Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Jul 16, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #1,532 of 3,218
Hmmmm?

Still not convinced the SE846 is better than SE535. Have read nothing to that effect particularly about treble and overall transparency. Also...the SE535 is in NO WAY bass shy. And to take the SE846 and add even more bass.....? Clarity must certainly suffer over over SE535. 103 pages and no one can talk about this? I will certainly stick with SE535 for now at 1/3 the price and a benchmark IEM

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #1,533 of 3,218
I usually advise against cable upgrades as I always believe the return on investment is lowest amongst all components in our systems. You would get much more improvement by spending $$$ on IEM/Headphone/DAP/DAC/AMP and most importantly good music files that are properly mastered and encoded. To me cables are really the last mile and suffer extreme diminishing returns.

But I am also not a cable detractor as while it is small, there is definite audible improvement with cables made of different materials. In the earlier impression I posted, stock tg334 is with 001 which is a copper cable. I believe stock for se846 is also copper based. The upgraded cable for tg334 is 8-conductor silver, vs 4-conductor silver+gold alloy for the Shure.

Didn't had a chance to try different filters and I actually would think the filter may have a bigger impact than cables. I assumed it was the reference filter but another guy demoing with me thinks it was the warm filter. Would share more if I get to play with it again soon.

Bottomline, unless you already own other top-end IEMs, se846 even on stock would be a big step up from most including se535 and IE800 imho.

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #1,534 of 3,218
Anyone seen any measurements of these, with the different filters, yet? I'm extremely curious...Shure doesn't seem to disappoint when it comes to IEMs. It'd be interesting to see a large company like Shure come out with a universal-fit IEM that competes with JH Audio's finest & the like. 

Jul 17, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #1,535 of 3,218
Quote:
Anyone seen any measurements of these, with the different filters, yet? I'm extremely curious...Shure doesn't seem to disappoint when it comes to IEMs. It'd be interesting to see a large company like Shure come out with a universal-fit IEM that competes with JH Audio's finest & the like. 

No one really has gotten their hands on it...  A few have, but no one has measured them. 

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #1,536 of 3,218
Quote:
Didn't had a chance to try different filters and I actually would think the filter may have a bigger impact than cables. I assumed it was the reference filter but another guy demoing with me thinks it was the warm filter. Would share more if I get to play with it again soon.

That's a pretty big thing to pass up. For those wondering, the AKG K3003 is, imho, the best universal iem (yes, I'm in the minority who ultimately sold off the TG334! in favor of the AKG). However, it is rubbish with the low boost filter.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 17, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #1,537 of 3,218
Quote:
Hmmmm?

Still not convinced the SE846 is better than SE535. Have read nothing to that effect particularly about treble and overall transparency. Also...the SE535 is in NO WAY bass shy. And to take the SE846 and add even more bass.....? Clarity must certainly suffer over over SE535. 103 pages and no one can talk about this? I will certainly stick with SE535 for now at 1/3 the price and a benchmark IEM

The 846 are a step up to the 535 in every way possible....................

I had a loaner for 5 days, although, I believed that I was using the warm filters, I did not have the time to swap and play about with the accompanying filters. However, even near the end of the 5 days period the 846 were opening up very nicely. I will be getting them back on the 26th this month before returning and buying my pair when they are launched in early August, and will experiment more with the filters.

Jul 17, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #1,538 of 3,218
Quote:

The 846 are a step up to the 535 in every way possible....................

I had a loaner for 5 days, although, I believed that I was using the warm filters, I did not have the time to swap and play about with the accompanying filters. However, even near the end of the 5 days period the 846 were opening up very nicely. I will be getting them back on the 26th this month before returning and buying my pair when they are launched in early August, and will experiment more with the filters.

the se535 is still a major contender in the universal arena. i found the se535-ltd-j to be rather phenomenal for a universal. the se535 sound can change with the use of different filters, pair the filters with the right cable and i believe its possible you could achieve a close sound to the 846 from what i read.

now obviously the 846 is new technology and as far as a technology based standpoint. no the se535 doesnt touch the 846 in that respect. however it doesnt mean the se535 cant come close in sound.

