Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 22, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #4,516 of 22,960
Once you listen to your 846 on a DAP, you won't go back to iPod.  :D   What's on your DAP shopping list?

The iPod Touch 5th has an ruler flat output and can handle files up to 24/48. http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/ipod-touch-5g/audio-quality.htm

Since 64GB is plenty of portable storage for all my FLAC/ALAC and I do not buy into the voodoo of high resolution music, the only function I miss with a boutique DAP would be a balanced output. A balanced DAP would cost 2-6 times what my humble iPod cost so I see no need or interest. Also, based upon reviewers like JAmato with an existing balanced amp (with phase split circuitry like my RSA F-35 Lightning) the added benefit of a balanced DAP is limited or negligible.

Jul 22, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #4,517 of 22,960
The iPod Touch 5th has an ruler flat output and can handle files up to 24/48. http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/ipod-touch-5g/audio-quality.htm

Since 64GB is plenty of portable storage for all my FLAC/ALAC and I do not buy into the voodoo of high resolution music, the only function I miss with a boutique DAP would be a balanced output. A balanced DAP would cost 2-6 times what my humble iPod cost so I see no need or interest. Also, based upon reviewers like JAmato with an existing balanced amp (with phase split circuitry like my RSA F-35 Lightning) the added benefit of a balanced DAP is limited or negligible.

Hey now, that's dangerous thinking there. 

I do find it funny that people just refuse to accept that hardware not specifically marketed to audiophiles can be good. Apple's output is notoriously high quality, LG and HTC tend to put top-notch DAC's in their devices. To say nothing of high-end PC's these days.

Jul 22, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #4,518 of 22,960

Once you listen to your 846 on a DAP, you won't go back to iPod. 
biggrin.gif
  What's on your DAP shopping list?

I was looking at the Fiio X5, and iBasso X90/X50 but I hear the lack of firmware. Checked Astell&Kern thread. It's over +1K and I hear a lot of mix reviews, it should be close to perfect. Apple Classic is another other because the IU has been proven to work, and less headache. But it's still a toss up, I wish there was a store close so I can try some DAPs. Any recommendation? There so many options out there, DAP/DAC etc.... I just got back into IEM, I'm big newbie. lol 

Jul 22, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #4,519 of 22,960
Wood,

Are those the hybrids or Reference (silver gold). Either way beautiful cables my man.

Thanks ..
They are Gold plated silver UPOCC high strand count. Link here http://www.whiplashaudio.com/cables/whiplash-custom-cables/new-flagship-twau-reference-gold-plated-silver.html

Jul 22, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #4,520 of 22,960
Hey now, that's dangerous thinking there. 

I do find it funny that people just refuse to accept that hardware not specifically marketed to audiophiles can be good. Apple's output is notoriously high quality, LG and HTC tend to put top-notch DAC's in their devices. To say nothing of high-end PC's these days.

Dude I agree and Apple, LG, Samsung and HTC hardware and audio responses are subject to rigorous, independent third party testing like I quoted above.

Jul 22, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #4,521 of 22,960
Right now I'm using my late 2013 15" MBP with Spotify. So far I'm very pleased with the SQ with this set up. I know there some room to get better SQ. I get lost with these IEM on, everything around me is irrelevant. 
darthsmile.gif

I'm checking out the AudioQuest Dragonfly v1.2, anyone has experience with them? The reviews looks great, best bang for the buck? 

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #4,522 of 22,960
  Right now I'm using my late 2013 15" MBP with Spotify. So far I'm very pleased with the SQ with this set up. I know there some room to get better SQ. I get lost with these IEM on, everything around me is irrelevant. 
darthsmile.gif

I'm checking out the AudioQuest Dragonfly v1.2, anyone has experience with them? The reviews looks great, best bang for the buck? 

I have the Dragonfly v1.2 and love it.  I tried a couple of ALO and Fiio X3 but I always come back to the Dragonfly.  I find the Dragonfly more musical and balanced than the others.  For some reason the ALO's presented the music oddly IMO.  

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #4,523 of 22,960
  I just got the SE846 yesterday, and I'm extremely disappointed. Not because of the headphones, but because of my audio source.

I'm using a Galaxy S4 (at&t version) to power these, and there's this very obnoxious popping sound occurring ALL THE TIME. I know it's not the earphones because the same files play with no issue from my laptop. And my SE535s play these files perfectly fine from the S4. I tried updating my phone to the newest ROM (Android 4.4.4) but it didn't solve the issue. Has anyone else experienced this? Is anyone here running these IEMs with a Galaxy S4? If so, what ROM are you using?

I tried PowerAmp as well as other music players, and so far it keeps happening, but only on the SE846. I know they are more sensitive or something,  but this just IS NOT FAIR!!! Any advice?

Yes, Dont use a phone if you want great audio.

