Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #931 of 3,218
Quote:
62 pages of mostly bitter people saying the se846 are too expensive so they will not buy them or thinking they know better then the management of Shure on how to sell iems. It is like watching a soccer game in a bar and seing the drunkards yelling advice at the players on TV.

Shure conducted research and came out with something new and interesting. They sell it a price they decided is optimal. Buy it or don't.

I was thinking the same thing, though it's exciting news in the world of the audiophile, so these 60 pages or so were going to be filled some way or another!

I just keep it simple for myself - however they price it is completely and entirely up to them. It's theirs. Whether they make a profit or loss - it's their success/failure. You know what, the fish & chip shop opposite my office charge 50p for a sachet of ketchup. That's a ridiculous price and the last time I bought fish/chips from there (very well made mind you), for my ketchup, I went to a supermarket next door and got a whole bottle for £1. If for you the shure 846 is like this sachet of ketchup, I'm sure there are many ways of going elsewhere to get more value for money. 

May 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #933 of 3,218
Arg! Too expensive! Grumble grumble......crooks.....fiends......rabble rabble....made in Thailand?! THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!!!

Lol. I'm almost unsure but is that identifying my earlier reference in a clever way? Do I owe you a PayPal gift of 50 massive cents??

May 20, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #934 of 3,218
Quote:

I was thinking the same thing, though it's exciting news in the world of the audiophile, so these 60 pages or so were going to be filled some way or another!

I just keep it simple for myself - however they price it is completely and entirely up to them. It's theirs. Whether they make a profit or loss - it's their success/failure. You know what, the fish & chip shop opposite my office charge 50p for a sachet of ketchup. That's a ridiculous price and the last time I bought fish/chips from there (very well made mind you), for my ketchup, I went to a supermarket next door and got a whole bottle for £1. If for you the shure 846 is like this sachet of ketchup, I'm sure there are many ways of going elsewhere to get more value for money. 

What matters most, in my view, is whether the ketchup is made in China or not.

(PS Curious about that "very well made" fish & chips, BTW. Seriously)

May 20, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #935 of 3,218
Quote:

Wait, do you mean I should pour ketchup in my ears ? Will it sound good ?

May 20, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #936 of 3,218
May 20, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #937 of 3,218
Quote:
Does SE846 sound better than SE535 by 3X? Because it is 3X more expensive than SE535.

Here is where the automotive analogy fits pretty well. A Corvette costs 50K and a Ferrari costs 250K - The Ferrari doesn't go 5 times faster, it just sounds better at the same speed.

May 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #938 of 3,218
I would actually argue its immoral to charge this much for a pair of earphones.

What happens if you buy a pair from Amazon? Does the spiritual world implode?

Speaking of the spiritual world...The Legend of Korra - Book 2: Spirits should be airing sometime this year.

Sorry, off topic. Carry on with your guy's never ending debate about the price that won't change any time soon.

May 20, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #939 of 3,218
Well, this has devolved into a remarkably stupid thread. Shure is selling a high-end product in a free market economy, if there's no demand for it then they won't sell any, and those of you complaining about the price will probably be thrilled. Or Shure did their due diligence, they'll sell to customers with a WTP corresponding to the offering price and then I suspect the whiners will have to eat their words. Either way, there's no point in complaining. The price is the price. Welcome to capitalism. 

Now, I might have missed this amid the silliness, but can someone who actually knows what they're talking about tell me if/when Shure is expected to roll out updates for the rest of their IEM line?

May 20, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #940 of 3,218
Quote:
Well, this has devolved into a remarkably stupid thread. Shure is selling a high-end product in a free market economy, if there's no demand for it then they won't sell any, and those of you complaining about the price will probably be thrilled. Or Shure did their due diligence, they'll sell to customers with a WTP corresponding to the offering price and then I suspect the whiners will have to eat their words. Either way, there's no point in complaining. The price is the price. Welcome to capitalism. 

Now, I might have missed this amid the silliness, but can someone who actually knows what they're talking about tell me if/when Shure is expected to roll out updates for the rest of their IEM line?

Thank you for your remarkably insighful addition.
wink.gif

Juuuuust kidding. Welcome to the party.

May 20, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #941 of 3,218
Good point. A lot of it is perception too. I found it odd how Westone and UE made quad drivers withquite a bit less bass than their triple drivers but marketed them like they were simply better and most bought into it.

I would be willing to bet if UE900 came out first. And TF10 was just newly released (with perhaps better ergonomics), UE could have gotten away with charging $800 for it. ( "Deeper, bigger bass, higher extended treble, enhance your listening experience, etc...)

Perception and marketing plays a big role in what a consumer is willing to pay.

To this day I think TF10 sounds better than UE900 regardless of price.

May 20, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #942 of 3,218
Quote:
Good point. A lot of it is perception too. I found it odd how Westone and UE made quad drivers withquite a bit less bass than their triple drivers but marketed them like they were simply better and most bought into it.

I would be willing to bet if UE900 came out first. And TF10 was just newly released (with perhaps better ergonomics), UE could have gotten away with charging $800 for it. ( "Deeper, bigger bass, higher extended treble, enhance your listening experience, etc...)

Perception and marketing plays a big role in what a consumer is willing to pay.

To this day I think TF10 sounds better than UE900 regardless of price.

UE900 could never be charged more than Westone 4's price... Who would buy a 800 UE900 considering it is technically the same as Westone 4 with worse everything else...

May 20, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #943 of 3,218
Quote:
Wait, do you mean I should pour ketchup in my ears ? Will it sound good ?

If there's anything like ketchup in your ears, it's probably a bad thing. Wonder which headphone can make your eardrums bleed like that - maybe a belligerant beyer/ultrasone.

Quote:

(PS Curious about that "very well made" fish & chips, BTW. Seriously)

They make it in front of you using fresh ingredients. Firstly the chef collects a tub of freshly chopped potatoes from his assistants in the large kitchen and places them into the hot oil to fry. Then he gets out the fish, again freshly cut by the folks in the kitchen, and dips it into a batter mix. Very skillfully he transfers this to a separate oil filled section of the fryer, taking extra care to not let anything spill. When all is fried, the excess oil is drained well and good, meaning it is ready to be packaged either in take out or dine in configurations. Needless to say that In all instances the fish is perfectly cooked with an ever-present signature crunch and texture to the batter complementing very well the weighty fulfilling golden chips. 

Lets choose the takeout option. So the chef will politely ask how much, if any, salt/vinegar/pepper one would like to be added - you can even (i do anyway) specify the number of times the chef shakes or twists the salt and pepper pots. Finally he asks if you want ketchup. He politely announces this to cost 50p a sachet at which point you, politely of course, tell him to go screw himself. 

I guess you now have to pay for the fish and chips, which is fine as you get your moneys worth here. But with the ketchup, come on, it's a rip off.

May 20, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #944 of 3,218
Quote:
UE900 could never be charged more than Westone 4's price... Who would buy a 800 UE900 considering it is technically the same as Westone 4 with worse everything else...

No, missing the point (or I'm not explaining myself well).    For the sake of argument say UE900 was a triple driver and came out 4 years ago when TF10 did....and it sounds exactly as it does.   Then let's say today, UE comes out with TF10 and let's just say it is a 4 driver and also sounds exactly as it does.

UE could chartge $800 for TF10 !!!   "BIGGER BASS, FAR MORE EXTENDED TREBLE....."   And people would buy it!  You could certainly sell and market the TF10 as a big bold upgrade to UE900.

Just trying to point out the power of marketing, perception and persuation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back