Shure SE535 + Samsung Captivate
Oct 25, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #16 of 22
Droid and apple offer different things. I chose this because it has flash for web surfing. Iphone doesn't. Also with a 32mb card i can make this a 48gb phone.

Most other features are close. Comes to personal choice but
the days of apple being alone at the top are over. That being said, apple is a great phone as well

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #17 of 22
Yeah, it's hard to go wrong between Apple, Google, and RIM. Looks like MS may be a competitor again, but personal preferences limit my interest in the platform. In order for the platform to work for me, solid multitasking is a must, and that's just the start.

The reason Android is good is because it's an option other than what Mr. Jobs gives you. Most people are perfectly happy with what he has provided, but for everyone else, the walls of the garden become apparent and start to become a hindrance.
It's also a bit harder to separate personal from business with an iPhone, primarily because everything is in one system. This is one aspect in which uniformity is a double edged sword. With my Nexus One, I have one app designed for churning through mail, which works well for my IMAP uses, for my business. I have Gmail for personal. Each is catered differently, and each does what they do well.

I can install a new kernel on my phone that undervolts the processor and gives me 50% more battery life for average use. No performance hit, just increased battery life. And no, this doesn't risk damaging my phone, since it's undervolting rather than overvolting (which one could also do if they really wanted to). I have a widget on my home screen that with a simple tap enables the flash on the back of my phone for use as a quite powerful flashlight. It's things like this that are more so handy than purely functional. But, the biggest thing to me is not that it be pretty or gadgety, but that it be functional. It's not dumbed down. It's still fairly visually attractive, though not to the iPhone's degree, but what appeals to me is that it does not limit you as much. After a while, with an iOS device, the OS gets a bit boring after a while. You can't play with things like Swype (google it if you haven't seen it before, this is the future of touch keyboards) or totally and seamlessly switch out your text messaging app for another one. What Jobs says is for you is what you get. And to be completely honest, I'd be happy with an iPhone too, sans the whole glass idea (who thought glass on the back too was a good idea?) and that the iPhone 4 wasn't exactly a feat of engineering aside the looks.

In short, both are very competent, but it's mostly if you like a bit of freedom and what your uses are that says which you would be best suited to. I like my phone to be my phone, not just like everyone else's. I have the 1st gen iPod Touch and have seen every firmware up from 1.0 to 3.2.2 and have seen iOS 4 on my sister's newer Touch, so I do have experience with the iPhone OS. Much more than with Android, actually. It does the job and makes doing the job easy, but if you want to bend the definition of the job to something new, you'll have to wait until Uncle Steve says it's OK. iOS is more linear, which is good to some, and not as good to others.

So, if you don't already know what you would best want, I suggest you go to the nearest couple stores and test out both an iPhone and a newer Droid. I haven't even mentioned that Android comes on many different devices since I'm talking more about the platform, but there are many choices. Just don't go to an AT&T store looking for a decent Droid - they don't have many.

Sorry about the tangent, I just wanted to share my experience coming from both sides.

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #19 of 22

Quote:
Hmm well it works for me, although it doesn't read my FLAC tags so I'm encoding everything to 320kbs which.... IMO is something I should do now since I'm going the portable route . 

Any benefits of using the MxZing app?

I used to have the same issue with my phone not reading the FLAC tags (I also have a Samsung i9000 which is the international version). Just download mp3tag for your computer and make sure the tags are correct. It solved my problems with FLAC tags.
Any of you play your music without any EQ? I don't really know what to think of the phone's audio quality. Apparently it's been improved with the new firmwares.

And yes, android FTW, love the openness of this OS. The root EQ possibility alone is amazing

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #20 of 22

Quote:

I used to have the same issue with my phone not reading the FLAC tags (I also have a Samsung i9000 which is the international version). Just download mp3tag for your computer and make sure the tags are correct. It solved my problems with FLAC tags.
Any of you play your music without any EQ? I don't really know what to think of the phone's audio quality. Apparently it's been improved with the new firmwares.

And yes, android FTW, love the openness of this OS. The root EQ possibility alone is amazing

Yea I use EQ now all the time to get my stuff as close as I can to either realism or just pure enjoyment. 
But yea I thought the i9000's SQ wasn't that bad; I'm being forced to use it now since I'm trying to sell my 4G Touch. 

Oct 26, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #21 of 22
Could you share your eq settings? I'd like to hear the difference between no eq and "good" eq settings. I'm always afraid to use eq on these devices, first because I can't set it properly, and also because afraid it will distort the quality.

Oct 26, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #22 of 22

Quote:
Could you share your eq settings? I'd like to hear the difference between no eq and "good" eq settings. I'm always afraid to use eq on these devices, first because I can't set it properly, and also because afraid it will distort the quality.

A general tip is to turn down the preamp more than the max increase of any frequency range. Example: you add a 4db boost to the 1khz band, to avoid distortion you should therefore lower the preamp volume 4db.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back