Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Jun 8, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #1,115 of 3,218
Looks cool, but they are going to be competing with Triple to Quad Driver CIEM for that price range. Take Unique Melody Aero or Mage as an example.

These are far beyond the price range of the aero and mage. However, I'd say they'd more realistically be competeing against the KH3003 and other $1000 universals more than anything.

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #1,116 of 3,218
Quote:
These are far beyond the price range of the aero and mage. However, I'd say they'd more realistically be competeing against the KH3003 and other $1000 universals more than anything.

Seems like the pressure is up for these to out-shine many competitors.
Is the high price due to the brand name or the material cost? Or rather, the delicate tuning? Because a thousand bucks is really really expensive for a universal IEM.

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #1,117 of 3,218
I'd go with the brand name, Shure seems determine to milk as much as possible from their image and reputation.

Other brands *cough apple do so and get away with releasing mediocre products to people more than willing to simply pay for the brand name.

I genuinely can't say I blame Shure, although, as a loyal Shure customer, I was really disappointed upon learning of the MSRP and 'street price'.

Jun 8, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #1,118 of 3,218
I find it appropriate to post here something I posted in a different thread a few days ago. Hope this helps many inexperienced members or experienced members who may have forgotten what true audiophilia is about.

A few facts:

1. Bigger = better.
  2. More expensive = better
  3. More drivers = better
  4. Custom IEMs wipe the floor with universal IEMs
  5. (Expensive) aftermarket cables will make a night and day difference sonically
  6. A portable amp & DAC are a must
  7. Hi-Res files are it; well-mastered 192kbps / 256kbps / 320kbps / WAV rips suck
  8. Audiophiles can easily hear the difference between FLAC & WAV... even when riding on the loud London underground using vented IEMs or open-back headphones.
  9. Only $1,000+ DAPs have decent SQ
  10. Apple sucks
  1. The more audio jargon a person uses, the more knowledgeable they are
  2. The higher the post-count, the more knowledgeable the person is

Jun 8, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #1,119 of 3,218
I find it appropriate to post here something I posted in a different thread a few days ago. Hope this helps many inexperienced members or experienced members who may have forgotten what true audiophilia is about.

A few facts:

• Bigger = better.
  • More expensive = better
  • More drivers = better
  • Custom IEMs wipe the floor with universal IEMs
  • (Expensive) aftermarket cables will make a night and day difference sonically
  • A portable amp & DAC are a must
  • Hi-Res files are it; well-mastered 192kbps / 256kbps / 320kbps / WAV rips suck
  • Audiophiles can easily hear the difference between FLAC & WAV... even when riding on the loud London underground using vented IEMs or open-back headphones.
  • Only $1,000+ DAPs have decent SQ
  • Apple sucks
  • The more audio jargon a person uses, the more knowledgeable they are
  • The higher the post-count, the more knowledgeable the person is

This. +1

Jun 8, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #1,120 of 3,218
Quote:

A few facts:

1. Bigger = better.
  3. More drivers = better
  5. (Expensive) aftermarket cables will make a night and day difference sonically
  7. Hi-Res files are it; well-mastered 192kbps / 256kbps / 320kbps / WAV rips suck
  8. Audiophiles can easily hear the difference between FLAC & WAV... even when riding on the loud London underground using vented IEMs or open-back headphones.
  10. Apple sucks

Amen!

Jun 8, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #1,121 of 3,218
Quote:

A few facts:

1. Bigger = better.
  3. More drivers = better
  10. Apple sucks

That's just so precious.

Jun 8, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #1,122 of 3,218
Quote:
I couldn't get past that he's spent over $10,000 on earphones. man that is insane!

Yes, and no it's not (especially over a period of 10 years)!
If you enter into the swamp of Hi-Fi, be prepared to suffer; financially and otherwise...
frown.gif

Jun 8, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #1,123 of 3,218
Quote:
Quote:
Wow!  Are these the most expensive universals now at $999?

Nevermind....just remembered the 1plus2

I think AKG K3003 is the most pricy universal IEM today!   ($1200)

I guess that could very well be true! However, in this particular case (the AKG K3003) its price affects its sonic qualities, most notably its inability to be coherently sounding. It's funny, I always thought the qualities of a product could affect its price, but learning that the price can indeed affect a products qualities (or lack of it) is new to me, or maybe it's just me, or here on HF!? Maybe the same will happen to the Shure SE846.

Jun 8, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #1,124 of 3,218
Quote:
Quote:

I'm semi-surprised that head-fi even allows the science section, and I strongly suspect that a lot of pressure has been put on Jude to get rid of it...

It's time to recalibrate your spidey sense, roy_jones. There has been absolutely no pressure to get rid of it--I don't believe I've received a single request from any member of the trade to lose the Sound Science forum.

That said, this thread is going way off topic again, and there may be some thread pruning to get it back on topic.

As a reminder, this thread is about the Shure SE846.

So, back on topic...

You know, we're sort of waiting for the Shure SE846 to become available to the common man so that we can form our own opinions, and in the mean time we need something to do, so...
wink.gif

Or, maybe the best way to deal with the OT:ers is to lend them your Shure SE846, and why not start with me!?
biggrin.gif

(Hope I wasn't too OT now...
eek.gif
)

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #1,125 of 3,218
Quote:

A few facts:

1. Bigger = better.
  3. More drivers = better
  10. Apple sucks

aftermarket cables do make a night and day difference sonically, I have personally experienced. However, it's not those mass production cable from companies, it is rather a custom-made cable from my friend, which pushed my JH16 to a whole new level that I can't even believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back