Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Nov 17, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #3,286 of 4,022
  How is the build quality, especially the cable quality

I own a few pairs of Shures and the cables are very durable. There's more than adequate strain relief and the cable itself is very supple; not prone to kinks at all. Someone people might not like the bit of memory wire that's near the earpiece, but I like them. They're short enough where they won't get in the way. The earpieces are made from plastic, but I haven't had any issues with them.

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #3,287 of 4,022
  I own a few pairs of Shures and the cables are very durable. There's more than adequate strain relief and the cable itself is very supple; not prone to kinks at all. Someone people might not like the bit of memory wire that's near the earpiece, but I like them. They're short enough where they won't get in the way. The earpieces are made from plastic, but I haven't had any issues with them.

Do the cables usually crack, I read the only problem with the shures are the cables that they usually crack and need to be replaced after about a year of use.

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #3,288 of 4,022
  Do the cables usually crack, I read the only problem with the shures are the cables that they usually crack and need to be replaced after about a year of use.

I've never had a cracked cable, but my I like to alternate between IEMs, so my Shures don't see as much use as the average person's. However, if the cable cracks within the first 2 years of ownership, you could just call Shure and they'll dispatch you a fresh cable. Shure's customer service is impeccable, so you won't have much to worry. 

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #3,289 of 4,022
  I've never had a cracked cable, but my I like to alternate between IEMs, so my Shures don't see as much use as the average person's. However, if the cable cracks within the first 2 years of ownership, you could just call Shure and they'll dispatch you a fresh cable. Shure's customer service is impeccable, so you won't have much to worry. 

Thanks

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #3,290 of 4,022

I've got Shure IEMs that are almost five years old, and the cables are just beginning to crack now. At the least the newer models have replaceable cables. The older one have fixed cables. When they break, you throw them away.

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #3,292 of 4,022
  Anyone know of a full size headphone that sounds similar to the 535?

Wow, thats a hard question... 

I can't think of any headphone that can sound like a IEM... ummm... 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #3,298 of 4,022
I purchased a set of these used here recently for a very good price and was really turned off by the sound. Fortunately I realized the filters could be replaced and that really fixed everything. Visually, the old filters looked fine, but the sound I was getting was imbalanced, strident and harsh. With new filters in there they once again sound great - so for anyone who has been using these heavily for some time, consider replacing the filters!

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #3,299 of 4,022
I purchased a set of these used here recently for a very good price and was really turned off by the sound. Fortunately I realized the filters could be replaced and that really fixed everything. Visually, the old filters looked fine, but the sound I was getting was imbalanced, strident and harsh. With new filters in there they once again sound great - so for anyone who has been using these heavily for some time, consider replacing the filters!

What is the color of filters that you use ? There is different colors with different acoustic resistance

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #3,300 of 4,022
What is the color of filters that you use ? There is different colors with different acoustic resistance

I purchased grey brown and white. I have not listened extensively, but I'm currently somewhere between white (stock-ish) and brown for my preference. I will likely choose to keep the SE846's over these after initial comparisons, but at least changing the filters put the 535's back in the running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back