Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Jun 28, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #331 of 4,022

Quote:

(been quiet here not trying to get caught up in FOTM/new toy syndrome....but after 3 weeks with these)

Slightly brighter than SE530 but generally speaking as an IEM, not really dark and not really bright.  Just about perfect.  To borrow a cliche'....everything sounds just about right with these.  It is very enjoyable to hear a full sounding multi-driver IEM with no bass hump or bloat anywhere.  Yet when called upon, the bass is certainly there and it has impact not just body.  Just sort of sounds natural and effortless.  You are never pushing these to the limit, even ampless.  With jazz, rock, acoustic and vocal music I can't say enough about them.

While I can't do a side by side with SE530, to me the soundstage is the largest SQ improvement (very far left and right stage presense), then the treble.  Not so sure the treble is more extended but there seems to be an added clarity.  Again, without doing a side by side.

My W3's are collecting dust in their case.  I use to think the W3's were like an IEM on steriods but I DID get use to it and really loved them over time.  After 3 weeks with SE535, it just sounds more natural and correct (lifelike).

Agreed. Except I have listened to my Westone 3s over the past few days and I still really like them. They are great complimentary IEMs: balanced and fun!

Jun 28, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #332 of 4,022

Quote:
So the soundstage is improved but how about Imaging?

Not being a musician I am not sure how qualified I would be to define but certainly imaging of the vocals are the best I have ever heard.  The stereo spatial separation is VERY wide, and probably more horizontal than vertical.  Imaging and placement of each instrument(s) is not as insane as UM3X that was almost a distraction.  SE535 is more about the music as a whole rather than the sum of it's parts (like UM3X).

Jun 28, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #335 of 4,022
Quick note FYI: The SE535 and SE425 can be converted to custom fit through Sensaphonics.

Sensaphonics worked with Shure at the product design stage to create a more secure and less bulky sleeve, made of course from soft-gel silicone to ensure a full and persistent seal, better isolation, and a more comfortable listening experience.

Full disclosure: Sensaphonics is a client of mine.

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #336 of 4,022

Quote:
Thanks for the Ibasso d10 suggestion...I think I am gonna grab one of those. ..Just one more thing, where can I purchase lossless format songs?

Are you really about to make that purchase? Why would you go and spend that money on an amp just because someone here recommended it? That's definitely not the way to get new equipment.

If you're going to get an amp you should definitely read up on amps and see what's right for you. 

Jun 28, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #338 of 4,022

Quote:
Are you really about to make that purchase? Why would you go and spend that money on an amp just because someone here recommended it? That's definitely not the way to get new equipment.

If you're going to get an amp you should definitely read up on amps and see what's right for you. 

For the price though, it is hard to bead. I've owned the RSA Hornet ($385), Total Bithead ($160), uDac ($109), Icon Mobile ($99), and I've heard the RSA Predator and D4 and honestly I like the D10 the best.

But as you said, you should use our advice as a starting point and let your "ears close the deal".

P.S. the avatar change is because I (or rather the Blue Jays) lost a bet with baka1969.
biggrin.gif
So for a week, I guess I'm a Phillies fan. I still do like Roy Holiday...

Jun 29, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #339 of 4,022
Just a little more comparison between SE535 and W3 (which I pulled out today for a few tracks).

Yes, I still like W3 but after SE535 non-stop for almost 3 weeks, W3 sounds like there is a hole in the center of the frequency response (recessed midrange).   Probably also due to how bassy and trebly the W3 is.  For reference, with my Nano I was using "treble booster" setting with W3 which still pumped out tons of bass.  With SE535 I am using the "rock" setting and it is about equal amount of bass but you getting tons more lush midrange while treble is still about 85-90% of the W3 and equal size soundstage.  I really think the 535 is a more honest and accurate presentation to the music while still being plenty engaging and fun.

Jun 30, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #342 of 4,022
I have both the SE530 and SE535. They do sound very similar: if you don’t like the 530, I doubt that you will like the 535. Others have commented on the improved build quality, and I agree: because of the swivelling cable attachment, smaller size and memory wire over the ear, I find the 535 more comfortable than the 530. Changing the tips on the 530 makes more difference to the treble than changing to the 535 with the same tips as far as I can tell. I like the triple flange converted to a double flange with its stem shortened - it seems to elevate the treble slightly on both 530 and 535.

On the rest of the sound: to my ears they sound very similar to their predecessor – perhaps a touch more airy and slightly better treble. The lush mid-range is still there, when present in the recording, the bass is solid, deep and without a trace of boom; the treble has sparkle without being grating. They sound balanced.

Different peoples’ ears seem to work differently, of course: for example, I find on the re0, the treble that causes others to wax lyrical not that well extended and somewhat edgy and  metallic in the lower treble region – I prefer the much maligned treble of the SE530 and now the ever so slightly improved 535.

I've been listening to them from a Jolida 100A tube CD player/MAD HD200 and straight out of an ipod touch. Classical and Jazz, mostly.

Jul 1, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #343 of 4,022
Based on what I'm reading so far, it does appear that the SE535 is an incremental improvement over the SE530. I'd be interested in this phone if I didn't already own the SE530. However, the SM3 interests me more as a potential upgrade from the SE530.

The SM3, UM3X and W3 all have separate tweeter, mid-range and bass balanced armatures. Whereas the SE530 has a tweeter and dual bass balanced armatures. I assume that the SE535 is still utilising this configuration.

That suggests to me that the SM3, UM3X and W3 should all have the edge over the SE535 in instrument separation at least.  

Jul 1, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #344 of 4,022
W3 does not have an edge in instrument separation, if anything the SE535 has better instrument separation due to a much improved midrange.    While W3 utilizes separate armatures for bass, mid and treble, it might as well be a dual bass with a treble armature set-up because the midrange is still quite lacking. 

UM3X certainly has better instrument separation but I would take the musicality of SE535 over UM3X in a heartbeat (haven't heard SM3).  UM3X is VERY closed in sounding, almost congested where SE535 is much more airy, open and natural sounding.

I fully agree with Mr Toad's comments 2 posts above that: (On the rest of the sound: to my ears they sound very similar to their predecessor – perhaps a touch more airy and slightly better treble. The lush mid-range is still there, when present in the recording, the bass is solid, deep and without a trace of boom; the treble has sparkle without being grating. They sound balanced.)

I will just add that for some people, you may have a double whammy improvement in SQ due to an easier/improved fit with SE535 in addition to the internal tweaks Shure did to the IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back