Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 25, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #20,162 of 22,945
Hi all

First off, I love my shure 846. Most fun iems I've ever had. I pair these with moon audio silver dragon cables to a pioneer xdp-300r and occasionally a chord mojo.

I recently had the chance to audition the hidition nt6 and nt6pro iems. I felt the nt6pro were a bit bloated, but really enjoyed the nt6.

Does anyone here have experience with both of these iems (846 and hidition)? Any comments? I only had a brief time with the hiditions but they impressed me enough to want to ask more about them.

Jun 26, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #20,163 of 22,945
Yes. I got the DX220 only two days ago and its a bit too early to give a final statement about it.
But i can say that it was the right decision for me and my expectations are all fulfilled and it seems to match very well to my equipment.

Initially the DX200 took my attention, because of the good tech specs that looks promising and that with some technical skills its possible to replace the battery on your own.

After i found out that the DX200 has this sub-bass weakness and @csglinux showed me the measurements that documents the experience of different users, the DX200 was out of scope for me.
A precise and present bass is essential for me and that is also one major key feature of the SE846.

Now i'm glad that i have chosen the DX220 which i really like from the sound and the features.
As nothing is perfect, it has some minor flaws, e.g. the leather case is too soft and the curry yellow colour is awful in my opinion, so i have to buy a 3rd party cover for it.
The volume knob of the DX200 already got critics, the DX220 knob personally i would design more tightly, however it has a tactile feedback when turning it.

But i can live with this minor issues as they are not essential for me and they don't affect the sound quality.
And the overall build quality is pretty good.
I wanted to test DX220 but it wasn’t yet available so I picked Hiby R6 Pro and wanted to share my impressions with 846. The most revealing for me was that SE846 bass never sounded so good on any source I had. G7, Mojo and some other DACs went for sale, I only kept ES100 for times when I miss its forward mids with some female vocals. R6Pro tonality is very similar to LG Quad DAC but resolution, channel separation and bass extension and are on another level. I finally understood what they meant by calling it “subwoofer” bass... 30Hz right in your face when it present in the track, no source I tried could reproduce it with SE846. R6 PRO brings tons of macro details which brings an additional emotion to tracks. I noticed that tracks which sounded lifeless to me on other sources are back to life. Sleepless nights :)

Jun 27, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #20,165 of 22,945
I wanted to test DX220 but it wasn’t yet available so I picked Hiby R6 Pro and wanted to share my impressions with 846. The most revealing for me was that SE846 bass never sounded so good on any source I had. G7, Mojo and some other DACs went for sale, I only kept ES100 for times when I miss its forward mids with some female vocals. R6Pro tonality is very similar to LG Quad DAC but resolution, channel separation and bass extension and are on another level. I finally understood what they meant by calling it “subwoofer” bass... 30Hz right in your face when it present in the track, no source I tried could reproduce it with SE846. R6 PRO brings tons of macro details which brings an additional emotion to tracks. I noticed that tracks which sounded lifeless to me on other sources are back to life. Sleepless nights :)

Cayin N6ii is like this too, I've never heard the SE846 sound so good, something to do with the tuning of these two DAP's I suppose. This is odd as the frequency response is basically flat from 20Hz to 20Khz for all HiRes DAP's, so its got to be impedance matching producing the great pairing.

Jun 27, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #20,166 of 22,945
check out the new Astell&Kern DAP KANN CUBE with your SE846 and tell me what you think after ???

Jul 3, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #20,167 of 22,945
New member here so forgive me if I say anything silly or that’s been covered before. The 846s are my first pair of totl equipment and I am running them from my phone (tidal) and a FiiO q1 mkii. I’ve been blown away by the sound but the rolled off treble was not satisfying to me so I did the trishd mod and there’s a noticeable difference in sq. That being said, I’ve noticed that the highs are relatively harsh now (to my ear) and I get some added sibilance with the mod. If I were to adjust the position of the foams back up the nozzle on the plastic filter, but not high enough to reach where it was before, would I be able to scale the treble boost in any way? Thanks!

