Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Nov 16, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #2,283 of 3,218
Sorry if this a re-posting of an earlier discussion on this thread, I just find it kind of interesting.

It's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison, of course, as headphones couple to the ears differently than IEMs, but:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=4061&graphID[]=4223&graphID[]=4213&graphID[]=4203&scale=15

What I notice here in the graph above is that the SE846 Black filter FR curve closely approximates what the HD800 does in the low range, whereas the white filter does the same in the high frequency spectrum in the area above the highest detectable high-frequency tones the ear can distinguish, i.e. around 4.4kHz (above that is not detected as tone, but basically transient coloration).

It's apples and oranges because how the HD800 sounds in these frequency ranges is going to be a bit different; however, the curve-matching does occur in the parts of the frequency spectrum that are more likely to interact with the ear in similar ways, whether it be IEM or headphone.

So what this optimistically suggests to me is that both companies are approaching a level of scientific control over accurate reproduction that is a step forward.

And also, you might think of the Shure Black/White filters as options to bias your IEM to sound more like the low end warmth or high end sparkle characteristic of the HD800, depending on what you find more appealing. And the Blue filter gives you what Shure feels is the most neutral compromise between the two, if you don't like either. :)

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #2,284 of 3,218
Anybody pairing the SE846 with Hifiman's HM-901?

I don't find it going very well with each other. In fact, I even find that I am getting a better experience with my Iphone 5S than my HM-901.

But of course, with the meager 9 ohms impedance of the SE846 being amped by the balanced-card (single-endedly) equipped HM-901, it might just be over-amped... Maybe a different source or different amp card for me?

Nov 17, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #2,285 of 3,218

I don't find it going very well with each other. In fact, I even find that I am getting a better experience with my Iphone 5S than my HM-901.

But of course, with the meager 9 ohms impedance of the SE846 being amped by the balanced-card (single-endedly) equipped HM-901, it might just be over-amped... Maybe a different source or different amp card for me?

I recently sold my 846 to a guy using hm901 too .. he seems to love the pairing ... haha ... that was what i got from him

Nov 17, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #2,286 of 3,218

I do not think the HM-901 is over amplifying the 846 as I pair mine with the iPod Touch 5th and the RSA Protector with balanced cables. The sound is sublime and the Protector is an incredibly powerful portable amp. Someone else on the thread felt that same way you did that the iPhone was a better source for the 846 than the HM-901.

Nov 17, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #2,287 of 3,218
I do not think the HM-901 is over amplifying the 846 as I pair mine with the iPod Touch 5th and the RSA Protector with balanced cables. The sound is sublime and the Protector is an incredibly powerful portable amp. Someone else on the thread felt that same way you did that the iPhone was a better source for the 846 than the HM-901.

Hmmm... Any suggestions for sources other than the iPhone?

Nov 17, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #2,288 of 3,218
like i say earlier from my previous threads, it's a really down shame that I can't mess with different filters to match my desire because it was belonged to a friend of the store owner. courtesy wise it's rude to fiddle around someone's property. back to the topic, when i first auditioned these cans, it was the blue filter, a neutralized sound. To my ears' preference, they might enjoy warmer sound which the black filter offers but to my disappointment i didn't try either black nor the white filter. so that means i have to wait for them to become widely available in the region i live in. then i will let my ears decide whether these cans are a huge upgrade from my 535 and whether the price is justifiable.
So far i'm enjoying the sound that my se535ltd produces a visceral, impactful subwoofer bass and the HD acoustic soundstage it makes!

Nov 17, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #2,289 of 3,218
  I recently sold my 846 to a guy using hm901 too .. he seems to love the pairing ... haha ... that was what i got from him

WHAT? recent post which you brag about how much you love your 846 and you sold it!? please share your story. cos i'm dying to know! so what IEM did you end up getting for selling your 846?

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #2,290 of 3,218

WHAT? recent post which you brag about how much you love your 846 and you sold it!? please share your story. cos i'm dying to know! so what IEM did you end up getting for selling your 846?

The 846 is great but customs will surpass them for sure. Sadly, some personal reasons hinder my purchase of customs so I ended up with the 846. Btw, JH Audio are coming up with a universal, seems like a contender that might make me want it.

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #2,291 of 3,218
The 846 is great but customs will surpass them for sure. Sadly, some personal reasons hinder my purchase of customs so I ended up with the 846. Btw, JH Audio are coming up with a universal, seems like a contender that might make me want it.

The Roxanne universal does look interesting but I do not think it can be wired for a balanced amplifier because of the bass boost on the cable will not allow a four channel (LRLR) signal to the IEM. To me the 846 balanced is far more desirable than any other universal unbalanced.

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #2,292 of 3,218
Hmmm... I have a JH16Pro AND a SE846. I find both pretty nice to have. LOL.

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #2,294 of 3,218
Does anyone use HTC 8X with 846 ? I'm curious about this combination...Because I will use 846 with 8X when I had it.

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #2,295 of 3,218

yupp my jh16 is better than the se846 ... and i have only one pair of ears so no point keeping both ... but if i were to choose a universal fit i would definitely choose the 846 anytime ... i sold it not cos it was bad but because it has become rather under utilized ... only use them when i'm have to do task that requires me to put on and off the iems frequently. so i decided to sell them since i was offered a good price ... i got my jh16 at 1.4k++ during the summer sale and i kinda evaded tax so that was all i paid ...the 846 is still the universal to go to if you ask me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back