Shure SE530 Appreciation Thread
Jul 11, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #106 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ AudioPhile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are they other universal earphones that are better than the Shure SE530's? If so please enlighten me.

As I'm sure you're finding out, it's preference and opinion. 'Better' only goes so far once you're at great quality universals level...

For some, there may not be, for others, definitely yes (speaking as one of those others). I prefer the SQ of Triple Fi 10 , Sennheiser IE8 and Westone 3 to SE530. Why? Because to my ears, 530s mids are too forward, shouty and in-your-face, plus their treble is somewhat 'hidden', shall we say....each IEM has its flaws, tho . Some you can live with, some not. No such thing as a perfect universal, in my experience (despite what UM3X lovers would say, lol!)

You'll forgive me if I don't here describe the signatures of TF10, IE8 or W3 as there are humungous threads about all three readily available. And half the joy of Head Fi lies behind the search button
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #107 of 130
Quote:

Sorry to help de-rail this thread. I'm sure the OP doesn't mind...he's banned. Anyways what will be a better route to a significant upgrade? The Westone UM3X or JH13 Pro? Are they other universal earphones that are better than the Shure SE530's? If so please enlighten me.

no there isnt any universal that is "better" but the might be ones that are more suited to you.

the jh13 ought to be better given its has 6 drivers per ear and costs a small fortune but the um3x is just a sideways step

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #108 of 130
Quote:

Sorry to help de-rail this thread. I'm sure the OP doesn't mind...he's banned. Anyways what will be a better route to a significant upgrade? The Westone UM3X or JH13 Pro? Are they other universal earphones that are better than the Shure SE530's? If so please enlighten me.

No. Like i've mentioned, and many others too. Usually when you get to this level of universal IEM's, it's all up to personal preference for the sound signature rather than the quality of the sound. Every IEM in this top-tier level has it's flaws somewhere in the frequency, and presents the sound differently rather than "Worse or Better" than each other.

So i would still say, if you're wanting to upgrade, listen to them would be the best decision on deciding. If not, think of the Um3x as neutral, the Se530 as mid forward, high pulled out a bit, with lows warmed up a bit and the Westone 3 as a "fun" dynamical sounding earphone with it's high a little higher and lows a little lower to give you that "WOW" feeling, the Sennheiser Ie8 is a one of the "Bass Kings" that have gathered together with a Super wide soundstage, while the Triple Fi is a high frequency band forward, with a brighter sound signature with a slightly "lighter" more "hollow" sounding punch in the lows. Haven't heard the Ck100 from Audio Technica, so i can't give any opinions on that.

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #109 of 130
I had the SE530's and sold them only after one month. Here's my take on them:

-- I just couldn't stand the treble, rolled off & lacking sparkle and detail.
-- Very nice mids
-- I found the bass, though present, lacked punch and didn't extend/ cover very low frequencies.

-- I found the cables and extension too thick, bulky & heavy. Be warned there are people out there STILL having cable issues (cracked cables), a problem that was apparently solved by Shure, but some (though a lot fewer) people are still reporting this problem.

-- I felt the SE530's, in general, were cheaply built & rather tacky looking.

-- I liked the zip case, and the stylish - but utterly useless - casing which is a nice looking solid metal box. Wish the IEM's themselves had a similar -though not necessarily made of metal - build quality & look.

I found Westone 3 was a better IEM than the SE530 SQ-wise, particularly in the treble and bass departments. Westone is known to probably have the best cables in the market, very light and yet very strong with ZERO microphonics. Comes with no extension (big plus for me), and the plug is L-shaped which I prefer, unlike the staight one the SE530 has. I personally found the W3 slightly more comfortable than the SE530, and much more so when standing or moving about as the cable is very VERY light. Though both the SE530's and the W3 are made of plastic, I found the design and specially the build quality to be definitely better on the W3

I then sold my W3 and got the UM3X, which I prefer over the Westone 3 re: SQ and comfort - even though the UM3X's don't have that immediate WOW factor the Westone 3's have, I soon preferred their excellent neutral, natural, and balanced sound, which makes them incredibly NON-fatiguing, an aspect that can only be matched by my custom ES3X's. The UM3X has the same cable & plug as the W3 and the fit is even more comfortable.

These atributes/ views of the UM3X -- unlike those of the SE530's & Westone 3 -- are shared by the vast majority of people who have purchased them.

