Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Jun 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #1,201 of 3,218
Geez! At this point, I feel like we need two separate threads... 1) Sound/tech/impressions and 2) "complain/debate about the price" thread. 

Unfortunately, this thread is about 90% the latter, I hope someone starts a new impressions-only thread soon as I'm curious to hear even more about the sound and how they compared to IE800's and customs. 

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #1,203 of 3,218
Quote:
Fact 1: Very few people spend 1000 or more on UNIVERSALS.
Fact 2: Many times the people who purchase UNIVERSALS for 1000 or more purchase universals around 600 and less

Conclusion: Selling these universals for 600 or less will net a much larger profit.
You not knowing the truth doesn't mean I'm wrong.

You are exagerrating. 600 is doable since these don't cost anywhere near that to make. When you hit $1000 then people mostly think about customs (not universals). 700 for universals is a lot better and will definitely net more profit (not as much as 600 will though). It's not about double and triple but significantly more.

Prime example: On black friday a few years back, the tf 10 went on sale for about 100. They sold out in seconds. The Sony walkman Z had a killer price and also sold out in seconds. 600 or less for these shure will sell out faster than you can bat an eye.

h1a8, I'm with you on the marketing strategy/philosophy for those overly priced IEM.
No matter what the tiny IEM has very tiny of electronics and material used, so their actual cost could be just little to something only.

If we took Apple or Samsung for example, they sell phones in 10 millions qty on each top models. Ultimately the mega volume, they will bring down the shipment cost, transportation cost, labour cost and every costs in the chain. It's like travel in a cab from point A to B you alone cost $30. Travel the same distance in the same cab with 3 others and you, cost you only $7.50.

Quote:

For a start - checking today USD 600 = ~ 385 GBP.  If they retailed at USD 600 (as suggested by h1a8) then at ~ 380-400 GBP the 535s would now be sub 200 GBP (well under in fact).

Yes the 535s have fallen 'a little' - but again - economically - why would Shure drop the 846 to USD600.  They don't need to.  People WILL buy them at around USD 1000 - and they don't overly affect the rest of their range.  Why - because the people who can't afford them will now see the SE535 as a bargain.

As far as suggesting 600 GBP - well actually you're not far off (today's rate around USD 940).  By the time you take duty etc into account and maybe a street price around USD 1000 - I guess for UK customers it'll end up ~ 700-750 Stirling (street - not sure what your tax structure is on audio - could be more).

I'm not sure about your comment on things 'backfiring' on them.  Their Marketing people will have taken this into account already.  They are an international highly successful company.  Like I said earlier  - their strategy will be well thought out.  And suggesting that "most people" would rather buy the 846 at 2-3 times the price of the 535 is a little naive don't you think?  I'd love it - but it's currently out of my bracket.  If I wasn't an owner of the 535 already though - I'd be jumping on the 535 at a reduced price point.  It really is an excellent IEM IMO - and at around USD 350 - well worth it.

Come to think of it - their current strategy could be a master-stroke.  Introduce new flagship.  Accept discount (20-25%) on old range.  Increase sales on both.  Then start bringing in new tech across whole range in another 12 months or so.  Can't see too much wrong with that to be honest.  Better than bringing in new tech at discount that's not needed, crashing the price on the balance of your range, and overall lowering potential profits on both 
size]

Shure can pretty much selling the 846 at US$550, SE535 Ltd at 380, SE535 at 300.

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #1,204 of 3,218
I am sooooo happy this thread revealed so many new talents ! We have cost control experts, marketing experts, pricing experts, etc. Who knew headfi hid such untapped potential. I hope the Shure HR department is perusing this thread to find their future high potential employees.

Jun 14, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #1,205 of 3,218
I am sooooo happy this thread revealed so many new talents ! We have cost control experts, marketing experts, pricing experts, etc. Who knew headfi hid such untapped potential. I hope the Shure HR department is perusing this thread to find their future high potential employees.

Too bad they left the sinking ship after the first 10 pages.

Jun 14, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #1,206 of 3,218
I wanted to pair them with the AK120......going on the specs and Imedence.....negatives pointed out by other headfiers I think I will just look else where.......just not sure what to consider.......(please feel free to throw in some good suggestions what will pair well.....dont really want to add an AMP to setup!)

......maybe the shure se535 special edition with Baldur MK2 cable???

Jun 14, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #1,207 of 3,218
Quote:
Shure can pretty much selling the 846 at US$550, SE535 Ltd at 380, SE535 at 300.

Knowing at what price Shure should sell its IEMS to maximise its profit is only interesting for one: Shure.
I am sure they thought about it. So accept the price as it is and vote with your wallet.

Jun 14, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #1,209 of 3,218
Quote:

It's okay if you leave this thread, skip over it or don't contribute at all.  We won't miss you.  Kind of hard to talk about the sound when the IEM
won"t be released for a few more months.  The rest of this is just banter.  No big deal.  I'm shure after release date a new thread will start dedicated to SQ impressions.

Jun 14, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #1,210 of 3,218
It's okay if you leave this thread, skip over it or don't contribute at all.  We won't miss you.  Kind of hard to talk about the sound when the IEM
won"t be released for a few more months.  The rest of this is just banter.  No big deal.  I'm shure after release date a new thread will start dedicated to SQ impressions.
Well here comes the aggressive one. I am sorry you take it this way, but actually a couple of people have heard it. Besides, I do not think banter is an issue. But people who want to banter could read the thread first and see if it brings anything or if the same idiotic cost analysis has been repeated as nauseam. And please keep you advice about which thread I should be on.

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #1,211 of 3,218
Doesn't bother me one bit. Just saying....only the moderators can control what is posted. Surely the banter is being allowed because the IEM is not released yet and there's nothing else to talk about except cost and speculation of cost for performance.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #1,212 of 3,218
Quote:
Doesn't bother me one bit. Just saying....only the moderators can control what is posted. Surely the banter is being allowed because the IEM is not released yet and there's nothing else to talk about except cost and speculation of cost for performance.

I really do not want to start an argument...all I am saying is two things:
  1. If an argument has already been made (for instance that it is significantly more expensive than the 535), let it go
  2. When people give their opinion, they should put humility into it and not think they are marketing / pricing experts

That is all :) Otherwise we may all banter away

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #1,213 of 3,218
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back