Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #5,761 of 22,945
Aug 31, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #5,762 of 22,945
Normally those two.  They have a sister/brother company here in the southeast that also carries the Westone line.  However, traditional In-Motion no longer carries Westone.  For Over the ear, they do have Beyer Dynamic if I recall and a few others.  However, the AK3003 and SE846 are pretty much the 2 TOTL IEMs you will see in most stores.

Aug 31, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #5,764 of 22,945
Normally those two.  They have a sister/brother company here in the southeast that also carries the Westone line.  However, traditional In-Motion no longer carries Westone.  For Over the ear, they do have Beyer Dynamic if I recall and a few others.  However, the AK3003 and SE846 are pretty much the 2 TOTL IEMs you will see in most stores.

That's great info, M Coupe, thanks for that. I'll make sure to make a note of what TOTL IEMs/headphones are at the John Wayne Airport Location.

I know that there is a brick and mortar store in Monrovia, CA (So. Cal) that has the Hugo for demo if anyone in the So. Cal area wants to check it out.

Great, thanks!

Most definitely. If you decide to get them, let us know. :bigsmile_face:

Aug 31, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #5,765 of 22,945
Dear fellow Helpless Meat Puppets,

A good friend just placed an order for 8s and would like to know which mid tier DAP would be best either the iBasso DX90 or the Fiio X5.

Output impedance is not an issue as he will be getting a balanced Ray Samuls amp. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Spook

Aug 31, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #5,766 of 22,945

A good friend just placed an order for 8s and would like to know which mid tier DAP would be best either the iBasso DX90 or the Fiio X5.

Output impedance is not an issue as he will be getting a balanced Ray Samuls amp. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Spook

Hey Spook,

Is there any way your friend could possibly try them both out and return the one he/she doesn't like?

Aug 31, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #5,767 of 22,945

Spook

I haven't tried both yet, but the X5 is excellent. There is the slightest hint of noise through the 8s when in a quiet environment with nothing playing, but it is completely insignificant once the music starts playing and I'm really fussy about background noise. The X5 also offers the excellent HS6 stacking kit option so you don't have a rubber band slapped across the interface of your device. That said, I wonder if the DX90 would better fit the RSA amps' footprints?

Aug 31, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #5,768 of 22,945
I haven't tried both yet, but the X5 is excellent. There is the slightest hint of noise through the 8s when in a quiet environment with nothing playing, but it is completely insignificant once the music starts playing and I'm really fussy about background noise. The X5 also offers the excellent HS6 stacking kit option so you don't have a rubber band slapped across the interface of your device. That said, I wonder if the DX90 would better fit the RSA amps' footprints?

I hear that hissing noise during the silent part of tracks with the x5 too, but people didn't really believe me. The DX90 doesn't have any of that noise.

Alone, I personally think the DX90 sounds better. I've never tried amping it since it has a very good amp.

The x5 has a longer battery life(12 hours from my experience), and 2 micro SD slots. The DX90 has like 7 hours, and only 1 micro SD slot. One has a sensitive touch screen, and the other has a wheel which sucks if you have a lot of songs.

Aug 31, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #5,770 of 22,945
Moedawg, back from my trip and yes the neutron music player sounds better than the apple player. Thanks for that.

Aug 31, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #5,771 of 22,945
Moedawg, back from my trip and yes the neutron music player sounds better than the apple player. Thanks for that.

Beautiful! That's what I'm talkin' about. No worries, enjoy, and have yourself a great Sunday evening.

Sep 1, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #5,772 of 22,945
So today me and my family went out on our pontoon boat. I typically take my 846 for listening pleasure. We ended up nailing a big rogue wave and the boat took on like 2 feet of water instantly and it sprayed everywhere essentially drenching me. Being a pontoon boat it snapped back up outta the water instantly but only made more water spray everywhere all over me and the shures. I was upset but quite confident as they were in my ears and unaffected by the water that was on the shell and wire.

I went home quickly and put them in my dehumidifier westone monitor vault as a precaution.

All in all these headphones are quite durable. More so than any other westone or earsonic I've owned.

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #5,773 of 22,945
So today me and my family went out on our pontoon boat. I typically take my 846 for listening pleasure. We ended up nailing a big rogue wave and the boat took on like 2 feet of water instantly and it sprayed everywhere essentially drenching me. Being a pontoon boat it snapped back up outta the water instantly but only made more water spray everywhere all over me and the shures. I was upset but quite confident as they were in my ears and unaffected by the water that was on the shell and wire.

I went home quickly and put them in my dehumidifier westone monitor vault as a precaution.

All in all these headphones are quite durable. More so than any other westone or earsonic I've owned.

Major cajones taking your SE846 out on a boat
blink.gif

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #5,774 of 22,945
  Has anyone here tried the iBasso PB-2 with your 8s? If so, how do/did you like it?

Not much.
 I love my PB-2, and I have the DB-2 as well for full balanced portable big can driveability.  But even with the lowest possible gain configuration, with my 846s I can only set the volume at 1 or 2 at absolute max (single-ended; no mp3s, mostly 24bit flac, wav and aiff).  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back