Shure SE530/SE535 Owners: A few tidbits/hacks that are worth knowing ...
Dec 2, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #31 of 35
After reading this thread, I thought I'd give the large olives a try. But I still can't get a real good seal with them.

If I can put the whole tip in without squishing it first, is it too small?

FYI - I can easily insert my index finger into my ear and still have some wiggle room.

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #32 of 35
After reading this thread, I thought I'd give the large olives a try. But I still can't get a real good seal with them.

If I can put the whole tip in without squishing it first, is it too small?

FYI - I can easily insert my index finger into my ear and still have some wiggle room.

I would say that any foam tip has to be compressed to some degree to provide a seal.  I looked at the tips that came with my 535's and the yellow foam tips are actually smaller than the largest olives...so no help there.  I have seen a thread or two where people have purchased inexpensive memory foam ear plugs and poke a hole in the center to place over the nozzle, and claim to have gotten good results.  That may be an option if you can find some that are larger that the olives.  I use the large silicon tips or the large triple flange (with the smallest flange removed) for my 535's.  The seal is good on both and they are easier to put in.

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #33 of 35

I had the same experience with my 535's.  Got them just this past week.  I put them in a ziplock sandwich bag, and into the deep freeze next to the Breyer's...I couldn't bring myself to omit the bag.  I took them out after 5 minutes but it wasn't enough.  Put them back for 10 minutes, and presto, the tips slide off like greased pigs.  I have changed tips a half dozen times in the past week after trying each type that came with the 535's + Comply's + Westone star.  Haven't had any difficulty removing any tips since the OTB tips were to be removed.  Gotta be magic, right?

The support chick I talked to at Shure said it had to do with the new materials from the factory going through extreme temperature changes on the way (via air transport or otherwise) to their final destination to be stocked and sold. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #34 of 35

SE530/SE535's: Want even better sound stage? Even better highs? More accurate bass?

This may just be mysticism on my part ... but I swear I can hear the difference.

Anyway, I mentioned this way back in a SE530 review post I did once. And I still find it true...

For whatever weird reason, only pushing your given "squishy" tip (olives, yellow foamies, complys, etc.) up to the notch on the nozzle, not past, yields some pretty interesting sonic results over the standard tip mounting method (IE shoving the thing all the way up to the main IEM housing):

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

Color me placebic if you like ... but oddly enough, this little bit of difference does indeed affect things noticeably.

The above pic is showing the mod with the yellow foamies but I've found the same gains to be true whether using the yellow foamies, the black olives or the complys (my only daily use tips, btw). 

The soundstage is improved/widened, the bass becomes a bit tighter, more accurate and natural (while losing a bit of it's forwardness) and best of all, the highs become much less "rolled off" ... as I mentioned in a certain SE530 review I once did, I can't explain this and nor do I care to try. 

I just dig it.

Try it. You'll like it.

smile.gif

I also found a great improvement in the high with this trick... but don't you think that this can cause some stress to nozzle when it's inserted in the ear canal? (I'm very scared by nozzle  breaking)

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #35 of 35

I also found a great improvement in the high with this trick... but don't you think that this can cause some stress to nozzle when it's inserted in the ear canal? (I'm very scared by nozzle  breaking)

No ... I don't think so at all. You might break a nozzle if tips get stuck on them and you don't freeze them to get them off (Shures direct recommendation is 10 minutes in the freezer and I've found this to be perfectly true via experience). 

But just inserting in your ear? No way ... the nozzles are pretty strong and you'd injure the flesh of your ear before injuring the nozzle.

:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back