Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #2,476 of 4,022
I have been volunteering some time on an independent film being produced here in Chicago. The scene last week took place on a racquetball court (well, squash actually) and was a serious challenge. However, I knew my SE535's would come in handy with their excellent isolation and detail. (the recordings came out excellent) (More behind the scenes photography (by yours truly) here: http://www.bootthepigeon.com/media)

The SE535 in action on set:

I love my 535s!!

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #2,477 of 4,022
Small review on SE535 Red vs TF10 please

Here you go before i brought my 535 i own Ck10 and TF10 And X10 yes all the 10 lol
All one years and above Sound Se535→ Ck10→TF10→X10 Reason TF10 Vocal Is very Far for me even 2BA Ck10 win them on vocal and comfortable Se535 hard the BEST vocal and mids among the three of them Sound Se535 9/10 Ck10 8.5/10 TF10 7.5/10 X10 7/10
Comfortable Ck10→SE535→X10→TF10 TF10 is the most uncomfortable IEM I have ever used no joke very uncomfortable i usually use it's at home to listen If you plan to use thm mostly at home, TF10 gives comparable SQ at a good price, but if you plan on using them on the go they might drive you Really crazy! Plus they stick out and make you loook silly:)

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #2,479 of 4,022
Quote:
How do you guys think these compare to Westone 3/4's, MTPC's and UE 900's? :)

I haven't heard the special red 535, but the se535 compared to the 4R is an interesting comparison.  I find the westone is smoother from top to bottom in terms of frequencies.  I wouldn't call either of them flat or neutral, but if I had to choose I'd say the 4r is more flat sounding by default, but also more dull sounding.  The 535 is more vibrant sounding, but ironically dull in it's own way due to the treble roll off.

The 535 is still more interesting sounding by default though, but the highs ruin it for more in comparison to the 4r.  They beat lesser phones though in overall quality.  With no modification the 535 bass is beefier a bit than the 4r with more warm body.  The 4r has more smooth bass transition, but it is lower in level and more masked in the mid bass.

I don't like giving impressions on something I haven't heard, but if the red 535 really bought the treble up a lot on the high end, more like high treble, I think they might beat out the 4r at least in terms of enjoyment for me personally, but I think it would have to be substantial.  The high treble would need to be almost four times what it is or something like that.  A small boost in high treble still probably wouldn't cut it for me.  If it is a significant boost that's another story.  Then I would still call the 4r smoother overall, but less vibrant, energetic and musical.

Unfortunately, I'm always looking for neutrality.  In this case, neither of them are really that neutral in the truest sense of the word.  If you bring eq into the equation I think the 4R handles that better.  The 4r can be brought to sound extremely neutral with eq.  Again, I can't speak for the red 535, but the standard se535 just didn't match the same level of neutrality with eq that i am able to achieve with the 4r.  I think this is partly due to the fact that the 4r by default reproduces more frequencies overall, so it has less to make up for.  It is also smoother overall, so eq adjustments make better results.  Finally, eq aside, there is nothing you can "eq" to change certain aspects of each of their sounds, and in that case the 4r sounds more "true" to sound to my ears.  Again, this is EQ'd though.  Without eq the 535 "would" be better with a substantial high treble increase.  Otherwise, I prefer the 4r, even without eq.

Not sure if that helps.  Maybe someone can post graphs and in depth details about the difference between treble in the two 535 models?

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #2,480 of 4,022
Quote:
How do you guys think these compare to Westone 3/4's, MTPC's and UE 900's? :)

I've enjoyed my 535 for years but its sound, sound-stage, and tone can be chameleon-like depending on source, tip selection/placement, and (IMO) the type of adapter (connecting to the source). When everything is right (including software player selection and EQ settings), the 535 is the best most “musical” IEM I've heard for the music genres I enjoy. Admittedly, I haven't heard a lot of IEMs.

In my 2-week audition of the UE900, I found it much easier to obtain a good balanced sound (essentially plug-n-play with no extra connectors needed). It has nice timbre and sounded good with all my portable players and phones.

I didn't like the MTPC in my brief 10 minute audition. If I recall correctly, it had a V-shaped sound (which I do like), however, it was cold and thin (vocals lacked body). But again, I heard them for only 10 minutes a while back. Best Buy has the Tribunes (Copper, Gold, and Miles Davis) available for easy audition.

I don't know anything about the Westone's..

Bottom line, and without knowing your source or genre preferences, I'd recommend the UE900. If I'd had more time with the UE900, I believe I could have fashioned a tip that would've both increased the bass presence whilst providing the isolation I need for my particular work noise environment (i.e. the truck).

You should read the UE900 thread discussing problems users have encountered with durability (etc) to see if,  or how,  it was resolved.

