Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Jun 11, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #1,186 of 3,218
I don't really keep any of my old IEMs :)

I take a deep breath, sell my IEM, and then buy a new one.  I don't A/B them against other headphones... I just get a sense of whether I've made a mistake or not.  For example, this is the second time in the past two months that I've owned the 334s.  I tried a few other high-end IEMs and then decided the 334s gave me the best sound with the least compromises.

The pricing issue always comes up with any high-end headphone.  We saw it 15 years ago when the HD600 ($300) was high end, we saw it when the UE10Pro ($1000) was high end, and we see it with the LCD3 ($2000) being the new high-end.  There is little room in this hobby for second place.  I look at the $1000 price tag and I know that Shure is releasing an IEM to compete with the best.  They put me on notice.  If they succeed, I'll watch the resale value of my 334s drop by hundreds of dollars.  We'll put Shure on a pedestal and thank them for raising the bar 1 millimeter higher.

The price vs. demand curve for the best headphone does not follow any rule of economics.  IEM audiophiles are a niche within a niche and they are very price indifferent.  This would happen in any hobby.

Jun 12, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #1,187 of 3,218
@Brooko If you take a look at amazon or ebay (UK or US), you'll notice that the price drop on the SE535 has already begun - the SE535 that I was considering to buy at £306 is now available at £256 by authorised UK retailers.

Regardless of whether Shure intended to continue selling numerous amounts of SE535 at £350-450 even after the launch of the SE846, it has backfired on them, as most people would rather purchase the next "best thing" in comparison to the second "best thing". Simply launching a new flagship means that the price of the previous flagship will automatically reduce, so in fact, releasing their SE846 at £600/$600 wouldn't significantly negatively affect the sales of their SE535.

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #1,188 of 3,218
Quote:
@Brooko If you take a look at amazon or ebay (UK or US), you'll notice that the price drop on the SE535 has already begun - the SE535 that I was considering to buy at £306 is now available at £256 by authorised UK retailers.

Regardless of whether Shure intended to continue selling numerous amounts of SE535 at £350-450 even after the launch of the SE846, it has backfired on them, as most people would rather purchase the next "best thing" in comparison to the second "best thing". Simply launching a new flagship means that the price of the previous flagship will automatically reduce, so in fact, releasing their SE846 at £600/$600 wouldn't significantly negatively affect the sales of their SE535.

For a start - checking today USD 600 = ~ 385 GBP.  If they retailed at USD 600 (as suggested by h1a8) then at ~ 380-400 GBP the 535s would now be sub 200 GBP (well under in fact).

Yes the 535s have fallen 'a little' - but again - economically - why would Shure drop the 846 to USD600.  They don't need to.  People WILL buy them at around USD 1000 - and they don't overly affect the rest of their range.  Why - because the people who can't afford them will now see the SE535 as a bargain.

As far as suggesting 600 GBP - well actually you're not far off (today's rate around USD 940).  By the time you take duty etc into account and maybe a street price around USD 1000 - I guess for UK customers it'll end up ~ 700-750 Stirling (street - not sure what your tax structure is on audio - could be more).

I'm not sure about your comment on things 'backfiring' on them.  Their Marketing people will have taken this into account already.  They are an international highly successful company.  Like I said earlier  - their strategy will be well thought out.  And suggesting that "most people" would rather buy the 846 at 2-3 times the price of the 535 is a little naive don't you think?  I'd love it - but it's currently out of my bracket.  If I wasn't an owner of the 535 already though - I'd be jumping on the 535 at a reduced price point.  It really is an excellent IEM IMO - and at around USD 350 - well worth it.

Come to think of it - their current strategy could be a master-stroke.  Introduce new flagship.  Accept discount (20-25%) on old range.  Increase sales on both.  Then start bringing in new tech across whole range in another 12 months or so.  Can't see too much wrong with that to be honest.  Better than bringing in new tech at discount that's not needed, crashing the price on the balance of your range, and overall lowering potential profits on both 
size]

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #1,191 of 3,218
Quote:
You are exagerrating. 600 is doable since these don't cost anywhere near that to make. When you hit $1000 then people mostly think about customs (not universals). 700 for universals is a lot better and will definitely net more profit (not as much as 600 will though). It's not about double and triple but significantly more.

Prime example: On black friday a few years back, the tf 10 went on sale for about 100. They sold out in seconds. The Sony walkman Z had a killer price and also sold out in seconds. 600 or less for these shure will sell out faster than you can bat an eye.

Loss leaders of old product with paid for tooling and paid stock of drivers is very different than new product introduction. If you think $99 covered their costs even under these conditions, you're delusional. As much as the TF10 is liked in headfi type circles, it's fit cost it huge market share elsewhere. There's also a reason there were limited quantities and it had to do with how much loss was acceptable as a marketing inspired loss leader.

Jun 12, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #1,192 of 3,218
h1a8 only think about profits. Profit profit profit.
does not consider brand promotion, consumer's reaction/thinking, etc. to the SE846
And this person think he knows it all. Maybe Shure should hire h1a8 and direct the company!
/s

Jun 12, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #1,193 of 3,218
@Brooko Very valid points and I assume you're right, I have no intentions of arguing further with you. Being a student - and victim of the recent university tuition triple fee in the UK - demanding a price of £949 for universal IEMs from one such as myself will merit you nothing but condescending laughter.

Admittedly, upon hearing of the pending release of the SE846, my initial thought was to work arduously over the summer break, sell my current SE535 ASAP, save up enough and be amongst the first to own it within the UK. Upon reading the £949 price tag attached, I immediately closed the browser tab and carried on with my daily activities. Even if I had the £1000 with me then, I still wouldn't have given the SE846 a second thought. Although, companies such as Sennheiser, AKG, FitEar e.t.c. all have their £1000/$1000 priced universals, there has been a (very good) reason as to why I haven't bothered with them.

Jun 12, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #1,194 of 3,218
so the initial $1000 price tag then $1250 is because if Shure lower the price of this new iem it will hurt the sale of the older models? so we have to pay the extra bucks because of that?, nothing agaisnt Shure since I owned the 535 and I know this new iem has be really good, thay have the right to put any price in their products and we  decide either to buy it or not.

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #1,195 of 3,218
Oh gosh, this thread has become so boring, why am I checking, why?!

Jun 12, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #1,196 of 3,218
Has anyone heard of or used accessoryjack in Hong Kong??

They are listing the 846s as $7800. Which puts them about £640. I was expecting HK price to be about triple the 535s rather than double!!

http://www.accessoryjack.com/hk/headphones/in-ear-monitor/shure-se846-quad-high-definition-microdrivers-with-true-subwoofer-in-ear-monitor-headphones-crystal-clear.html

(Is this a clever ploy to get people interested/pre ordering from their website before getting stock!)

Jun 12, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #1,197 of 3,218
I've used accessory jack and they are very good. You can email them to ask questions and they reply quickly. I purchased the red 535s from them and had it shipped to Canada within 1.5 weeks

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #1,200 of 3,218
Quote:
Fact 1: Very few people spend 1000 or more on UNIVERSALS.
Fact 2: Many times the people who purchase UNIVERSALS for 1000 or more purchase universals around 600 and less

Conclusion: Selling these universals for 600 or less will net a much larger profit.

You not knowing the truth doesn't mean I'm wrong.

I'm quite impressed with your logic here. You just got a secret admirer, never thought business was that easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back