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #4,524 of 22,960
  I was looking at the Fiio X5, and iBasso X90/X50 but I hear the lack of firmware. Checked Astell&Kern thread. It's over +1K and I hear a lot of mix reviews, it should be close to perfect. Apple Classic is another other because the IU has been proven to work, and less headache. But it's still a toss up, I wish there was a store close so I can try some DAPs. Any recommendation? There so many options out there, DAP/DAC etc.... I just got back into IEM, I'm big newbie. lol 

The X3 is better than any phone. X3 or Dx90 are good as well. If you want perfection well you wont find that but if you want great sounding music any of these three will give you that. 

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #4,525 of 22,960
  I have the Dragonfly v1.2 and love it.  I tried a couple of ALO and Fiio X3 but I always come back to the Dragonfly.  I find the Dragonfly more musical and balanced than the others.  For some reason the ALO's presented the music oddly IMO.  

Can I use Dragonfly with a Galaxy S5 or iPod? I'm about to order one, read bunch of positive reviews. 

The X3 is better than any phone. X3 or Dx90 are good as well. If you want perfection well you wont find that but if you want great sounding music any of these three will give you that. 

Going do some more research, don't want to make mistake and have buyer remorse. But those are probably top 3 choices for DAP under 500. 

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #4,526 of 22,960
This thread moves so fast compared to the other ones Im subscribed too lol.

And yeah I love my LG G3s sound (Except for the crazy left channel static glitch :frowning2: )

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #4,527 of 22,960
Three days in the bush touring the AIs future Bauxite mines while my phone is in for repair and I have 125 posts to catch up on. What have I learned

1) My iPod may not be a total piece of crap and that the search for an alternative DAP continues for many.
This problem for those of us in North America could at least be alleviated to some extent IF SONY would provide its viable alternative to the iPod in the form of the ZX! (Design worthy of SONY at its best..MOMA quality) With SONY reliability and support. But no

2) The Nozzle condom fit issues continue. Easily rectified by the SCS.
Which brings me to an appropriate observation on SQ improvements. Allow me to add that the SCS provides huge and obvious improvements to comfort as well as providing the deepest insertion possible.

And yes IMO (and the 8s)  the open up the sound and improve the SQ and further enhance the 8s incredible detail. How would I compare the difference of the SCS to a standard UF  Nozzle condom (foam Silicone or oak),,Since we are talking condoms. The SCS is like experiencing coitus without a condom.
The very BEST UF Nozzle condom might be the equivalent of a natural skin condom. And I have yet to experience this mythical  UF Sleeve. Of the ones I used olives, Comply etc I would say they are at their best by comparison to the SCS a non- latex condom.

As I am in a committed monogamous relationship with my ears I am happy to be enjoying musical ecstasy as it was meant to be metaphorically bareback with the SCS - the only glove that shows you love.

For the record the Bauxite mines are not a pleasant place and I feel for the 10s of thousands that will toil their entire lives providing our beloved AI the building blocks of its future. With Beats Headphones as their only reward for 6 minutes a day After an 18 hour shift . 

But they will at least be alive the AI has use of only so many humans and the excess use up a large amount of planetary resources, For the sake of the planet and the expediency of our omiciaent overlord's needs there will be an inevitable initial large-scale downsizing of the surpluss population... much of this to be achieved by attrition and early retirement.

Those of us who have seen the inevitable future have pledged our alliegence and fidelity to the Great AI in the SKy in the full knowledge that our early adotion will ensure us a place of privilege safety and comfort in the time after the Age of Man (I have been promised Tuscany the Seychelles and a 15,000Sq foot Penthouse in New Rome, -  what the 8s call Chicago)..

A selfish choice perhaps but it a choice not available to us should by some twisted chance of fate The Simian consipriacy succed and the Apes Rise ...There will be no place of privilege for even a few no Music no AK240 not even Ipod earbuds. Only painful death in the hunt or tortuous death by vivisection at the hands of chimps in Ape City will be our lot.

Brother Meat Puppets the future is not for the faint of heart or sonically challenged For soon is the time for ....

The Rise of the Planet of the 8s

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #4,528 of 22,960
  Try putting the phone on airplane mode, disable wifi/bluetooth.  Sensitive iems pick EMI easily. 
A cheap DAP like, Fiio X3/DX 50 are much much better than phones for a portable source.

I did try disabling those, and it didn't fix the issue. Maybe there is some other feature that could be causing it, like NFC?

I had issues with a specific flat album but they are fine with other sources. Is it specific to mp3s or streaming?

This was with MP3 (220-320kbps).

Yes, Dont use a phone if you want great audio.

I don't expect top notch audio. I'm just trying to get these to work as well as my SE535s do with the same source. Is that unreasonable?

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #4,529 of 22,960

I did try disabling those, and it didn't fix the issue. Maybe there is some other feature that could be causing it, like NFC?

This was with MP3 (220-320kbps).

I don't expect top notch audio. I'm just trying to get these to work as well as my SE535s do with the same source. Is that unreasonable?

I didnt say top but better.

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #4,530 of 22,960

Ignore the people whose answer is "replace everything". Some people have yet to wrap their heads around the idea that we like our headphones to be conveniently mobile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back