Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 22, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #4,532 of 22,960

Ignore the people whose answer is "replace everything". Some people have yet to wrap their heads around the idea that we like our headphones to be conveniently mobile.

I have to find a short term solution to this. I don't mind upgrading my equipment, but I need to have a phone that works at least fairly well with my IEMs, because I take them everywhere. Does anyone here use them with the Galaxy S4? I can't be the only one!! Is this a known issue? It's not the audio quality that's the issue (it's actually not bad), but the popping sound is unacceptable. Any more ideas for a fix? Also, if I were to upgrade my phone at some point in the near future, which Android phone that can be used for at&t has the best audio quality?

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #4,533 of 22,960
To rule out the source, Do you hear popping noise with streaming also?
Found this regarding S4 - http://www.head-fi.org/t/662314/galaxy-s4-and-audio-crackling-issue-with-ue600

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #4,535 of 22,960
The iPod Touch 5th has an ruler flat output and can handle files up to 24/48. http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/ipod-touch-5g/audio-quality.htm

Since 64GB is plenty of portable storage for all my FLAC/ALAC and I do not buy into the voodoo of high resolution music, the only function I miss with a boutique DAP would be a balanced output. A balanced DAP would cost 2-6 times what my humble iPod cost so I see no need or interest. Also, based upon reviewers like JAmato with an existing balanced amp (with phase split circuitry like my RSA F-35 Lightning) the added benefit of a balanced DAP is limited or negligible.

Being able to handle 24/48 is not = auto good SQ output.  If you are happy with the SQ from your iPod, then you just save yourself a bunch of $$$.  Gratz...
biggrin.gif

In my case, the difference between my Samsung S4/iPod vs the X5 is too obvious that I don't need to be on anything or imagine to hear the SQ improvement.  I still have 3 iPhones, 1 5s for work, 2 4s given to my boys to play game.  I've gone through a few iPads.  My old iPod is still in the drawer.  Sorry to say this but IMO and to my ears, NO, the iPod doesn't hold a candle to dedicated DAPs such as DX90, X5, HM-901...this doesn't mean iPod or Samsung S4 sound like sh...t.  They are just not on the same SQ level.

My personal rule is that if I can't hear the difference, I won't buy, even for a penny.  For example, I've never bought an upgraded HP cable.  
tongue.gif

Peace out!

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #4,536 of 22,960

I have to find a short term solution to this. I don't mind upgrading my equipment, but I need to have a phone that works at least fairly well with my IEMs, because I take them everywhere. Does anyone here use them with the Galaxy S4? I can't be the only one!! Is this a known issue? It's not the audio quality that's the issue (it's actually not bad), but the popping sound is unacceptable. Any more ideas for a fix? Also, if I were to upgrade my phone at some point in the near future, which Android phone that can be used for at&t has the best audio quality?

I do use my 846 with my Samsung S4 at the beginning until I got the X5.  I never had this popping sound issue.  What app are you using to play your music?  Have you tried a different app and see if the problem still persists?

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #4,537 of 22,960
To rule out the source, Do you hear popping noise with streaming also?
Found this regarding S4 - http://www.head-fi.org/t/662314/galaxy-s4-and-audio-crackling-issue-with-ue600

I didn't try streaming, since that's generally not how I listen to music (it's all stored locally). I tried shutting off all equalizers and everything of the sort. I tried PowerAmp as well as the google "play music" app, and they both have the issue, but only with the 846. The 535s don't do it.

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #4,538 of 22,960
After giving it some thought, I've decided that I'll probably purchase the Fiio X5 to go with my se846. There is a local store that I can demo it at later this week to make sure I like the sound of it. My thoughts are that it should offer a fairly nice SQ upgrade over my phone without breaking the bank too much, and if I want to add an external amp (Maybe even a balanced one? We'll see....) down the road, I can always do that. So I'll head in to demo that soon, and I plan on ordering a cable from the headphone lounge soon as well. I'll post my thoughts here when I get the new gear. Thank you all for your input!
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #4,539 of 22,960
  I do use my 846 with my Samsung S4 at the beginning until I got the X5.  I never had this popping sound issue.  What app are you using to play your music?  Have you tried a different app and see if the problem still persists?

I'm using PowerAmp. I tried the google app called "play music." Maybe I should try a few others players and see if any of them eliminate it altogether. It really only seems to happen on louder tracks, (such as The Call of Ktulu by Metallica) and at volume over 50%. The SE846 definitely can go way louder than any IEM I've had before (although the S4 sounds like crap driving them at high volumes)

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #4,540 of 22,960
Yes, but 535 and 846 are not the same design. The issue seems to be S4s amp not being able to drive low impedance IEMs.
535 is 36 ohms, whereas 846 is only 9 ohms. From the thread, I linked before.

Hence it seems that as it was already pointed the S4 built in amp is not capable to deal with low impedance loads. Which is an unforgivable fault for a mobile device. It seems that Samsung is never able to ship rounded handhelds when it's not the gps is the screen or the amp.

I would recommend a dedicated DAP like X3, before you upgrade your phone.

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #4,541 of 22,960
  After giving it some thought, I've decided that I'll probably purchase the Fiio X5 to go with my se846. There is a local store that I can demo it at later this week to make sure I like the sound of it. My thoughts are that it should offer a fairly nice SQ upgrade over my phone without breaking the bank too much, and if I want to add an external amp (Maybe even a balanced one? We'll see....) down the road, I can always do that. So I'll head in to demo that soon, and I plan on ordering a cable from the headphone lounge soon as well. I'll post my thoughts here when I get the new gear. Thank you all for your input!
bigsmile_face.gif

+1.  This was precisely my thought process.

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #4,542 of 22,960

I'm using PowerAmp. I tried the google app called "play music." Maybe I should try a few others players and see if any of them eliminate it altogether. It really only seems to happen on louder tracks, (such as The Call of Ktulu by Metallica) and at volume over 50%. The SE846 definitely can go way louder than any IEM I've had before (although the S4 sounds like crap driving them at high volumes)

We are using the same apps then. 
mad.gif

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #4,543 of 22,960
Yes, but 535 and 846 are not the same design. The issue seems to be S4s amp not being able to drive low impedance IEMs.
535 is 36 ohms, whereas 846 is only 9 ohms. From the thread, I linked before.
I would recommend a dedicated DAP like X3, before you upgrade your phone.

I just did some more detailed playing with the equalizer in PowerAmp. I tried pulling each bar down to 0, one at a time to see if I could figure out where the popping is happening. When I pulled the 4k slider down to 0, all popping goes away. To me, that doesn't help understand anything, but perhaps to the more technically savvy folks here it might help explain exactly what the problem here is.

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #4,544 of 22,960

I just did some more detailed playing with the equalizer in PowerAmp. I tried pulling each bar down to 0, one at a time to see if I could figure out where the popping is happening. When I pulled the 4k slider down to 0, all popping goes away. To me, that doesn't help understand anything, but perhaps to the more technically savvy folks here it might help explain exactly what the problem here is.

Try this.

• Google "test tone" and find one around 4k.
  • play the test tone with eq to 0 for the 4k band
  • then increase 4k band by 1dB at a time
  • note when the popping comes back
This process will confirm your problem and narrow it down to the trouble frequency.  It sounds to me like "clipping" at certain frequencies which is a defect of some sort in the phone audio out.

Another side note, if you must EQ on your phone, to avoid clipping do subtractive EQ, instead of additive.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back