Jul 3, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #20,168 of 22,945
New member here so forgive me if I say anything silly or that’s been covered before. The 846s are my first pair of totl equipment and I am running them from my phone (tidal) and a FiiO q1 mkii. I’ve been blown away by the sound but the rolled off treble was not satisfying to me so I did the trishd mod and there’s a noticeable difference in sq. That being said, I’ve noticed that the highs are relatively harsh now (to my ear) and I get some added sibilance with the mod. If I were to adjust the position of the foams back up the nozzle on the plastic filter, but not high enough to reach where it was before, would I be able to scale the treble boost in any way? Thanks!
Welcome, new member :) Yup, you can make subtle adjustments by putting some of the foam part way down the filter tube. Check out @unispeed's posts a page or two back, and also on this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se846-filter-mod.802350/

Jul 3, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #20,169 of 22,945
Thanks so much! I’m definitely looking to do the knowles damper mod. I’ve found some wire insulation that fits the metal nozzle nicely but I’ll have to see if it fits the diameter of the dampers when I get them (probably this week if I’m being honest.) I have the combination pack of Westone star and foam tips in the post to me now as well. I’m excited to have found this community and hobby... my wallet may disagree however.

Jul 3, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #20,171 of 22,945
I think I read somewhere that the trishd mod doesn’t shift the 8k resonance peak left and the drop off isn’t as steep after that (which would probably cause more sibilance which I seem to be especially sensitive to.) It could just be that I’m not used to much high end and mid treble around the 6k and up mark just because I’ve always been using the bloated and honky earbuds that come with apple products and the like. Anyways, I’ve moved one piece of the foam in the blues closer to the middle of the filter and it seems to have done the trick pretty well. I’ll still end up with the knowles though just because I’m curious at this point. I love how flexible these things are.

Jul 4, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #20,172 of 22,945
I think I read somewhere that the trishd mod doesn’t shift the 8k resonance peak left and the drop off isn’t as steep after that (which would probably cause more sibilance which I seem to be especially sensitive to.) It could just be that I’m not used to much high end and mid treble around the 6k and up mark just because I’ve always been using the bloated and honky earbuds that come with apple products and the like. Anyways, I’ve moved one piece of the foam in the blues closer to the middle of the filter and it seems to have done the trick pretty well. I’ll still end up with the knowles though just because I’m curious at this point. I love how flexible these things are.

The Trishd mod on the blue filter creates a slight V shaped EQ curve. You're trading midrange for treble. The deeper the foam, the more the treble. I've explored some of these same occurrences in my mod which you can find a few pages back on this thread. Whatever filter you choose, foam placement within the filter is critical and should be done precisely. The Trishd is precise because all foam is pushed in against the attenuator. However, if you start setting the foam at any depth besides all-in and there is a difference of even a millimiter between the right and left , you will hear it. One earbud will sound more scooped than the other. A good way to avoid this is to use a bolt and 2 nuts locked onto each other to set the depth and then simply push the foam in with it. Treble can then be added or subtracted precisely and symmetrically by small adjustments of the nuts. (for more details see post 20148 https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1344#post-15008514 on this thread)

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #20,173 of 22,945
I thought that might be an issue so I just took a piece of steel wiring and bent it using pliers to a specific distance (the distance from the tip of the metal nozzle and the lip halfway down that secured the eartips) and it worked to set them accurately for now. I’ve seen your mods back in the thread involving switching foams which I’m interested in. I bought my 846s second hand and I only have the blues so I’ll have to order the other filters in the future, do shure sell the filters separately? Additionally, is there any info on how it affects sound to have both foams set to distance in the filter nozzle rather that one at the attenuator and one further up? It seems to me like it would further reduce treble frequencies. Thanks!

Jul 4, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #20,174 of 22,945
Since today suddenly my left earphone is completely dead when using it with a balanced cable. It works perfectly with an unbalanced cable. I checked the balanced cable, it works perfectly with other earphones.
Does anybody have any suggestion how to fix?

Jul 4, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #20,175 of 22,945
Since today suddenly my left earphone is completely dead when using it with a balanced cable. It works perfectly with an unbalanced cable. I checked the balanced cable, it works perfectly with other earphones.
Does anybody have any suggestion how to fix?

Clean the contacts on the cable and check there is nothing in the socket on the iem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back