Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 4, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #15,196 of 22,960

No the white filters have no foam. Give them time to see if you continue to feel same.

Your post motivated me to try out the white filter. God. Such an improvement. Thank you. I updated my review above.

Maybe you'd be better off going back to white filters and eq-ing from your phone/whatever instead. It seems to me that the foam in the blue and black filters distorts the high end as it eq's it down. Cymbals seem a lot cleaner with the white (empty) filters. To get your black bass, you could try the eq on your phone/source. It might introduce less distortion than foam does, get you the exact levels you want in each band.

While we're on the topic, why do people mod the blue filter by pulling the filters out? My white filter is already empty of foam. Am I missing something?

I too the same query, why would people mod the blue filter by pulling the filters out? if the white ones are already empty !!

its the supposition that the white and blue filters are not the same, foams aside. I personally didn't stick with the blue mod myself, given my chain. I found the bass a little reverby (sic) Im blue. The whites were a little thin given that my dac amp is hugo, and my ears.

May 4, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #15,197 of 22,960
  Your post motivated me to try out the white filter. God. Such an improvement. Thank you. I updated my review above.

Maybe you'd be better off going back to white filters and eq-ing from your phone/whatever instead. It seems to me that the foam in the blue and black filters distorts the high end as it eq's it down. Cymbals seem a lot cleaner with the white (empty) filters. To get your black bass, you could try the eq on your phone/source. It might introduce less distortion than foam does, get you the exact levels you want in each band.

While we're on the topic, why do people mod the blue filter by pulling the filters out? My white filter is already empty of foam. Am I missing something?

Yeah, I'm definitely going back to white. I just want to give black a chance, I really don't like it that much. I'll try blue for a week then back to white. I'll try eq-ing

As far as modding blue I think that taking foam out of blue would get you white. 

May 4, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #15,198 of 22,960

Got the se 846 yesterday, must say this is a big stepup from my ie80s, sound is very much detailed and vocals are amazing and instruments have great separation, my senns never sounded good right away from unboxing, but these are spot on, still on the stock blue filters, and using only my iPhone, also the bass is so soothing rather than my senns, build quality is awesome tremendous ahead of ie800 as well.

Have you had a chance to compare sonically wise side by side both SE846 and IE800? Actually drivers wise IE800 made of ceramics is more durable. Cable wise goes to SE846..

May 4, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #15,199 of 22,960

Yeah, I'm definitely going back to white. I just want to give black a chance, I really don't like it that much. I'll try blue for a week then back to white. I'll try eq-ing

As far as modding blue I think that taking foam out of blue would get you white. 

Not quite, because I've found that the modded Blue maintains a little more bass than the white. The analogy that I think of is home systems and room characteristics. Floor speaker placed on thick carpeting, floor speaker placed on indoor/outdoor carpeting, floor speaker placed on hardwood or tile. Flip that concept to the material used in each insert, and then the different foam(s) act as placing furniture in the room.

May 4, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #15,201 of 22,960
Not quite, because I've found that the modded Blue maintains a little more bass than the white. The analogy that I think of is home systems and room characteristics. Floor speaker placed on thick carpeting, floor speaker placed on indoor/outdoor carpeting, floor speaker placed on hardwood or tile. Flip that concept to the material used in each insert, and then the different foam(s) act as placing furniture in the room.

Does modded blue have the same or close to the same treble as white? You say modded blue has more bass than white? Is it about equal to black or close?

May 4, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #15,206 of 22,960
Does modded blue have the same or close to the same treble as white? You say modded blue has more bass than white? Is it about equal to black or close?

Modded blue has two thirds of white enhanced treble lift but stronger bass than white. Think of it as a half way measure when you cant decide between blue and white filters. To me, best of both worlds and ideal balance.

May 4, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #15,207 of 22,960
My experience with the tips is as follows.

Started with the blue un-modded.  For some reason, thought they sounded bright.  This was soon after going to my new rig - the AK120ii / Oppo HA-2.
Changed to the black.  Wow - totally killed the treble.  So, went too far.  
Put the blue back on.  For some reason, decided to mod the blue by removing one piece of felt per side.
Sounded totally un-natural.  Big mistake.  Put the foam back in and left them alone after that.  
I've not tried the white tips - assume they are brighter.

Great how easy it is to try these changes.  I think it all comes down to: 1) your upstream source / rig, 2) the type of music you listen to, 3) the ear buds you use, and 4) the volume at which you listen. Just like any other HP system.

FWIW,
RCB

May 4, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #15,208 of 22,960
I have been thinking about getting this SE846 while I can get some discount. I am coming from Senn 600, Denon 7000 and the LCD-2 that I really like. I have TripleFi 10 which is my go to IEM. I also picked up Weston 4R a while back which is nice. My first IEM was Shure SE530 years ago and I did not like as much I ended up giving that to my daughter. I have heard some mentioned here that SE846 is very close to LCD2 sounding which what I really like. Is that a case? I am afraid the SE846 will be more like the SE530 that I don't like. At this point, my goto IEM is still UE Triplefi 10. Please advice for those SE846 with similar headphone line up. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

May 4, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #15,209 of 22,960
I have been thinking about getting this SE846 while I can get some discount. I am coming from Senn 600, Denon 7000 and the LCD-2 that I really like. I have TripleFi 10 which is my go to IEM. I also picked up Weston 4R a while back which is nice. My first IEM was Shure SE530 years ago and I did not like as much I ended up giving that to my daughter. I have heard some mentioned here that SE846 is very close to LCD2 sounding which what I really like. Is that a case? I am afraid the SE846 will be more like the SE530 that I don't like. At this point, my goto IEM is still UE Triplefi 10. Please advice for those SE846 with similar headphone line up. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It has the stock shure sound but it is technically superior,fuller and more open sounding,better instrument separation especially in fast songs with a lot of organs,more extended lows with bigger impact,better treble detail and extension.But it is definitely not as forward sounding in the mids,everything is in the right place especially vocals which were too forward with 535/530  but it is also more neutral,less coloured and euphoric than se535 and has a monitor like character despite the deep bass,every detail is heard.

May 4, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #15,210 of 22,960
It has the stock shure sound but it is technically superior,fuller and more open sounding,better instrument separation especially in fast songs with a lot of organs,more extended lows with bigger impact,better treble detail and extension.But it is definitely not as forward sounding in the mids,everything is in the right place especially vocals which were too forward with 535/530  but it is also more neutral,less coloured and euphoric than se535 and has a monitor like character despite the deep bass,every detail is heard.

Very well put.

For someone used to Audeze bass, you'll appreciate what the SE846 can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back