Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Jun 15, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #1,218 of 3,218
Quote:
Well here comes the aggressive one. I am sorry you take it this way, but actually a couple of people have heard it. Besides, I do not think banter is an issue. But people who want to banter could read the thread first and see if it brings anything or if the same idiotic cost analysis has been repeated as nauseam. And please keep you advice about which thread I should be on.

Yes I'm totally agreed with you.
It's a shame that some Shure supporters does not able to take different or negative feedbacks.
It only showed how shallow they are. All they want just candy and more good candy, and nothing less.

To Shure,
It's a pity that your supporter was shallow minded. With them, I'm most certain that they do not contribute valuable feedbacks for Shure to advance to higher level, or for you to make more improvements on your IEM, or market Shure products to all different level than the rest.

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #1,220 of 3,218
Jun 15, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #1,221 of 3,218
Quote:
Has there ever been a negative review of a pre-order product on the very site taking pre-orders?

The 'review' was actually written by the owner of Earphone Solutions who obviously wants to sell as many pairs of SE846 as he can, and would, therefore, never say anything remotely negative about this (expensive) product.

The following comments are taken from the 'review':

"Far superior sound than the custom earphones I own that cost over $1,200. So yes, the argument about: "for that price I can get a custom" does not stick. Good luck getting the same experience and sound quality from a custom. It won't happen.

The SE846 and its low pass filter have nothing to do with a "custom" earphones where you are basically paying a premium because they were made after your ear canal mold but nothing really exciting going on inside that sanded vinyl piece. The SE846 is NOT about adding more drivers and putting a higher price tag on it. It's about delivering an experience and sound quality that you DO NOT have from anything else being manufactured out there. Include all the $1,000+ custom products.

Nothing comes close to the sound of the SE846. I'm very careful with what I write. I know thousands of our customers are hardcore audiophiles and I don't sign my name on something I don't honestly, fully believe in. I'm 100% convinced you have not listened to anything like the SE846, unless you have listened to one.
"

A couple of comments:

There are several multi-BA customs that cost less than $1,000, including the USA-made 1964 Ears V6 (with six drivers in each shell) that retails for ~$700 USD.

I very much doubt the reviewer has actually listened to "all the $1,000+ custom products".

If "nothing comes close to the sound of the SE846", I take it that apart from wiping the floor with all custom IEMs out there, the SE846 also wipes the floor with the TG334, K3003, 1p2 & IE800

Hmm... the only two things I personally got from the 'review' were:

a)  The 'reviewer' owns a pair of $1,200 customs
b)  The 'reviewer' seems to like Pink Floyd a lot.

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #1,222 of 3,218
It'd be interesting to compare all the $1k+ universals, but I suspect a lot of it will come down to taste, such as how much bass you like, though the ones I have tried have had more or less refinement in various areas, such as the treble. 

Jun 15, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #1,225 of 3,218
Jun 15, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #1,226 of 3,218
These earphones have a problem which is very similar to driving a super-car, enjoying fine food, a fine wine, flying first class, etc. When you experience it, it's very difficult to go back to your previous earphones. It's a game changer in every way

SOLD! I'll take five pairs!

/sarcasm

Jun 15, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #1,227 of 3,218
Quote:
First "review" is up

Thanks for the laugh! It reads exactly like when I would ask my father to write a review for one of my earphones although he knows nothing about this hobby.
I skipped the part where he talks about his family and his grand-father, but I picked up a few things.

Flo Rida's Low makes the torso vibrate as does Lil Jon & the Eastside Boyz Get Low.
I assume this means tons of bass! Probably very clean and detached. This is probably a good thing and might be a great live experience. I am looking forward to it.

Vocals like I NEVER experienced.
This is interesting because I have heard some really convincingly realistic voices. So this statement makes me assume the Shure is heavily colored.

... without fatiguing. This is a first. Extended trebles always fatigue me.
So same as SE535? Treble cuts off early?

