Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Nov 22, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #2,327 of 3,218
Spook76, sorry to hear about your cable issue. I can vouch that some intermittence seems to easily develop at either the clip connector, else bent going around the ear, my guess is that it's the former...

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #2,329 of 3,218
Btw another fantastic recording to test your 846s on: Alexander Scriabin, Le Pòeme de l'extase, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Pierre Boulez conducting.

I've loved this composition since I was a teenager, and it will truly bring out everything, highs, lows, ability to distinguish details amidst a wall of sound, air, you name it. :)

I also have to say, for younger members of the forum, looking for a mate, bring them to a concert or play this to them on a great sound system or let them listen on IEMs; if they have any sexual imagination whatsoever, they will come away from the experience telling you listening to this piece is better than sex. So it's a great reference recording that way, too. :wink:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #2,330 of 3,218
Thanks to all who provided insight and feedback on the SE846, that helped me make my decision :)

I'll jump from my PFE232 to those after a non conclusive experience with the IE800 that I returned for the SE846.

Anyone in Europe managed to get their hands on a pair ? I am in France and mine should arrive on dec 20th (long wait...)

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #2,331 of 3,218
Hi All,

I'm a happy 846 owner and would like to share some findings of mine.

Firstly, I have compared the neutral and treble filter.

The treble filter allows the sound to slightly more open sounding and possibly a little more transparent with a taller soundstage. However the good points end there as the 846 might then end up becoming a little shrill and fatiguing.

The neutral filter is honestly though not as transparent as the treble filter, it provides the most natural timbre anyone can asked first, vocals are so lifelike, electronic tunes just make you want to tap your feet. It's extremely euphonic and makes you enjoy te music rather than care about all the technicalities, it's marvelous!

I also compare the stock cable and a Null Audio Arete Cable. Once again, the Null Audio are perhaps a little leaner sounding and might have have a little, just a wee bit more transparent, however, just that slight drop in lower minds and the tonality sounded a little off, the 846 still sounds best with its stock cable though I presume a copper cable might work too (but I have no experience with that).

Just a side note, I'm using a
iPod Classic>Alo Audio National>846 Setup.

Hope this helps!
To Sum Up:
The SE846s, Timbre Like No Other~

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #2,333 of 3,218
I am sure the stock cable IS copper.
What u really mean is you're sure it's probably copper. I also see some silver in it. Don't know if that means there actually is any silver used as a conductor or not. It could be silver plated copper I guess. I'd like to know what the conductors in the stock cable are exactly. I don't think I've heard anyone say definitively that they thought their single ended custom cable sounds better than the stock cable. I've heard some people say they had a custom & stock cable, but weren't going to bother with the stock. And some say their balanced silver cable sounds better, but that's not really comparing apples to apples. The stock cable sounds very good to me. I'd be interested in a comparison with a single ended DHC Fusion or pure OCC silver litz cable. And I'd gladly pay for it if there was a noticeable difference. I'm just not willing to pay $300-$450 to find out.

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #2,334 of 3,218
When I switched from the stock cables to OCC silver cables from Headphone Lounge I noticed a materiel change in the sound. The clarity improved and from top to bottom the sound tightened and the PRaT improved. Is it night and day, no but it was noticeable. Finally, at only $200 for pure OCC silver cables Ted Allen and Headphone Lounge is hard to beat for price, speed and build quality.

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #2,335 of 3,218
When I switched from the stock cables to OCC silver cables from Headphone Lounge I noticed a materiel change in the sound. The clarity improved and from top to bottom the sound tightened and the PRaT improved. Is it night and day, no but it was noticeable. Finally, at only $200 for pure OCC silver cables Ted Allen and Headphone Lounge is hard to beat for price, speed and build quality.
Yeah, but wasn't ur silver cable balanced? The stock is not.

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #2,337 of 3,218
I have both single end and balanced OCC silver cables from Headphone Lounge. My comparison is from A/B stock vs. single ended silver. I owned the single ended before I owned a balanced amplifier.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the info. "Not a night & day difference" to me sounds like it could just sound different, & not necessarily better. The 846 sounds great 2 me now w/ the stock cable, so I'll probably just stick with not knowing what I'm missing for awhile. :-D

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #2,338 of 3,218
Ah, I see. Thanks for the info. "Not a night & day difference" to me sounds like it could just sound different, & not necessarily better. The 846 sounds great 2 me now w/ the stock cable, so I'll probably just stick with not knowing what I'm missing for awhile. :-D

I apologize if I was not clear. There is a material sonic improment in the sound from stock to OCC silver. I highly recommend upgrading to OCC silver cables with an SE846.

Nov 30, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #2,339 of 3,218

I apologize if I was not clear. There is a material sonic improment in the sound from stock to OCC silver. I highly recommend upgrading to OCC silver cables with an SE846.

Well I think it's possible for a sonic upgrade using cables but what makes the 846 so special and great is it's so precisely tweaked timbre/tonality and a cable swap would make the euphony and musicality go away which is a shame.

Though I would be even happier if the stock cables were ever so slightly less stiff.

Dec 1, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #2,340 of 3,218
I'm looking for a headphone/IEM upgrade, and still unwilling to delve into customs.  I keep coming back to this thread for no other reason than Shure being a solid company overall (IME at least).  The SE846 are within my budget, but I still find it hard to pull the trigger for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back