'm sorry, I meant removing them from the 8s themselves, if that's possible. I really like the low profile I have with them, I mean it's not the end of the world obviously. At night though, they are literally buried in my ears. makes sleeping with them a bit easier since they don't protrude.

No worries, sorry if I misunderstood you.

It is easy to take off the SCS after a few times of the sleeves being inserted and removed from the SE846's nozzles.  But...I wouldn't think (my opinion) that there would be an issue regarding pain sleeping with the SCS because the silicone is forgiving enough to not harm you if you lay on your side (I tried it right now on my pillow and it felt fine).  Also, the pliability of the silicone will allow the seal to stay isolated a little bit better than acrylics if/when you are moving around on your pillow(s).  

Hope this helps.

Sep 3, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #5,823 of 22,945
Nine days without my 8s, and counting. Jaben says that they will be returned along with a new shipment of Shure stock. While horrifically annoying if not torturous, I am of the thinking that a third batch release with new improvements in design is on the way. This can only explain the delay. I was hoping for a repair, not a replacement in all honesty.

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #5,826 of 22,945
I'm not sure... I am beginning to think that, perhaps, Shure released the 8s prematurely because of the IE800. Maybe they had not perfected the exact design and architecture.

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #5,828 of 22,945
I'm sure they have sold a large quantity of these phones, there will be issues like with anything else. To me, and I have a few TOTL IEMS, their build quality seems to surpass all others I've tried. I actually worry very little about them breaking. Plus, from what I hear, their customer service is beyond top notch.

ps-i want to change the filters... I'm very curious about that. it's been a while now, we'll over a week since I received them and still rocking what they originally came with. is this a difficult procedure? I have my Shure box hidden in my trunk, Fiancé don't need to know about my sickness... it would be grounds for divorce before we even got married... lol

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #5,829 of 22,945
I'm not sure... I am beginning to think that, perhaps, Shure released the 8s prematurely because of the IE800. Maybe they had not perfected the exact design and architecture.

I believe that was the case with the first batch back in August 2013. When my 8s died in January of 2014 and were promptly replaced, I swear they sound differently. Better tonal balance and coherency but it could have been placebo. Since the first batch, I have heard of no major issues or problems.

As for competition from the ie800. I believe the ie800 was released over 9 months before the 8s and the 8s were delayed for 3 months and even then very few were produced initially.

Not to excuse Shure but the 846 is a very technical piece to manufacture. The low pass filter alone is laser welded with holes 40 microns wide and according to sources only one technician is able to accomplish the work.

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #5,830 of 22,945
I believe that was the case with the first batch back in August 2013. When my 8s died in January of 2014 and were promptly replaced, I swear they sound differently. Better tonal balance and coherency but it could have been placebo. Since the first batch, I have heard of no major issues or problems.

As for competition from the ie800. I believe the ie800 was released over 9 months before the 8s and the 8s were delayed for 3 months and even then very few were produced initially.

Not to excuse Shure but the 846 is a very technical piece to manufacture. The low pass filter alone is laser welded with holes 40 microns wide and according to sources only one technician is able to accomplish the work.

Somehow I'm still going strong with my first-batch unit.  I feel like I've been lucky.  On the other hand, your comments make me wonder if I'm missing out on improved sound.

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #5,834 of 22,945

Somehow I'm still going strong with my first-batch unit.  I feel like I've been lucky.  On the other hand, your comments make me wonder if I'm missing out on improved sound.

I would put money down that you're not missing out. It's a reliability and build quality issue, not SQ degradation. In my case, my right earpiece is suddenly getting quiet.

I got off the horn with Shure and they were pretty cool about it, basically saying that I can either send just the right earpiece in for a replacement or send both in and they'll test them out to make sure everything is on the up and up. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back