Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 26, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #15,061 of 22,945
The soundstage is as wide as the Sennheiser HD 650 if that helps.

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #15,063 of 22,945
I use iPhone 6s Plus with se 846 and kaisertone audio player. May I ask everyone, What is audio player app on iPhone, that you use with se846?

Thank you so much.

Neutron music player is really good and nice. try it please.

Neutron is not an expensive player but it has compatibility issues with various iPhones. It does not work on my iPhone six plus but does work on my two year old iPad as an example. Reviews state many iPhone users same issues.
I find the iPhone player is very good itself. I have not gone into audio nirvana, amara, or channel d on my i Mac yet either. Bit skepticle of performance from a technicle standpoint and waiting for further upgrades and enhancements from these vendors.

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #15,064 of 22,945
I use iPhone 6s Plus with se 846 and kaisertone audio player. May I ask everyone, What is audio player app on iPhone, that you use with se846?

Thank you so much.

A lot of my music is 16/44 FLAC ripped from CDs and a few 24/96 FLAC. Using the iPhone's native player meant having to convert everything to ALAC which is a pain because of double storage and anything higher than 16/48 gets down converted, which is not ideal.

For these reasons, I wanted a high resolution player that can stream my 24/96 and even higher quality audio (such as DSD when it becomes more available) out to external DACs.

I started out with Onkyo HF Player, but while it works reasonably well, I didn't like the layout and the graphics still have not been updated for the iPhone 6s Plus.

Now I'm using Korg's iAudioGate which does everything the HF Player can and it gets regular updates so it's compatible with every phone I have (5S, 6, 6s). It's not designed for the iPad, but you can install and use it as an iPhone app on the iPad.
And if anyone's wondering, I'm using Foobar2000 on Windows and I still haven't found something I'm happy with on Macs.

Apr 26, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #15,066 of 22,945
Guys I am stuck in darkness plz help me out, thing is it's been 2 years since I got senn ie80 and use it on daily basis for commuting, from the very first since a purchased this I felt it's a little bass heavy especially in the mid range which is sometimes fatiguing for long music listening since I mostly listen to EDM, now since I have the money I am thinking of buying the se 846 or 535 Ltd edition but I am haunted by the fact that subwoofer present in 846 will interfere with the mids, so I am also thinking about less bassy 535 ltds, plz help me out on which should I buy, Also ie80 sound signature is fun and I haven't heard any Shure iem's till date, so plz help me out, I have ruled out the ie800 because of undetachable cables and microphonics.

I own both ie 80 and se 846 and i think its not worth the upgrade mby you can try 535 but 846 gives me headache, the bass is very deep and clear, but its somehow tiresome, mids on the other hand is amazing compared to ie 80 actually mids is most enjoyable part of the 846 for me, but people say its similar to 535. After ill try star tips which i ordered few days ago i am planning to return my 846 if it does not help to get rid of headaches. P.S One genre where se 846 truly shines is EDM thanks to the subwoofer effect :) if i could get rid of headache i would keep them.
P.s.s sorry for my english.

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #15,067 of 22,945
Neutron is not an expensive player but it has compatibility issues with various iPhones. It does not work on my iPhone six plus but does work on my two year old iPad as an example. Reviews state many iPhone users same issues.
I find the iPhone player is very good itself. I have not gone into audio nirvana, amara, or channel d on my i Mac yet either. Bit skepticle of performance from a technicle standpoint and waiting for further upgrades and enhancements from these vendors.

A lot of my music is 16/44 FLAC ripped from CDs and a few 24/96 FLAC. Using the iPhone's native player meant having to convert everything to ALAC which is a pain because of double storage and anything higher than 16/48 gets down converted, which is not ideal.

For these reasons, I wanted a high resolution player that can stream my 24/96 and even higher quality audio (such as DSD when it becomes more available) out to external DACs.

I started out with Onkyo HF Player, but while it works reasonably well, I didn't like the layout and the graphics still have not been updated for the iPhone 6s Plus.