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #2,481 of 4,022
I haven't heard the special red 535, but the se535 compared to the 4R is an interesting comparison.  I find the westone is smoother from top to bottom in terms of frequencies.  I wouldn't call either of them flat or neutral, but if I had to choose I'd say the 4r is more flat sounding by default, but also more dull sounding.  The 535 is more vibrant sounding, but ironically dull in it's own way due to the treble roll off.

The 535 is still more interesting sounding by default though, but the highs ruin it for more in comparison to the 4r.  They beat lesser phones though in overall quality.  With no modification the 535 bass is beefier a bit than the 4r with more warm body.  The 4r has more smooth bass transition, but it is lower in level and more masked in the mid bass.

I don't like giving impressions on something I haven't heard, but if the red 535 really bought the treble up a lot on the high end, more like high treble, I think they might beat out the 4r at least in terms of enjoyment for me personally, but I think it would have to be substantial.  The high treble would need to be almost four times what it is or something like that.  A small boost in high treble still probably wouldn't cut it for me.  If it is a significant boost that's another story.  Then I would still call the 4r smoother overall, but less vibrant, energetic and musical.

Unfortunately, I'm always looking for neutrality.  In this case, neither of them are really that neutral in the truest sense of the word.  If you bring eq into the equation I think the 4R handles that better.  The 4r can be brought to sound extremely neutral with eq.  Again, I can't speak for the red 535, but the standard se535 just didn't match the same level of neutrality with eq that i am able to achieve with the 4r.  I think this is partly due to the fact that the 4r by default reproduces more frequencies overall, so it has less to make up for.  It is also smoother overall, so eq adjustments make better results.  Finally, eq aside, there is nothing you can "eq" to change certain aspects of each of their sounds, and in that case the 4r sounds more "true" to sound to my ears.  Again, this is EQ'd though.  Without eq the 535 "would" be better with a substantial high treble increase.  Otherwise, I prefer the 4r, even without eq.

Not sure if that helps.  Maybe someone can post graphs and in depth details about the difference between treble in the two 535 models?

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #2,482 of 4,022
I have listened to both the Westone 4r (for a week before returning them) and the Shure 535 Special Edition. I would agree that the Westone's are neutral and veiled even with an amp. The Shure's to me were more musical and pleasant to listen. I listen to mostly prog rock from the 70s (Genesis, King Crimson) and the Shure's make the music truly soar.

My one caution is the Shure's are absolutely tip dependent to get the right sound. My solution is to use the Comply tips that give the best fit and comfort. I tried them all before finding one that fit. The Westone's because they have a shorter nozzle are far easier to get a good fit.

I would summarize it as neutrality and balance (Westone) are not necessarily beautiful and the Shure's to me are extraordinary.

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #2,484 of 4,022
Luis I feel your pain. When I upgraded to my Shure's I had to replace my entire lousy 256 bit rate music. Which Crimson album is your favorite?  I would have to say a tie between In The Court of The Crimson King and Red. Although, Wetton has a better voice than Greg Lake and I admit to loving ELP. 

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #2,485 of 4,022
Quote:
Luis I feel your pain. When I upgraded to my Shure's I had to replace my entire lousy 256 bit rate music. Which Crimson album is your favorite?  I would have to say a tie between In The Court of The Crimson King and Red. Although, Wetton has a better voice than Greg Lake and I admit to loving ELP. 

I love ELP.  My favorite is probably Court of the Crimson King with Lizard coming in second, Red third.  Wake of Poseidon is pretty awesome though.  Take a pebble is an amazing ELP song. :wink:  Yeah I find nicer IEMs actually make lower bitrate more noticeable. :-/

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #2,488 of 4,022
As for fit my advice is to check out Comply Form tips. In my opinion they are a lot more comfortable as well as provide the best seal for enjoying the bass. Here is their website http://www.complyfoam.com/ but you can also get them from Amazon. 

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #2,489 of 4,022
As for fit my advice is to check out Comply Form tips. In my opinion they are a lot more comfortable as well as provide the best seal for enjoying the bass. Here is their website http://www.complyfoam.com/ but you can also get them from Amazon. 

I used Comply's tip with the TripleFi and that was the easier way to wear them. :D

I'm now waiting for a seller's reply. I had previously take a look at the Ue700 and Vsonic HR07. These cost only 120 € but for what I read in the reviews are not in the same leagues of the 535.. I need the Best :D

Inviato dal mio GT-N7100 con Tapatalk 2

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #2,490 of 4,022
My 535 arrived this morning. SQ and Fit are like 10x better than Triple Fi. Anyway the right driver has some issue and is not properly working. I think there's some connecting problem with the cable. When I turn my head or rotate the driver on itself the sound stops. I'm very unlucky with IEMs.

I have called the vendor and I'll get a full refound. On monday I'll ship them back... 
redface.gif

The problem is that after hearing theese I can't get onother in ear headphones. I want Shure

I've discovered that is the cable that is fault. Now I've asked a new one to the seller's and we should proceed in this way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back