Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Jun 10, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #1,156 of 3,218
It seem to me Shure was just trying to catch to extreme high price game war with those from other well-known premium brands like AKG K3003, Sennheiser IE800.

Until today, I am still simply could not accept the tiny tiny IEM with extreme prices. It will be a more wise move to spend the money on a great sound Hi-Fi system than a tiny IEM. I can afford to buy a few extreme prices IEM every month if I wanted, but I just couldn't accept how they sounded between my 2 ears.

Jun 10, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #1,157 of 3,218
Quote:
It seem to me Shure was just trying to catch to extreme high price game war with those from other well-known premium brands like AKG K3003, Sennheiser IE800.

Until today, I am still simply could not accept the tiny tiny IEM with extreme prices. It will be a more wise move to spend the money on a great sound Hi-Fi system than a tiny IEMI can afford to buy a few extreme prices IEM every month if I wanted, but I just couldn't accept how they sounded between my 2 ears.

Can you carry a "great sound Hi-Fi system" in your pocket everywhere you go? Can you listen to a "great sound Hi-Fi system" without disturbing those (sitting) very near / next to you? Would you take a "great sound Hi-Fi system" on a trip / plane with you and leave it in a hotel room? Do you actually know how some of these "tiny IEMs" sound? Do you know the research that went into developing some of these very expensive products?

Am I saying the price of these products is justified? Not necessarily, though certainly more justified—or less unjustified, if you will—depending on the product you look at.

Still so many misconceptions regarding audio, the real SQ of many (new) products, people's real needs & preferences, custom & universal IEMs, IEMs vs full-sized phones, isolating vs poor/non-isolating IEMs, portable & home systems, audio file formats, etc....

Yes, there is hype, marketing, BS, exaggeration, stupidity, people often rationalising an (unnecessary) expensive purchase, and so on... but there's more to it than that.

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #1,158 of 3,218
Quote:

Until today, I am still simply could not accept the tiny tiny IEM with extreme prices. It will be a more wise move to spend the money on a great sound Hi-Fi system than a tiny IEM. I can afford to buy a few extreme prices IEM every month if I wanted, but I just couldn't accept how they sounded between my 2 ears.

I have a $16,000 hifi system & an $1149 pair of CIEMS.  There are certain aspects of both that the other doesn't come close to matching.  Soundstage & Body goes to the hifi system, there's not fight there.  Even with $8,000 worth of subwoofers, the hifi system doesn't come close to the insane low-end definition on the JH16.  They are two utterly different experiences.

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #1,159 of 3,218
All I can say is, after you've spent 1000 for an earbud once, you will feel nothing for the 2nd time, 3rd time etc...
It is a scary price for me at first too, and now look where I am, I've bought at least 7,8 of these...

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #1,161 of 3,218
Quote:
Haha! music_4321, your newfound sense of humor (when taken literally by some readers) may be doing more damage than good, mate.

P.S. I'll offer you $126.

Indeed.

I'm trying to sell mine over here and he's downright killing me.

angry_face.gif

Jun 10, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #1,163 of 3,218
Quote:
All I can say is, after you've spent 1000 for an earbud once, you will feel nothing for the 2nd time, 3rd time etc...
It is a scary price for me at first too, and now look where I am, I've bought at least 7,8 of these...

Your signature list makes sense to me but I do not want to pursue the options, well soon anyway.

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #1,165 of 3,218
Quote:

Can you carry a "great sound Hi-Fi system" in your pocket everywhere you go? Can you listen to a "great sound Hi-Fi system" without disturbing those (sitting) very near / next to you? Would you take a "great sound Hi-Fi system" on a trip / plane with you and leave it in a hotel room? Do you actually know how some of these "tiny IEMs" sound? Do you know the research that went into developing some of these very expensive products?

Am I saying the price of these products is justified? Not necessarily, though certainly more justified—or less unjustified, if you will—depending on the product you look at.

Still so many misconceptions regarding audio, the real SQ of many (new) products, people's real needs & preferences, custom & universal IEMs, IEMs vs full-sized phones, isolating vs poor/non-isolating IEMs, portable & home systems, audio file formats, etc....

Yes, there is hype, marketing, BS, exaggeration, stupidity, people often rationalising an (unnecessary) expensive purchase, and so on... but there's more to it than that.

Quote:
I have a $16,000 hifi system & an $1149 pair of CIEMS.  There are certain aspects of both that the other doesn't come close to matching.  Soundstage & Body goes to the hifi system, there's not fight there.  Even with $8,000 worth of subwoofers, the hifi system doesn't come close to the insane low-end definition on the JH16.  They are two utterly different experiences.

Perhaps jlesnick Hi-Fi system experience explaination has showed some answer to music_4321 concerns.

Ask yourself In the first place, why do one purchase extreme price audio equipment? For show-off? For good look?
No, it's just for GREAT SOUND EXPERIENCE !!!

So Still there's no way a tiny IEM matching a full Hi-Fi system sound.
Even a headphone price at $2000+, does not give what a great sound experience from a great Hi-Fi system.
In fact it's not even close.

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #1,166 of 3,218
Quote:

Perhaps jlesnick Hi-Fi system experience explaination has showed some answer to music_4321 concerns.

Ask yourself In the first place, why do one purchase extreme price audio equipment? For show-off? For good look?

Even a headphone price at $2000+, does not give what a great sound experience from a great Hi-Fi system.

Strong words from someone whose best headphone is a mid-tier sub-$200 phone.

Too bad your neighbors will "enjoy" your Beiber tracks along with you.

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #1,168 of 3,218
Quote:

Strong words from someone whose best headphone is a mid-tier sub-$200 phone.

Too bad your neighbors will "enjoy" your Beiber tracks along with you.

Gotta admit I laughed... Be nice now! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 11, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #1,170 of 3,218

Why would you want to compare two systems that are clearly designed for different purposes. I have both a home system and portable/desktop headphone system. I agree that there are certain things in music that an audio system can portray better than a headphone (but you gotta have good room acoustic treatments) and also certain things that a headphone can do better or equal (tone, timbre, details) at the same or lower price. However, both systems give me a smile and make me feel relaxed when I listen. That itself makes the system worth it no matter what I've paid. I've come to realize for some time that the best system is the one that allows you to enjoy your music whether it is an ipod, portable stack, or home system. In fact, I listen to my portable system more often than my home as most of my music is easy listening jazz, pop, country and use my home system only when the music calls for scale, body, and the feeling that the performance has to be in front of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back