Jul 17, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #1,539 of 3,218
Quote:
the se535 is still a major contender in the universal arena. i found the se535-ltd-j to be rather phenomenal for a universal. the se535 sound can change with the use of different filters, pair the filters with the right cable and i believe its possible you could achieve a close sound to the 846 from what i read.

now obviously the 846 is new technology and as far as a technology based standpoint. no the se535 doesnt touch the 846 in that respect. however it doesnt mean the se535 cant come close in sound.

Am I reading this correctly? The limited edition had interchangeable filters?

Jul 17, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #1,540 of 3,218
Quote:

Am I reading this correctly? The limited edition had interchangeable filters?

No however there have been people who have damaged their acoustic filters by cleaning the 535 and shure doesnt offer a replacement, HOWEVER you can go with Knowles acoustic dampers. they make a range of acoustic dampers. and there are people who have heard the 535 and the 535 ltd J and then the 535 with the knowles acoustic dampers and said that they sound almost alike.....so if you were to buy the 535 you could achieve the 535ltd-j sound as it seems other than the colour of the earpieces shure only changed the acoustic filter to achieve the better treble extension. just food for thought

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #1,541 of 3,218

Em... based on what I heard first hand, no. You may notice I was far from gushing about the 846, but no, 535 (ltd or not) isn't even close. 530/535 were top of the game but that is long ago already. Even a w4r is already much better than 535ltd easily. Demo the 846 and other real totl universals and surprise yourself. :)

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #1,542 of 3,218
Quote:
Em... based on what I heard first hand, no. You may notice I was far from gushing about the 846, but no, 535 (ltd or not) isn't even close. 530/535 were top of the game but that is long ago already. Even a w4r is already much better than 535ltd easily. Demo the 846 and other real totl universals and surprise yourself.
smily_headphones1.gif

ive already owned the e500,se530,se535,se535-ltd-j, now the westone w4r. ive also owned every shure se line below the 535.

i agree. the w4r are hands down better than the 535J.

Maybe i should have said the se535 are a major contender in the universal arena in their price range. take into consideration the 535 can be had for 300.00 used where as the 846 cost 1,000.00.

just saying

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #1,543 of 3,218
ive already owned the e500,se530,se535,se535-ltd-j, now the westone w4r. ive also owned every shure se line below the 535.

i agree. the w4r are hands down better than the 535J.

Maybe i should have said the se535 are a major contender in the universal arena in their price range. take into consideration the 535 can be had for 300.00 used where as the 846 cost 1,000.00.

just saying

As someone who is awaiting my preorder of the SE846 but ownes the SE535J and has sold the Westone 4r I completely disagree that the W4r is better than the 535J. The 535 is far more musical than the reference sound of the W4r. I am someone who prefers the house sound of the Shure's with its lush midrange. To say one is better than another is purely a matter of personal taste.

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #1,544 of 3,218
Quote:
As someone who is awaiting my preorder of the SE846 but ownes the SE535J and has sold the Westone 4r I completely disagree that the W4r is better than the 535J. The 535 is far more musical than the reference sound of the W4r. I am someone who prefers the house sound of the Shure's with its lush midrange. To say one is better than another is purely a matter of personal taste.

true. maybe with me saying one is better than the other is a matter of my personal prefrence.

i personally believe that cables,interconnects,dacs and amps are going to make a difference in the sound reproduction. my w4r sound ALOT different NOW vs when i first had them, after a upgrade cable,interconnect upgrades,dac upgrades and amp upgrades the sound from a w4r with straight out of a ipod sound vs with all the upgrades. 100% improvement in all aspects of the w4r.

now take into consideration back when i had the 535J i only had a ipod/lod/ibasso p4/5n pure silver dream cable.

now my setup is the cypher labs algorhythm SOLO dac/ALO Audio RX MK2 amp/ALO SXC SOLO Cable combo/ Tralucent 6n Pure Silver Cable/ ipod touch 4g/ Westone 4R

So obviously now my setup is alot better then what i had for the 535J. 

So i agree and disagree. agree in the sense that the 535J arent bad but also disagree that the counter source equipment is going to make a difference in the perception of the sound signature of the iem's at hand.

Jul 17, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #1,545 of 3,218
The biggest, most dramatic SQ difference / improvement I've heard was when I went from 128kbps to 129kbps. And no, I'm not an audiophile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back