Far superior sound than the custom earphones both my wife and I own that cost over $1,200. There's nothing really to comment on because he is not naming the product he is comparing to. I can mold some dog poo and stick it in my ear, attach a super platin cable and pay 1,200 $ for it. And how does he know what the customs of his wife sound like? Do they fit his ears too?
So yes, the argument about: "for that price I can get a custom" does not stick. Exactly! Finally somebody figured out that all customs sound - and actually are - exactly the same! How did we miss this? Flavio's CIEM is the same as any other CIEM.
A few lines later: Include all the $1,000+ custom products. Nothing comes close to the sound of the SE846.
Flavio knows best. If you've heard one, you've heard them all!

The SE846 and its low pass filter have nothing to do with a "custom" earphones where you are basically paying a premium because they were made after your ear canal mold but nothing really exciting going on inside that sanded vinyl piece.
This is funny because the whole price discussion debate we were having was about Shure being premium. Many of us are having a difficult time understanding how the implementation of a 4 inch tube can raise the price so much. With customs you pay for labor, which is expensive in most countries. But at least I know where my money went instead of holding a piece of plastic from a machine at the same price.
And the "nothing really exciting going on" is actually having the space to implement clean crossovers that are simply not possible in a small shell like that of the Shure. It even gets more difficult with raising the quantity of drivers. SE535, W4 and UE900 all have that limitation. SM64 and Heir 4.Ai are prime examples on how to mess up the crossover.

The SE846 is NOT about adding more drivers and putting a higher price tag on it. It's about... adding more drivers and adding a 4 inch tube and putting a higher price tag on it.

I don't sign my name on something I don't honestly, fully believe in.
Which would be his very own business and profit. Understandable.

However, I have to give Flavio credit for really raising my interest. The IE800 disappointed me heavily, so this might be the next universal I give a chance. But I will definitely not order from his site because I doubt his credibility.

Jun 15, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #1,229 of 3,218
OK, I've got it now!  The ideal $1000 plus iem should meet the following criteria PRIOR TO HEARING IT:

- be made in small shop (600 sq ft or less)
- company should have no more than 6 employees (all Tibetan monks would be a plus)
- have only 2 to 4 distributors worldwide
- continually be on back order (the wait is enticing), 
- be exclusive
- be exclusive
- be exclusive

Jun 15, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #1,230 of 3,218
Wow! Look guys, I'm a small business owner. I am not a professional reviewer. I cannot write about sound like most of you can. I have the SE846 here in Orlando. If anyone of you are in the central Florida area and would like to spend 2 hours with them to write an article for Earphone Solutions, I can arrange for you to come over and try the earphones and write something that would suck less than what I did (it shouldn't be hard, right? :wink:

The only experience I have is the fact that I listen to many different models, spend time with them and have been doing this since 1995.

What I wrote, aside from not meeting the expectation of many of you, is my honest opinion. They sound incredible. I never pretended to be able to write and compare like many of you can. I can't. And that's why I have many times reached out to some of you in the past.

When UE launched the Triple.fi many customers that called and asked for my opinion I would tell them I preferred the 5 Pros. "But they are $150 less!" But for me the treble on the triple.fis were too much. So I do give my personal opinion. And when I find my self in a position of not loving a new model, I simply don't say I love them. We try our best.

I apologize if my family's history is boring, off topic, or if it came out like "cheap marketing" and whatever else.

I apologize I can't translate into words the sound quality of the SE846. I was hoping I could do that later this weekend doing an A/B comparison with my other earphones. Our customers know what we are and what we are not. We strive to provide the best, honest, customer service we can.

This was not meant to be an in-depth review (certainly I can't write one that would satisfy some of our customers) but I felt anxious to publish some quick first impressions. My mistake in the title.

The criticism is noted. Thanks for the feedback. Brutal. Not something I'd like to start the weekend with but it is what it is.

IMHO the SE846 is the best earphones I've ever listened to. I know music from a listener perspective. That's my experience. And yes, I can't write very well like an audiophile / copywriter would and I'm sorry I disappointed some of you with my first impressions article.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back