Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Jun 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #1,141 of 3,218
Quote:
I'll give you $200 plus pp fees for 'em.
wink.gif

Quote:
Haha! music_4321, your newfound sense of humor (when taken literally by some readers) may be doing more damage than good, mate.

P.S. I'll offer you $126.

Sorry, but my vintage Skullcandys are not for sale.

Jun 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #1,142 of 3,218
Quote:

Oui touché!
biggrin.gif
You can keep your lovely Vintage SkullCandy!  I think @up late & @Oof Oink talking about getting your K3003 !?!

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #1,143 of 3,218
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, and no it's not (especially over a period of 10 years)!
If you enter into the swamp of Hi-Fi, be prepared to suffer; financially and otherwise...
frown.gif

pull the other one man - it plays jingle bells. lol! there's no rational justification for that kind of outlay on earphones.

Of course not, but that's not really the point. Many of us are looking for perfection but it somehow deludes us and that is what is so costly. I think I get decent sound straight out of my Dell laptop computer with my Koss Porta Pros. If I were rational I'd say that's all I need to truly enjoy music. However, I (and I believe most people, even those who claim themselves to be rational) probably base 99 out of a 100 decisions on emotion rather than on rationality. Just take a look at advertising; it seldom, if ever has anything to do with rationality.

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #1,144 of 3,218
Jun 9, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #1,145 of 3,218
Quote:
aftermarket cables do make a night and day difference sonically, I have personally experienced. However, it's not those mass production cable from companies, it is rather a custom-made cable from my friend, which pushed my JH16 to a whole new level that I can't even believe.

That’s it! I'm going into cables! I knew there was something missing in my quest for perfect sound. Who's got the best after-market cables for the SE846? There is a slight hiss (or is it extreme, or is it just me, hm...) in my "iPod Classic + CLAS -dB + ALO RxMK3-B + FitEar ToGo 334"-rig. I guess the problem is that it’s all single ended connections. Balanced after-market cables for a mere $1000 or so ought to give me perfect sound and get rid of the hiss as well, right?

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #1,146 of 3,218
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
  1. Audiophiles can easily hear the difference between FLAC & WAV... even when riding on the loud London underground using vented IEMs or open-back headphones.

Hear the difference between lossless even when riding on the loud London underground using vented IEMs?! I don't think so!!

http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/WAV-FLAC.htm

Ummmm - you did read the other points in music_4321's post, and realise it was satire/humour?

Party pooper! We could've had so much fun!
wink.gif

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #1,147 of 3,218
Quote:
Quote:
Ugly,expensive, and not practical at all.I will take the old Westome UM2 over this at any time.

Yes, extremely ugly, outrageously expensive, totally impractical and, on top of that, one of the worst-sounding IEMs out there. I still much prefer my 4-year-old Skulcandys over my K3003s. Have tried selling my AKGs several times, but the highest offer I got was $125.00 (which included expensive [$75.00] FedEx / UPS shipping & 4% PP fees).

I have to agree, the UM2 rocks, it's definitely one of the nicest looking hearing aids IEMs I've ever seen.

Yeah, when I found out how expensive it was its soncis completely changed and almost destroyed my ear drums.
W A R N I N G :   S t a y   a w a y   f r o m   i t !

Jun 9, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #1,148 of 3,218
Jun 9, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #1,150 of 3,218
Quote:

Nobody has a vintage Skulllcandy - no one. Now you may have owned one for a few years - but you have sent it in to be replaced at least every three months.
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #1,151 of 3,218
Quote:
Nobody has a vintage Skulllcandy - no one. Now you may have owned one for a few years - but you have sent it in to be replaced at least every three months.
biggrin.gif

Nice one! That's why you buy two at a time. Just a continuos rotation of skull candy. I think the name nails it. It's not Earcandy, it's Skullcandy. Show's where the focus is. Looks sharp... to some. Lives up to its name. 

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #1,153 of 3,218
Quote:
I find it appropriate to post here something I posted in a different thread a few days ago. Hope this helps many inexperienced members or experienced members who may have forgotten what true audiophilia is about.

A few facts:

1. Bigger = better.
  2. More expensive = better
  3. More drivers = better
  4. Custom IEMs wipe the floor with universal IEMs
  5. (Expensive) aftermarket cables will make a night and day difference sonically
  6. A portable amp & DAC are a must
  7. Hi-Res files are it; well-mastered 192kbps / 256kbps / 320kbps / WAV rips suck
  8. Audiophiles can easily hear the difference between FLAC & WAV... even when riding on the loud London underground using vented IEMs or open-back headphones.
  9. Only $1,000+ DAPs have decent SQ
  10. Apple sucks
  1. The more audio jargon a person uses, the more knowledgeable they are
  2. The higher the post-count, the more knowledgeable the person is

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #1,154 of 3,218
Thanks for the comments.  I believe you certainly after looking at your history of equipment.  This is why I joined Head-Fi - to gain the experience of members like you.

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #1,155 of 3,218
Quote:
Very interesting. I'm not really in the market --- went from the SE535 to the JH16 pro. But had these been out, I would have given them a hard look. I'm interested to see how they compare to customs in that price range.

I made the same switch earlier this year, and I have the same sentiments as you.  I'm not going to lie I truly miss the midcentric-ness of the Shure's, but the low-end on the 16'ss is just so addicting.  Still very curious as to what these will sound like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back