Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Jul 30, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #571 of 4,022
Hearing aid with wires!!!

On a side note, I thought the medium Olives were nice....
The Large Olives which I tried today for the hell of it = PERFECT SEAL OMG.... 

I was just listening to Muse, Butterflies and Hurricanes and I noticed voices other than that of the lead singer Matthew Bellany ....

This is the first time I've heard the other two singer in unison and actually hearing their voices clearly.. 

IMPRESSIVE 
L3000.gif

Jul 30, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #573 of 4,022

Quote:
Ok here goes initial impression. Keep in mind, I've had the se530s for a couple years, and really loved them. I've been using a trimmed triple flange (I trimmed the smallest flange off and part of the stalk) and isolation is great, so I just moved those tips over to the 535s. Just like on the se530s, it takes a TON of force to get the pieces off the nozzle, but I was able to do it without breaking it. Easy does it...
On another note, I was actually disappointed when the fedex guy came, because he ONLY had the se535s and not the custom tips I'm waiting for (they are made by westone, so they are probably the ones linked to in the above posts). It's been two weeks (I had the impressions done two Fridays ago) and I was told it should be only two weeks, so I'm a bit disappointed about that. Hopefully fedex doesn't deliver them like I was told, and instead the USPS guy shows up with them in the next couple of minutes.
With all that out of the way, my initial impressions of the se535s are very good. The construction is VERY solid, even compared to the se530s which I thought were themselves pretty solid. The cables look indestructible, and the clear housings are so sexy I can't wait to walk outside with them :wink:
The fit is (if possible) even better than the 530s for me. They rest so close to the ear that I will find them even more comfortable to sleep with than the 530s.
On to the sound...
Obviously, these are the se535s, so they sound VERY similar to the 530s. One thing I noticed is they seem to be a tad quieter than the se530s. I could be imagining things, but that's what I hear. This is not a problem, as the 530s and the 535s can go louder than just about anything I've ever used. I'm not what you would call an audiophile, so I'm not sure I quite understand the meaning of words like "sibilance" and "rolled off highs." What I will say is that on the 530s, the highs sometimes seemed a bit harsh (the clashing of cymbals, for example, sometimes seemed overstated and kind of annoyed me). On the 535s, I don't hear that as much. To me, the 535s are a nicely souped up version of the 530s, and I do not (yet) regret purchasing them; I doubt I ever will. My 530s will have to find a new home (I will help them out of course!)

EDIT: Don't they just look so happy in my ears?

ATTENTION TO DETAIL:

Do you see the blue designation for the left earpiece?  That is NOT painted on the outside housing/cable connector.  It is completely internal inside the cable connection/housing.  Very nice touch....and virtually unblemishable.  Totally what I expect from a $400 IEM.

Jul 30, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #575 of 4,022
I'm absolutely in love with the 535s, especially when you consider that I spent about $300 on them, so I will basically be almost even after I sell my 530s. I am a happy camper (and will be even happier when my custom tips arrive).

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #577 of 4,022

Quote:
I'm absolutely in love with the 535s, especially when you consider that I spent about $300 on them, so I will basically be almost even after I sell my 530s. I am a happy camper (and will be even happier when my custom tips arrive).

Sounds like you and MKang25 will become (if you're not already) rabid SE535 devotees. Wonderful news.

Yes, they are great to look at and listen to. I look around the gym (where 99% of occupants are wired-up) and see no one with anything in their ears that I would consider passable. Most are cheapo iPod-type buds. Easy in, easy out, not really for listening to.
Today I was in the ZONE! I had the 535's in (actually I've seen some look at them as if they are from Mars or hearing aids) and I was rocking out. It was a great workout and I can't help but attribute some of the energy I had to the great sound... 

And yes, the Shure Large Olives have made it all possible so far. Great sound and seal. Not as good at isolation as the P-types, but close enough for most things.

Yes, when the well-recorded and mastered Chris Thile comes on, it's like he and his group are standing around me playing. The realism of these cans is impressive. Old tracks I haven't heard for a while are like new again. Newer tracks are heard as if for the first time. As MKang said... "This is the first time I've heard... ".

Yes. 
ksc75smile.gif

shane

Aug 2, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #578 of 4,022

Quote:

Note that Sensaphonics makes a custom sleeve for the 530, and I suspect the 535 would fit (I've shoved a variety of different Shure models in mine).

-john

Not true, ccfoodog. The new Shure SE535 and SE425 will not fit your old sleeves. The new models have a different design in terms of nozzle size, shape and angle.

The good news is that the new Sensaphonics sleeves are both more secure and much lower in profile.

Aug 2, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #580 of 4,022

Quote:
JackKontney said:

Not true, ccfoodog. The new Shure SE535 and SE425 will not fit your old sleeves. The new models have a different design in terms of nozzle size, shape and angle.  
The good news is that the new Sensaphonics sleeves are both more secure and much lower in profile.

So the current Sensaphonics "530" custom sleeves fit? 

Thanks,

-john

Aug 2, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #582 of 4,022

Quote:

You have to divulge where. :p

If that sort of thing is allowed here.

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #583 of 4,022
I already did. It was the almighty bay. And yes, they are real. Fakes, if they ever come out, never come out this shortly after the release of a product, especially one with the design sophistication of the SE535s.

Aug 3, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #584 of 4,022

Users who are viewing this thread

Back