Shure SE535 or Sennheiser IE8?
Jan 4, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:
What are examples of micro detail? Just asking though. Mind is pretty set on the ie80's. Btw, how much did you get your ie80's for?

To be honest, I couldn't tell you much about micro detail - none of my headphones offer that sort of resolution or imaging. I did get a chance to hear the SM3 v2 and SE535, and both were very capable at reproducing tiny details. Some examples might include fingers sliding off guitar strings and audience members chatting quietly in a live recording, which a lot of earphones don't pick up.

I got my IE80s for $270 from amazon.de, and had them shipped over to me by a friend: http://www.amazon.de/Sennheiser-504771-IE-80-In-Ear-Kopfh%C3%B6rer/dp/B005N8W27I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357314211&sr=8-1
I can verify this seller is genuine as I used the official Sennheiser warranty on them to replace the cable (although the receipt was in German, it had the info they needed :p). For 2 years of protection, it's worth going with an authorised dealer such as Amazon.

I think you will enjoy the IE80s. They are a very versatile IEM, and I really like mine.

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #18 of 25
I just wanna ask you...does the midrange seem recessed at all in the i80? It's one of those things that I can't stand. Like I'm listening to music through a sponge or something. If it's like that, I think I'm gonna go with the shures.

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #19 of 25
Deeman not to through a spanner in the works, but have you tried the xba4.

I have a very good friend at sennheiser and I love there stuff, my main pairs at the moment are sennheiser momentums and amperiors, I also have a pair of IE8i the ip variant of the IE80, and I,ll be honest my jury is still out in the IE8i, I'm still trying differing tips and playing with the screw to make more bass,

My main pair of IEMs the sony MDR EX1000 are a lot better at the moment, but that my opinion and I'm no expert, but they just sound good in all areas, the mids on the IE8i sound weird, the bass is good when I'm sat still in the bedroom, but if I use them to walk the dog I tend to be messing with them more than listening.
I can't vouch for the shures as I only have shure 840 cans none of the IEMs.

I've always wanted some xba4 but have yet to buy any, hope you like what you get anyway. Just my view above anyway, jury is still out on the IEMs not exciting as it was when I used the sonys, you can still get the 1000s if you hunt about.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #20 of 25
Heyy. ..littleted, nice meeting you. Actually, I wanted to get the xba 4 at first. After reading tons of reviews, I decided not to go with that decision. Where I am in through world, I can't really audition any iems so the best I can do is read reviews.

That's why I set this thread up, I was hoping people could describe to me the sound of the respective iems. (How it sounds to your ears, sound is subjective).

I was thinking of getting the ex1000, but I only have 400 dollars to play with( where I come from its about RM1200)so those are out of my league. (However much I want them)

Are the mids on the ie80's recessed in anyway? I really like a sound Sig that's aggressive and bassy. So I was thinking of getting the shures and maybe eq it to be a little more bassy. I heard they respond well to eqing. maybe you could tell me if, with a little bI of eq'ing, if the mid end of the ie80's could be sorted out without sacrificing the bass.

And if the ie80's respond well to eq'ing in general.

Thanks. :)
Deeman.

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #21 of 25
If you really cannot demo or find an online retailer with a friendly returns policy then you probably should not get the SE535 based on your posts. It is mid-centric and with that "Shure" quality that is hard to describe until you hear Shure mids for yourself. I keep mine around purely for vocal songs if that is my mood even though over many months of owning them both have come around to the PFE 232 being technically better

For me the Shure SE535 bass is detailed and defined, but without the bass quantity of other IEM. A signature can be described but no-one will be able to provide definitives until you hear for yourself. You might be better off looking at Westone 3 based on forum reports although the mids will not be as forward as the SE535. Cannot see where you are from but earphonesolutions online have the Westone 3 a good deal cheaper than the SE535

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #23 of 25
I've had the SE535's for close to a year now, and I can tell you that if you enjoy a more mid-centric sound focused on vocals/string instruments, the SE535's do a pretty good job with them. The bass is somewhat lacking, definitely less bass than my Westone UM2's. I can't speak for the IE 8's, never tried or owned them, I can't give an accurate comparison between the two. 

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #24 of 25
More specifically from sabah. On the Bornean side of Malaysia. There are no shops here that actually sell any sort of audio monitors of the sort I'm looking for.

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #25 of 25
I don't really know...but I think they have an "n" shape sound wave or something right? Rolling off at both ends? Just checking...
If you really cannot demo or find an online retailer with a friendly returns policy then you probably should not get the SE535 based on your posts. It is mid-centric and with that "Shure" quality that is hard to describe until you hear Shure mids for yourself. I keep mine around purely for vocal songs if that is my mood even though over many months of owning them both have come around to the PFE 232 being technically better

For me the Shure SE535 bass is detailed and defined, but without the bass quantity of other IEM. A signature can be described but no-one will be able to provide definitives until you hear for yourself. You might be better off looking at Westone 3 based on forum reports although the mids will not be as forward as the SE535. Cannot see where you are from but earphonesolutions online have the Westone 3 a good deal cheaper than the SE535

Users who are viewing this thread

Back