Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Jun 17, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #1,291 of 3,218
Quote:

I don't know. I read the review after your post. And I did read "my 16 year old ears" as his being 16, not as his having a 16-year-old son, though his status as a seller made the mistake obvious in context.

My sixteen-year-old ears. = My ears are sixteen years old. = I'm sixteen years old.
My sixteen-year-old's ears. = I have a child who is sixteen years old.

Exactly, a small syntax mistake, but it took a couple of seconds do deduce it properly so no biggie. Anyways, I don't like going off topic so I'm going to stop and wait for impressions.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 17, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #1,292 of 3,218
As a former prospective purchaser of the SE846 and now someone who has preordered it with Earphone Solutions I thought I would share a few observations.

I asked the folks at Earphone Solutions whether the SE846 have the same connectors and nozzle diameter of all other Shure IEMs and the answer is YES. For people like me who have custom cables and use the Westone Star Tips or other tips like Comply with the Shure IEMs that is certainly good news.

As for the question of the low input impedance of the SE846 (reported at 9), again Earphone Solutions have been auditioning the SE846 straight out of the iphone 5 with no problems. I also emailed Ray Samuels, as I have the RSA Protector balanced amp (with balanced cables), and explained that I was concerned with the low input impedance of the SE846 and he assured me that it will be no problem matching the Protector to the SE846.

Finally, as for those criticizing the review of Earphone Solutions with their possible but obvious conflict of interest, I will say their review was the tipping point for me to push the button and preorder the SE846. No review will replace my own ears and as I love the house sound of the Shure's I hope my journey to portable sonic heaven is or will soon be complete.

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #1,293 of 3,218
Thanks Lindrone - I now have an understanding of CIEM over IEM.......now I am left with the decision on putting my toe in the CIEM pond!!!!  Thanks.

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #1,294 of 3,218
Quote:

Would I be mistaken for thinking that the "custom" fit of the earphone into the ear is the only bit that makes it a CIEM over a Universal (that has to fit all ears).   So for the CIEM all the internals are the same as anyone else that owns that particular CIEM?

So, If I purchase the SE535 LTD or even the SE846 and take them to ACS to have a custom tip made they are effectively a hybrid IEM/CIEM?

Only the BA/drivers inside the CIEM are left to be the same, the rest are deviated from original.
Like the material use for the new shell, the new shell design, the internal cables, the BA/drivers position and alignments, the space around them and the sound tuning was no longer the same like what the original design intended to.

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #1,295 of 3,218
Quote:

Strong words from someone whose best headphone is a mid-tier sub-$200 phone.

Too bad your neighbors will "enjoy" your Beiber tracks along with you.

You know what? I have a sound-proof room in my bungalow, so some of my neighbours are actually complaining that I did not pump up the music loud enough
from my great set-up audiophile system and they cannot have the same joy for free.

My sound-proof room intention not to disturb them back then.
(or nothing for free, buy your own great audiophile system
size]
 ).

If Shure 846 price is at a rational price around $500,
I will buy 3 for my own family and a few more as a gift to my close relatives and good friends.

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #1,296 of 3,218
Quote:

You know what? I have a sound-proof room in my bungalow, so some of my neighbours are actually complaining that I did not pump up the music loud enough
from my great set-up audiophile system and they cannot have the same joy for free.

My sound-proof room intention not to disturb them back then.
(or nothing for free, buy your own great audiophile system
size]
 ).

If Shure 846 price is at a rational price around $500,
I will buy 3 for my own family and a few more as a gift to my close relatives and good friends.

images

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #1,298 of 3,218
Jun 24, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #1,304 of 3,218
Quote:
It is more expensive than a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts but less expensive than a nose job (unless it is a bad one, which would be ill advised)...so it is just a matter of priorities.

The SQ from a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts reveals their relative price.  For that matter, the nose job doesn't sound so hot either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back