The Westone 3's have a bit more bass quantity, but I prefer the UM3X which I find has EXCELLENT, punchy, yet more refined and controlled bass which CAN extend quite low.

I suggest that anybody reading my views here and has questions/ doubts, they post those questions here or on other relevant threads, but I recommend reading at least 20-30 pages first. And/ or use the search function to find relevant extra information.

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #112 of 130
Just opened my pair and they exceed anything i've ever heard before
what a great product! All hail Shure!

Jul 11, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #113 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by big_sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just opened my pair and they exceed anything i've ever heard before
what a great product! All hail Shure!

What exactly have you heard before for comparison?

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #114 of 130
I have the SE530's and I think they're an excellent IEM. I don't regard them as "cheaply built" or "tacky looking". Yes, I would have been even more impressed with them if they were fashioned from pure platinum but that would have made the purchase price prohibitive.

I think when comparing top tier universal IEMs, it really does come down to personal preference. They all do what they do very well. However, no IEM is perfect and each has its perceived shortcomings, which are well documented throughout the forum threads.

In my opinion, the differences between the sound and build quality of these phones is not as pronounced as some people posting here would have us believe. More often than not we are entering the realm of obsessive hair splitting and dare I say it, "fanboyism".

I went through the process of spending an inordinate amount of time researching IEMs here at Head-Fi and elsewhere. In the end, I narrowed my choice down to two. It wasn't an easy choice to make and I have no doubt that I would have been happy with either one, but my final decision was influenced by what was for me a significant cost saving.

As it turns out, I'm really happy with my choice. I think the SE530's are a beautiful sounding and non-fatiguing IEM. I find them comfortable to wear and the modular cable system is useful for me. I think they're a good looking IEM (as strange as this may sound). And Shure thoughtfully provides a generous selection of accessories to suit the user, which includes the all important eartips. Opening the packaging was an event and I appreciated it.

Are there things that the SE530's could do better? I'm sure there are but from what I've read in the forum threads, they're no different in this regard from every other top tier universal IEM that's currently available.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #115 of 130
I'm listening to my Shure SE530's right now and I personally think anymore increase in treble volume would introduce sibilance and sound overly crisp. I can hear a pronounced sssss from the vocals but the pronounced sssssss comes across smooth and non harsh. It comes across like they way a pronounced sssss would sound in real life. I'm really looking forward to trying the JH13 Pro because I'm hearing this has more treble volume than the Shure SE530 but still comes across smooth I gotta hear how this is possible.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #116 of 130
You don't have to try the JH13 to hear that, just try a TF10

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #117 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't have to try the JH13 to hear that, just try a TF10

I'm not too educated upon the sound signature of the TF10, how does that sound compared to the Shure SE530's?

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #118 of 130
Well if you love the forward mids of the Shure's, the TF10's will sound slightly recessed IMO, although I find them to be alright. The sound stage is bigger than the 530's, way bigger. The bass is more detailed, and has greater impact without being excessive. The treble and highs are amazingly detailed, and while some would call them harsh, the TF10s are the only earphone I have heard that really represents the Highs and Treble accurately. I think the only area where the 530's excel is the midrange, and the TF10 beats them in everything else. The 530's are a lot more comfortable, and have a little better isolation.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #119 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if you love the forward mids of the Shure's, the TF10's will sound slightly recessed IMO, although I find them to be alright. The sound stage is bigger than the 530's, way bigger. The bass is more detailed, and has greater impact without being excessive. The treble and highs are amazingly detailed, and while some would call them harsh, the TF10s are the only earphone I have heard that really represents the Highs and Treble accurately. I think the only area where the 530's excel is the midrange, and the TF10 beats them in everything else. The 530's are a lot more comfortable, and have a little better isolation.

Well great. Please don't make me regret my purchase...lol.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #120 of 130
Quote:

I'm not too educated upon the sound signature of the TF10, how does that sound compared to the Shure SE530's?

just a slight disagreement switch Scott_Tarlow on my part, i think the lows on the TF10 are more punchy but "hollow" sounding, and not solid enough. I would say that highs the Tf10 win on Detail and crispness, the Se530 wins on the midrange, and Lows depends on what you want a warm sounding low from the SE530 or the more punchy but hollow sounding one on the TF10. Overall, the Tf10 is brighter than the Se530. I personally am not a big fan of the TF10's sound, but many swear buy it. I'm more of a Westone guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back