Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Nov 21, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #2,311 of 3,218
Mitch,

My portable rig is iPod Touch 5th-->Lightning to 30 pin adapter-->silver LOD-->RSA Protector-->balanced OCC silver cables-->SE846. I use 3M's Scotch fasteners to connect the amp to the iPod. Very low profile and with a balanced amp and silver cables the sound is 3D and sublime.

Not sure if you know: you're using the iPod as a transport for the DAC in the lightning to 30 pin adapter because the lightning port is digital only so to get the analog line out for the 30 pin, they put a DAC chip in the adapter. Glad to hear it sounds good though.

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #2,312 of 3,218
Not sure if you know: you're using the iPod as a transport for the DAC in the lightning to 30 pin adapter because the lightning port is digital only so to get the analog line out for the 30 pin, they put a DAC chip in the adapter. Glad to hear it sounds good though.

I believe the Lightning to 30 pin adapter has a Wolfson DAC chip and I love the sound it produces.

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #2,313 of 3,218
I believe the Lightning to 30 pin adapter has a Wolfson DAC chip and I love the sound it produces.

Yea that's what I heard. Good to know it's solid. Might be a fun test for me if I get one.

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #2,315 of 3,218
@All who recommended me different setups:

Thanks for the suggestions will definitely take note when upgrading. Quite a stretch tho, as I would need new cables, new amps and possibly a new connector?

And correct me if I'm wrong but it isn't what the dac is, as which dac a product use just provides a platform for the manafacturer to work on or work with. What is more or most important I thought is the implementation of the Dac isn't it? And being implemented in a connector? I am unsure about that, but of course,the ipod won't exactly priortise the implementation of it's dac chip. And hence the Connector> 3.5mm to 3.5mm

Dalton's AK120 setup seems the most simple and most portable!

Spook setup is also impressive, possibly defeating the AK120 but still, I actually mind the bulk haha!

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #2,316 of 3,218
My set up is a product of the fact my music is either Apple lossless or 320kbps MP3. I have no high resolution music so I feel no need for a high resolution DAP. If I did have high rez music, the AK-120 would be my first choice as I think it is the best high rez DAP on the market.

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #2,317 of 3,218
you got no job and you still can manage a way to squeeze the fat, share me your secret how does one man turns nothing into something. how do you make money with no jobs which later save you enough dope to buy both jh16 & se846?

Most people in higher eduminaction institutions use student loans to pay for tuition, room and board....discretionary spending

So in effect they are like wimpy "I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today"

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #2,318 of 3,218
Yupp if you have high rez its good. Which I do purchase. However need to keep in mind hi rez does not equate to better recordings. Its a combination of both quality of the recording process and its resolution. Did some comparison myself and felt some hi rez are just crappy. Anyway for something more portable can consider rsa too. The sr-71a sounded good. Gave more space to the sound for the 846.

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #2,319 of 3,218
Oups!

The right side just dies on me while I was reajusting the fit. Last sound I heard was weird: like a split second worth of xylophone like sound. It's as if one armature went south and I heard its last ringing...

Now it could be the cable as I also was getting some intermittance on the other channel while fiddling with the fit. But it went back to normal after a week or so and I haven't bothered bringing it back to the dealer.

Looks like I have to get it serviced after all, I wonder if the lack if availability in the us/europe is because of Q/C issues with the initial batches for asia?

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #2,320 of 3,218
There have been a few reports of that happening. Could be on the early batches or more. When are yours from, any idea? Definitely troublesome, even though Shure will definitely replace that side for you.

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #2,321 of 3,218
I certainly am part of the initial batches as I was on the initial preorder list at one of dealers here in Tokyo.

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #2,322 of 3,218
Hopefully that's just a potential issue on the early batches then. One of the downsides of being an early adopter for anything. I just got mine this past month. I would hope there wouldn't be an issue like that :p.

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #2,323 of 3,218
Arnaud,

I know that the BAs are made by Shure themselves and it could be Q/C with the armitures or the low pass filter causing the delays. If it is any consolation when I damaged my blue filters, I had new ones free of charge within a week. Shure has supurb customer service.

Edit: After I posted this my right IEM also died (Arnaud you cursed me). No fears it was the cables as I have not cleared them in months but both are back working great. I hope your problem is the cables not the IEM.

Nov 21, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #2,324 of 3,218
Hopefully that's just a potential issue on the early batches then. One of the downsides of being an early adopter for anything. I just got mine this past month. I would hope there wouldn't be an issue like that :p.

I certainly hope it is not an issue with the early batches as I got mine in August as part of the first batch in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back