Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Jul 25, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #1,606 of 3,218
Quote:
Those V6s are pretty amazing looking. So is it just a body, with a custom sleeve on it? 
The SE535 lacked clarity imo, and just wasn't really much better than the TDK BA200. The SE535s are expensive too, for the same amount of money you can buy 4 driver custom in ears...

For me the SE535 had one of the best clarity among all the other IEMs that i've tested around its price range though, unfortunately i haven't tried the BA200 and UE900 yet.
There ya go, it's the body crafted to look like a hybrid haha =)
If you're in US and not planning to customize, you can get the V6 universal for around the same price as SE535 Ltd / W4R which i think is a real steal.

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #1,608 of 3,218
Can you or anyone else explain to me how a cable can improve driver speed?

I was surprised by that. Either it controlled the amount/decay of the bass and it linger less giving less of the dragging sensation I get with the initial listen with stock. Or there are some other things at play that I would need to spend more time with them to figure them out.

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #1,609 of 3,218
I have been in contact with Shure and unless the marketing is badly informed, the tube is nothing revolutionary at all. Most importantly, it is no technological improvement.
Actually many universal multi-BA designs use different tube lengths because they have no choice with the limited space in the housing. This is what causes phase-shifts in the first place. What Shure is doing now is to call it a feature and make the tube extra long. It's impossible this will yield in a linear bass response. It's a deliberate phase-shift that - as impressions try to explain - is being hid behind emphasis.

From the implementation and marketing, it is what Shure calls it: a subwoofer.
If you listen to your music in a surround sound system and enable the subwoofer, then you will probably enjoy the "revolution" inside the SE846. But if you are true to the term high fidelity, the whole design is a big flaw.

But then again, there's nothing wrong with fun from time to time. It doesn't always have to be "hifi". But thinking the SE846 is "better" than true CIEM monitors is probably a little too enthusiastic and I can already tell that this will cause quite some controversy in the community.

So to sum up, Shure's marketing has told you they are perpetrating a massive fraud on the listening public and that their new IEM is nothing but false surround sound pretending to be a ground breaking new low pass filter. Wow, as an attorney should I file the class action lawsuit today?

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #1,610 of 3,218
So to sum up, Shure's marketing has told you they are perpetrating a massive fraud on the listening public and that their new IEM is nothing but false surround sound pretending to be a ground breaking new low pass filter. Wow, as an attorney should I file the class action lawsuit today?

Lol, For the 5 or so people that supposedly bought and own it?

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #1,611 of 3,218
Quote:

I have been in contact with Shure and unless the marketing is badly informed, the tube is nothing revolutionary at all. Most importantly, it is no technological improvement.
Actually many universal multi-BA designs use different tube lengths because they have no choice with the limited space in the housing. This is what causes phase-shifts in the first place. What Shure is doing now is to call it a feature and make the tube extra long. It's impossible this will yield in a linear bass response. It's a deliberate phase-shift that - as impressions try to explain - is being hid behind emphasis.

If you listen to your music in a surround sound system and enable the subwoofer, then you will probably enjoy the "revolution" inside the SE846. But if you are true to the term high fidelity, the whole design is a big flaw.

But then again, there's nothing wrong with fun from time to time. It doesn't always have to be "hifi". But thinking the SE846 is "better" than true CIEM monitors is probably a little too enthusiastic and I can already tell that this will cause quite some controversy in the community.

That's all I needed to hear (bolded text) to cancel my SE846 order — thanks Ultrazino, you've saved me a lot of money!

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #1,612 of 3,218
Looks like we can lock this thread. No impressions or measurements needed; just a few weeks of armchair quarterbacking. Too bad Shure didn't just come here and have us do the research for them. It would have saved great embarrassment and loss of revenue if they had.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #1,614 of 3,218
Quote:

So if shure calls it a subwoofer is there going to be a low mid/ high bass gap? I understand that what they've done is pretty innovative and I can see the low pass filter system having more applications, but I wouldn't buy this UIEM. I think it would be prudent to wait a year or two when they really perfect the technology and buy thier next flag ship.

If I do get a demo of these and they sound better than my JH16's I'll honestly be a little upset, but I'm doubtful they will be better.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #1,615 of 3,218
"So if shure calls it a subwoofer is there going to be a low mid/ high bass gap?"

As confirmed to me, yes. Both in level and speed.
They said, however, that it is not audible.
I am looking forward to the impressions of trained ears (like mine :p) or measurements on M.R.O.

Anyway, as impressions imply, I expect the SE846 to be a really great sounding IEM, but in the fun kind of way (nothing wrong with that)! I just want to remind people to be careful when quoting "better than CIEM" which should be a completely different target.

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #1,617 of 3,218
I am interested in those, when it comes around I will demo it for sure and see by myself. I don't think I will be able to buy it due to money problems (I am about purchase a high end ciem) but I can say a word or two about it after demoing.

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #1,618 of 3,218
Can you or anyone else explain to me how a cable can improve driver speed?

Ha ha.

It doesn't, no cable has ever done that, ever.

Kkcc, it's great that you've shared your impressions of the e846, thanks. It's just human nature to imagine whatever we like must be intrinsically better than something we subjectively don't like as much. Thinking that a cable swap now makes an earphone equal in its technical capabilities to other ones you like is completely wrong, but it's a very human thing to do. Your impressions are still appreciated.

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #1,619 of 3,218
Quote:
Ha ha.

It doesn't, no cable has ever done that, ever.

Kkcc, it's great that you've shared your impressions of the e846, thanks. It's just human nature to imagine whatever we like must be intrinsically better than something we subjectively don't like as much. Thinking that a cable swap now makes an earphone equal in its technical capabilities to other ones you like is completely wrong, but it's a very human thing to do. Your impressions are still appreciated.

That's just a wee bit condescending, don't you think?

I've experienced more or less the same thing with my ASG-2 on the Tralucent 1P2 cable. I was quite surprised at the result.

You can't really shoot down someone's experience until you've repeated it with the same variables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back