Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Oct 11, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #2,191 of 3,218
I would say yes. Ray Samuels recommends 100-200 burn in time on his amps. Once my Protector settled down I would never use another amp and I will never listen unbalanced. All of Ray's amps have a great tubey sound to them.

I also use pure silver OCC cables and silver LOD.

The person to also ask is M_Coupe he just bought the RSA Intruder to pair with his SE846 with OCC silver cables. My burn in was a year ago but his is new as of about a month ago.

Thanks for your reply. .went for the international. .cant stand the long burn in time..

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #2,192 of 3,218
I also posted this on the SE846 appreciation thread.

I just want to give credit to the superb customer service at Shure. I received my SE846 in late August and was so eager to try the different filters that I failed to read how to properly insert them by lining up the red marks. Long story short, I damaged my blue filters by trying to jam them into the socket. Yes, I am an idiot. I contacted Shure's customer service via email and offered to pay for replacement filters. One thing to note is that Shure classifies the filters as warm, balanced and bright not by color (black, blue and white). After emailing them a picture of my invoice from Earphone Solutions, Shure's answer, no need we will send out replacement filters free of charge. Less than a week from my first email to Shure I received new blue (balanced) filters.

Three lessons to take from my story:

1. Read the instruction manual first.
2. Keep your receipt.
3. Shure has great customer service.

Oct 17, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #2,193 of 3,218

I just want to give credit to the superb customer service at Shure. I received my SE846 in late August and was so eager to try the different filters that I failed to read how to properly insert them by lining up the red marks. Long story short, I damaged my blue filters by trying to jam them into the socket. Yes, I am an idiot. I contacted Shure's customer service via email and offered to pay for replacement filters. One thing to note is that Shure classifies the filters as warm, balanced and bright not by color (black, blue and white). After emailing them a picture of my invoice from Earphone Solutions, Shure's answer, no need we will send out replacement filters free of charge. Less than a week from my first email to Shure I received new blue (balanced) filters.

2. Keep your receipt.

That is good to hear. Thumbs up to Shure! 

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #2,194 of 3,218

2. Keep your receipt.

So it's already been launched? I'm still waiting for them to get available for audition. So it's not a global launch but launching a different parts of the world? Starting with U.S, I presume.

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #2,195 of 3,218
So it's already been launched? I'm still waiting for them to get available for audition. So it's not a global launch but launching a different parts of the world? Starting with U.S, I presume.

I got mine locally in late august. I live in Montreal.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 21, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #2,196 of 3,218

To my knowledge, it actually launched in Asia first. The unveiling was in Tokyo and the early impressions came from Head-Fiers in Japan and Singapore before North America.

Nov 4, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #2,201 of 3,218

Can you give me the address to the store where you buy them? SE846. When I return to Montreal, I can go there to audit them myself.

BTW SE846 is severely scarce to the point only 6 was available from where I study. And they were gone!

Nov 4, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #2,202 of 3,218
Can you give me the address to the store where you buy them? SE846. When I return to Montreal, I can go there to audit them myself.
BTW SE846 is severely scarce to the point only 6 was available from where I study. And they were gone!

Layton audio, I work there so you can try mine :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 8, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #2,203 of 3,218
Today I was fortunate enough to audition these puppies. After a constant thorough scrutiny for 2 hours with my 535s and the 846s. a back to back comparison. I wasn't awed or disappointed, it's just not GROUNDBREAKING or REVOLUTIONARY. If you ask me if 1000 bucks for these are justify. To me, they're not. The only difference to my ears, the soundstage is slightly spacious and tight. The bass isn't impactful compare with the 535s. They're subtle and distinguishable. bass coming from the 535s, you can hear the thud, thud, thud when it is on which rumbling down in both your eardrums (it's like PS3 dualshock), however with the 846s is just subtle and elegant. The details are bit clearer, a bit more extended with the 846, for example, you can hear the birds chirping in the complicated instrumental background. But with the 535s, you can still heard the chirping, but less extended. the details are clear but not clearer. 

So in conclusion, would i be willing to pay double the price just to hear the extended, clearer detailer sound of the birds chirping in Dream Land, track 1: Children. NO!

For 425s owner, the 846s would be a huge jump, but for the 535s owners, the differences are barely noticeable!
Paying premium price for these are the types of folks that wanted to show that they got that kind of moolah to burn. it's to show off their financial status. the sad thing is when the 846s became obsoleted because 959s are coming to replace its predecessor by becoming the successor. the novelty quickly wears off! 
P.S I'm happy with my 535s because I know that 99.9 percent out there have crappy audio set up. therefore it makes me feel better.

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #2,204 of 3,218
I could not disagree with you more. I upgraded from the 535 to the 846 and while I still like the 535 it is not even in the same conversation. I have said this before, the 535 is a beautiful house with no basement, a lousy paint job and its roof leaks. The 846 bass is deap, impactful and visceral something the 535 cannot hope to accomplish. The soundstage, clarity and PRaT are also better. To my knowledge, you are the first person who owes the 535 who does not think the 846 is a large jump in performance.

As for the length of the product cycle, considering it has been 5 years in the design, I am not worried about a new "959" for about, oh 5 years. You want to whine about product cycle go over to the JH Audio Roxanne forum. JH has a one year product cycle.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #2,205 of 3,218
The 846 has a very low impedance and is very sensitive to the specs of the source.

The 846 sounded rubbish with the iPhone 5s (extremely bright with no bass and no mid texture) and the se535 thrashes it completely.

On the right source (my ipod nano for example) the se846 is giving me thundering bass that the se535 sounded tamed in comparison.

I have received the headphonelounge silver cable and it increases the treble presence and extension and also the speed while not compromising on the rest. The se846 is becoming one of the most enjoyable iem I have in my inventory.

Only complain is that it is a little big. The se535 is more comfortable in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back