Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Nov 9, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #2,221 of 3,218
The SE846 is a rather unique pair of earphones. Ask a few around, I hated them at first sight but after hearing them out twice and thrice, the 846 is now in my pocket for every bus and plane ride I take. The clarity, tonality and headstage and soundstage and realism for a earphone is rather impressive.

Of course it can't hold a candle to speakers or larger headphones (open cans especially) but I can't use both of them on public transport can I? I did quite a few tweaks to my system for my 846 though and despite of that, the tonality is not perfect for every genre but it is great for most.

I swapped the blue (neutral) filters for white (treble) and swap the cable to Null Audio Arete (bring up mids and also comfort level). My amplifier is the Alo Audio National (Increase headstage, soundstage, improve instrument separation, clarity and to sum up bring an upgrade across the board). This setup of mine works great for jazz, instruments, classical and vocals, and also do good enough for pop.

However, the cable swap caused a significant bass decrease that causes me to yearn for more when I listen to my electronic music, but as usual there is no "one-size-fit-all" option or rather "one-tone-fit-all". However, a cable swap would easily allow me to indulge in my electronic music once again.

I don't think many have such a wide taste of music (I find this sort of troublesome), so it would be easier to deal with. This is because each genre of music usually requires a certain type of tonality. Eg. Warmth for Vocals, Bass for Electronic. 

So my recommendation to kfki, hear them out again. Try different filters, cables, sources, amplifications. Other than that, check if the screw is tight (extremely dry sound if it is loose). 

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #2,224 of 3,218
  The SE846 is a rather unique pair of earphones. Ask a few around, I hated them at first sight but after hearing them out twice and thrice, the 846 is now in my pocket for every bus and plane ride I take. The clarity, tonality and headstage and soundstage and realism for a earphone is rather impressive.

Of course it can't hold a candle to speakers or larger headphones (open cans especially) but I can't use both of them on public transport can I? I did quite a few tweaks to my system for my 846 though and despite of that, the tonality is not perfect for every genre but it is great for most.

I swapped the blue (neutral) filters for white (treble) and swap the cable to Null Audio Arete (bring up mids and also comfort level). My amplifier is the Alo Audio National (Increase headstage, soundstage, improve instrument separation, clarity and to sum up bring an upgrade across the board). This setup of mine works great for jazz, instruments, classical and vocals, and also do good enough for pop.

However, the cable swap caused a significant bass decrease that causes me to yearn for more when I listen to my electronic music, but as usual there is no "one-size-fit-all" option or rather "one-tone-fit-all". However, a cable swap would easily allow me to indulge in my electronic music once again.

I don't think many have such a wide taste of music (I find this sort of troublesome), so it would be easier to deal with. This is because each genre of music usually requires a certain type of tonality. Eg. Warmth for Vocals, Bass for Electronic. 

So my recommendation to kfki, hear them out again. Try different filters, cables, sources, amplifications. Other than that, check if the screw is tight (extremely dry sound if it is loose). 

I wish I can fiddle out different filters but the owner say he doesn't want his customers to swap filters because I guess in the Chinese tradition (studying in Taiwan), it's courteous manner when a friend lend you something, it's always better to return in its origin condition.

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #2,225 of 3,218

looking on the bright side, I once read this by another headfier about how you can save tonnes of money if your ears really can't hear the difference .... but most importantly having what you feels is best for your ears.... but always be open to new experience

On a side note, I personally feel that when it comes auditioning any audio equipment one should never let price influence what they feel about it. Listen through your ears analyse it with both you mind and heart.... enjoy it .... price should only be a factor whether you buy it or not .... this is because value base on price is very subjective depending on personality and background ... eg how a rich spender person will always feel everything is cheap on the other hand a rich but stingy person will feel that everything is expensive. Price is only to help you decide if you are to buy it or not and not to judge its performance

yes, i totally agree with your statement. listening to your favorite music on a very expensive audio equipment set up can make your heart content but at the same time it can also make your wallet weep in discontent! 

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #2,227 of 3,218
@kfki 

All of us are just rather surprised by your encounter with the SE846 and I don't think it is a chinese tradition to return something in its origin condition, it is respect for the owner.
Well, if you ever get to hear them once again with different filters/cables/amps/sources, don't let your first encounter fog up your thoughts. Hear the 846 (if you can) with an open mind and you will be in for a treat!

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #2,228 of 3,218
Kfki, it's always kind of people to post impressions. But come on, you don't even know what filter is in there for sure!

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #2,229 of 3,218
Kfki, it's always kind of people to post impressions. But come on, you don't even know what filter is in there for sure!

my impression obviously won't cause any kind of influence on your enjoyment with the 846s but all i'm saying my ears can't detect any huge difference that is relevant or justify to make a grand purchase on my part. everyone's ears are different and so we hear differently. it's like we're born with a unique set of fingerprints, so our preferences are bound to be different. 
for instance hollywood is known for double dipping. the only time i'm willing to double dip a dvd is when it releases an extended edition of the same film with extra minutes. but i won't purchase the same movie with new extra features like behind the scenes and etc.. someone like yourself will, but me no.

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #2,231 of 3,218
  for instance hollywood is known for double dipping. the only time i'm willing to double dip a dvd is when it releases an extended edition of the same film with extra minutes. but i won't purchase the same movie with new extra features like behind the scenes and etc.. someone like yourself will, but me no.

Ok, thank you for the clarification as the analogy really spoke to me. Now that you say this, indeed, I wear my SE846 in my nasals while the SE315s are in my ears and, while it sounds better like that to me, I do agree it's not a justified expense to most. But hey, when you can show off with 1 grand nose plugs, it's hard to resist!

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #2,232 of 3,218
I think kfki is mainly saying the difference isn't worth the extra cost to her/him, that's all. The point where that statement turns into "these are junk" or "Shure is cheating us" is what we're objecting to, as it's trying to universalize a single opinion as directive to the rest of us "not to be fooled."

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #2,233 of 3,218
I think kfki is mainly saying the difference isn't worth the extra cost to her/him, that's all. The point where that statement turns into "these are junk" or "Shure is cheating us" is what we're objecting to, as it's trying to universalize a single opinion as directive to the rest of us "not to be fooled."

He is saying that the 535 has more bass than the 846.

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #2,234 of 3,218
He is saying that the 535 has more bass than the 846.

Yeah, as I have explained before. My issue is not that he thinks they are overpriced but just that the sound he reported is not accurate based on graphs or our experiences. It would be like saying the SE535 has harsh and recessed mids compared to the Westone 3. If he doesn't like them based on their actual sound then that's fine because I know everyone has different preferences and beliefs on value.

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #2,235 of 3,218
can't people here accept the fact that KFKI thinks that it's not worth it $500 more than the 535 and this is coming from someone who really wanted an excuse to buy it I even sold my heir 4.A and 8.A in search of the ultimate universal iem but to this this day I have not found a good excuse to get the 846 based on the reviews, by the way the 535 was my first high-end iem and sold it and may buy another one and wait until the next big thing in universals comes around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back