Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 25, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #15,046 of 22,945
Wow. 

Is there anybody who is using 846 with the stock cable? :) 

Are differences only ergonomic or sq also? 
What king of source would one need for the cable to become weak link? 
If i am planing to buy fiio dac/amp for now, would i be able to hear difference? 

For sure quality cables provide ergonomic difference and some provide sq differences as well. This is not uniform in opinion and some stock cables perform well. In the 846 case the memory wire was a deal breaker for me and its quality is wanting some what.
However quality dac amps or daps are more important and cables represent the fondant of the cake as it were. The value proposition is difficult to justify as the expense to the sq return is hardly uniform. Good luck but cables are the last piece to consider and really some research is necessary to make a logical decision as to what you are trying to upgrade. ( my philosophy is when in doubt and wallet light stick with the stock) it's a go big or go home thing in my books. This is in contrast to the poster who requested a cheap cable and didn't consider any sq upgrade was necessary, so I hesitated in bringing forth my 846 cable upgrade, both of those premises are being ignored here.

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #15,047 of 22,945
I found the Shure cable to be too poor in quality of build and managed to break them too fast as I work in physical job. I took out my old Fiio cable which I had for 215 which was terrible. It was constant cutting in sounds, but surprisingly this Fiio cable works perfectly for 846 so I ordered second one. I also tried my luck with some alienexpress cable which had good reviews, so we will see if they are good enough for me.

I personally don't feel like I wanna spend crazy amounts of money on a cable. If these won't work for me I am gonna look into other options such as ordering custom cable. So far i did not have that many recommendations when I asked opinions about good affordable cable.

Anyways I am happy with my broken Fiio one and can't wait that I get new one in the mail.

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #15,048 of 22,945
I found the Shure cable to be too poor in quality of build and managed to break them too fast as I work in physical job. I took out my old Fiio cable which I had for 215 which was terrible. It was constant cutting in sounds, but surprisingly this Fiio cable works perfectly for 846 so I ordered second one. I also tried my luck with some alienexpress cable which had good reviews, so we will see if they are good enough for me.

I personally don't feel like I wanna spend crazy amounts of money on a cable. If these won't work for me I am gonna look into other options such as ordering custom cable. So far i did not have that many recommendations when I asked opinions about good affordable cable.

Anyways I am happy with my broken Fiio one and can't wait that I get new one in the mail.

Type iem cables in the search box, there are several forums with pictures.

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #15,049 of 22,945
Mine is Norne Audio's Therium 8 Wire. Below is Therium 8 Wire on left, HL Reference Silver Litz on the right. It's difficult to understand the major difference is cable quality without seeing one next to another. I'm copy pasting this next text that I posted in another thread...

"I'm withholding any comparrisons with the stock and my Ref Silver Litz until I've been able to log some additional hours on the Therium. My intent is to become absolutely accostomed to the SQ using the Therium, and then swap to the other cables to see if I notice any losses. It should be easier to pick out what I'm not hearing, than trying to explain differences in stepping up the ladder. So far I can't find a single thing about the Therium that I'm not absolutely in love with. Trevor does outstanding work!"

I appreciate your review! Have you tried silver poison before? How is it compare to norne therium?

Apr 25, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #15,050 of 22,945
I appreciate your review! Have you tried silver poison before? How is it compare to norne therium?

I'm not so much doing a review, so much as doing a simple characteristic comparison of the three cables that I own, at another members request. That will be a little bit while I'm wrapping up this semester at school. I will say this though about the stock Shure cable, that I was forced to use while having some work done on my litz. I thought that the stock cable sounded pretty damn good, considering that I had spent good money (< $200) for my first silver litz.

Apr 25, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #15,051 of 22,945
It's just the effect of the flash, it is the same copper hue.

Apr 26, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #15,054 of 22,945
Guys I am stuck in darkness plz help me out, thing is it's been 2 years since I got senn ie80 and use it on daily basis for commuting, from the very first since a purchased this I felt it's a little bass heavy especially in the mid range which is sometimes fatiguing for long music listening since I mostly listen to EDM, now since I have the money I am thinking of buying the se 846 or 535 Ltd edition but I am haunted by the fact that subwoofer present in 846 will interfere with the mids, so I am also thinking about less bassy 535 ltds, plz help me out on which should I buy, Also ie80 sound signature is fun and I haven't heard any Shure iem's till date, so plz help me out, I have ruled out the ie800 because of undetachable cables and microphonics.

Apr 26, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #15,055 of 22,945
Guys I am stuck in darkness plz help me out, thing is it's been 2 years since I got senn ie80 and use it on daily basis for commuting, from the very first since a purchased this I felt it's a little bass heavy especially in the mid range which is sometimes fatiguing for long music listening since I mostly listen to EDM, now since I have the money I am thinking of buying the se 846 or 535 Ltd edition but I am haunted by the fact that subwoofer present in 846 will interfere with the mids, so I am also thinking about less bassy 535 ltds, plz help me out on which should I buy, Also ie80 sound signature is fun and I haven't heard any Shure iem's till date, so plz help me out, I have ruled out the ie800 because of undetachable cables and microphonics.

The "subwoofer" experience in SE846 does not hinder the mids at all. In fact I find it clearer and with better clarity than both SE535 and SE535Ltd. To me the SE846 is quite an upgrade in almost all ways than SE535.

Apr 26, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #15,056 of 22,945
The "subwoofer" experience in SE846 does not hinder the mids at all. In fact I find it clearer and with better clarity than both SE535 and SE535Ltd. To me the SE846 is quite an upgrade in almost all ways than SE535.

Haven't seen you in a while!  Hope all is well. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 26, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #15,058 of 22,945
I'm a 4 years user of shure iem. 3 years with 535ltd and 1 year with the 846. Recently happened to audition the Oriolus V2. First impression was that the oriolus was very transparent and analytical. The 846 sounded veiled after i listened to the oriolus. However, overall i still feel that the 846 is still more musical and enjoyable. If there's any 846 users here have experience with the oriolus, could you please share your view. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back