Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #3,706 of 4,022
  Just wanted to report back on SE215 vs SE535.

Initially I found the SE215 to sound more 'correct' through the mids and highs and the SE535 to sound 'off' somehow, albeit a lot clearer.

Having used the SE535 now for weeks exclusively, and tried briefly switching back to the SE215, I found the SE215 to sound 'off'. Spiky frequencies and slightly hollow mids, comparatively speaking, although still excellent excellent earphones for their price point. I actually found going to back to Shure black foam tips gave me more treble, perhaps because of the wider gap, and addressed so some of my earlier gripes. Took a long long time for my ears to accept the SE535 though.

Waiting to see the new dragonfly DAC specs, to see if it might be a good choice to up the level again. Then I'm already dreaming of SE846 or CIEMs.

I do find the SE535 sound so different to full size headphones, not just the expected IEM vs full-size differences, it's just a totally different sound. For instance SE535 vs first gen. over-ear momentums. I'm still not sure which one is 'correct'.

I found my Se535's really leveled up with a silver cable. Was well worth the money to me.

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #3,708 of 4,022
Hey guys, I came across a few different pairs of restored 535's on a popular auction site. The price is around £120 refurbished with little extra accessories but does have a 30 day money back guarantee. Thiughts?

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #3,710 of 4,022
Hey guys, I came across a few different pairs of restored 535's on a popular auction site. The price is around £120 refurbished with little extra accessories but does have a 30 day money back guarantee. Thiughts?

If things seem to be too good to be true they usually are.  If they have a good no questions asked refund then it might be worth a shot.  If you do get them post your thoughts on here and let us know. 

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #3,711 of 4,022
If things seem to be too good to be true they usually are.  If they have a good no questions asked refund then it might be worth a shot.  If you do get them post your thoughts on here and let us know. 
problem being I've never heard the se535 lol. Im looking for a huge upgrade to my sony mdr ex650 buds. Im looking at the se846 but the price I came across on the 535 makes me curious. I have no experience with shure but a few people have messaged me to say the 846 is superb, especially for my rock and hip hop playlists i would use them with. Genuine end game material to my ex650's

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #3,712 of 4,022
I need some trusted opinions. I am currently trying to choose between between the RHA T20i, the SE425s and SE535. I've not been able to find any real direct comparisons, on Head-Fi or elsewhere, I can only imagine that is due to the age gap between the products or that I missing something and they're in a different class altogether. Now the other important bit is that I have a lovely price available to me with the Shure gear, bringing it down in price quite significantly. 

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions? I really don't know. From an audio quality standpoint the 425/535s seem to be the better pick, but the build quality and kit of the RHA wins out. I will be listening from both my phone and computer to a range of range and podcasts, and currently have a (somewhat ancient I guess) Fiio E01 that I will occasionally use, but otherwise it's just through line out. 

Thanks in advance guys

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #3,713 of 4,022
What tips are everyone using? I have the small gray silicone right now, and my right ear hurts after a period of time.

Mar 29, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #3,715 of 4,022
£120 for SE535 seems too cheap.

Demoed  SE315/425/535 one after the other very very briefly.I thought the SE315 sounds quite good, if a bit bass light. SE425 didn't notice much difference to SE315. SE535 was WOW moment, huge jump.

Mar 29, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #3,716 of 4,022
A bit like those old midi hifi systems that came with some kind of sound dynamic boost button under various names that was basically meant to be left permanently on, otherwise the music sounded flat and lifeless. SE425 to 535 was like turning on that button.

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #3,717 of 4,022
  I need some trusted opinions. I am currently trying to choose between between the RHA T20i, the SE425s and SE535. I've not been able to find any real direct comparisons, on Head-Fi or elsewhere, I can only imagine that is due to the age gap between the products or that I missing something and they're in a different class altogether. Now the other important bit is that I have a lovely price available to me with the Shure gear, bringing it down in price quite significantly. 

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions? I really don't know. From an audio quality standpoint the 425/535s seem to be the better pick, but the build quality and kit of the RHA wins out. I will be listening from both my phone and computer to a range of range and podcasts, and currently have a (somewhat ancient I guess) Fiio E01 that I will occasionally use, but otherwise it's just through line out. 

Thanks in advance guys

I'd choose the RHA in a heartbeat. They feel very sturdy and are a much better bang for the buck than the SE425/535, which I've both owned (and eventually returned). The T20 is much more musical, coherent and natural sounding IMHO. 

Mar 31, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #3,718 of 4,022

Thanks in advance guys

I haven't tried the RHA T20i, but I've owned the RHA MA750i and enjoyed it. I replaced it with the SE425, which I liked better, although they sounded a little thin in the mid to upper bass. After a year with the 425 I got the 535 which really put the meat back on the bones. If you can afford them, the 535 are the way to go.

Mar 31, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #3,719 of 4,022

Thanks in advance guys

IMO, the RHA T20 easily beats out either of the Shures for sound quality.   The T20 has much more impactful sub-bass, better mid-range detail and much better treble extension and definition.  Its overall resolution is much better and is a much more detailed IEM, while still being very comfortable and non-fatiguing.  IMO, even the RHA 750 beats either of the Shures pretty easily.

Mar 31, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #3,720 of 4,022
  IMO, the RHA T20 easily beats out either of the Shures for sound quality.   The T20 has much more impactful sub-bass, better mid-range detail and much better treble extension and definition.  Its overall resolution is much better and is a much more detailed IEM, while still being very comfortable and non-fatiguing.  IMO, even the RHA 750 beats either of the Shures pretty easily.

Regarding the 750 being better than the 425 or 535, we are all entitled to our opinions, but owning all three I can state categorically that I heartily disagree.  The 750s sound soft, ill-defined, and boomy next to either of the Shures.  Actually it was the over-emphasis of the bass that eventually drove me from the RHA to the Shures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back