Now I'm using Korg's iAudioGate which does everything the HF Player can and it gets regular updates so it's compatible with every phone I have (5S, 6, 6s). It's not designed for the iPad, but you can install and use it as an iPhone app on the iPad.
And if anyone's wondering, I'm using Foobar2000 on Windows and I still haven't found something I'm happy with on Macs.

Neutron music player is really good and nice. try it please.

Thank you so much everyone for the very good advices.

Apr 26, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #15,068 of 22,945

Where did you get the personalised ear tips from? How do  you like them? Do you mind sharing some more pics from different angles. Really interested in these

Mind if I ask where you got those tips from?

Sorry for a long response, I was out of the town for few days. In short words - these tips are made from Dreve's fluorescent silicone by our local master in Moscow. Yes they're made from molds of my own ears (and no, they don't shine as bright as on the second photo which had been made with big exposure but still glows a bit in the dark). Originally I ordered them for my SE535 but they're completely fit to 846 as well. It was quite strange to wear them for the first time since I need to insert them deeper into the ear but after some time I noticed that it's actually very comfortable - default tips didn't fit so well and I needed to correct their position in ear which is needed much less with these. In opposite - you can't open your mouth widely in them :) otherwise tips are getting out from the ear a bit. 
Not sure if you have same service in US but I think it should exist.

Apr 26, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #15,069 of 22,945
  Most of the time an amp/dac means better components and a better sound than whatever device you're plugging into. Most of the time I value convenience over quality like carrying a secondary device when portable on the go. 

I bought Mojo some time ago but I can't hear any big difference between x5+Mojo+SE846 and just x5+SE846 which made me think either I have bad audition skills or just x5 is not so good as a source of the music. 

Apr 26, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #15,070 of 22,945

Most of the time an amp/dac means better components and a better sound than whatever device you're plugging into. Most of the time I value convenience over quality like carrying a secondary device when portable on the go. 

I bought Mojo some time ago but I can't hear any big difference between x5+Mojo+SE846 and just x5+SE846 which made me think either I have bad audition skills or just x5 is not so good as a source of the music. 

you left out one other potential conclusion or causality, the question is are they confounding.

Apr 26, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #15,072 of 22,945

Thank you so much.

I think accudio player pro is the best iphone player out there strictly regarding sound quality. It has many customized settings for iems and hp's including the se846.

Many of the customized presets don't sound very good (w40, angie, etc), but I think that the se846 bright setting sounds great with my modded blue filters.

I generally use either the lcd-2 setting or westone es5 setting and eq to taste for all my other hp's and iems.

It provides nice clarity in comparison to the stock music player. it can be kind of buggy, and not the most user friendly but I think it wins hands down for sound quality.

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #15,073 of 22,945
Also guys how is the soundstage of the 846s since these are closed will they be achieving a wide soundstage like the ie80 or its big brother ie800.

I have it on highly respected Head-Fi authority that the SE846 beat the IE800 by a wide margin.  FWIW and YMMV of course my disclaimers.

Cheers -
RCBinTN

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #15,074 of 22,945
Apr 26, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #15,075 of 22,945

Sorry for a long response, I was out of the town for few days. In short words - these tips are made from Dreve's fluorescent silicone by our local master in Moscow. Yes they're made from molds of my own ears (and no, they don't shine as bright as on the second photo which had been made with big exposure but still glows a bit in the dark). Originally I ordered them for my SE535 but they're completely fit to 846 as well. It was quite strange to wear them for the first time since I need to insert them deeper into the ear but after some time I noticed that it's actually very comfortable - default tips didn't fit so well and I needed to correct their position in ear which is needed much less with these. In opposite - you can't open your mouth widely in them :) otherwise tips are getting out from the ear a bit. 
Not sure if you have same service in US but I think it should exist.

Thanks for the detailed response and the fine pics.  AFAIK there is no comparable product available in the U.S.  If someone knows otherwise please let us all know. Also, in this thread about 6 months ago someone has posted about a similar product used for the SE846. I inquired and was told the item was made in Hong Kong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back