Shure se425 still relevant? Looking for a neutral IEM under 300
May 10, 2018 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

New Head-Fier
Hello. Being dead tired of heavy, shweaty overon-ear headphones (my last ones are akg q701), I have finally decided to join the IEM game. And while q701 is adequate - their fatiguing highs and weak bass (personally not a bass-head, though) is something I would like to get away from to something "straighter". I'm drooling over ER4XR, but they are a tad expensive, and I know I won't have the patience to save up for them, so, currently, I'm contemplating between the subj and ue900s/brainwavs b400. I got anchored hard in se425 since it was the first cool-looking iem I encountered in my search, and I've read that general consensus is that they are rather neutral. But aren't they dated at this point, can I get more value? Definitely not etymotics straight away, I don't think I will be able to appreciate them without comparison with some previously owned mid-fi iem. So, any advice? Clarification on shures? I sure ( :wink: ) can't get over the way they look and their respectable brand.

May 10, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 5
If weak bass is a concern, then probably steer clear of the SE425. They have good detail and can be very nice depending on genre and taste, but they lack bass extension and quantity. (They are small, light, comfortable, and sturdy, though.)

And yes, they are older and quite likely you can something better for the same money or something that performs similarly for less. Massdrop plus might be worth a look, they're supposed to be running another drop for them soon.

May 10, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 5
I'd rather take the Noble savant over the se425 for $250

Both lack bass though

May 11, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 5
I'd rather take the Noble savant over the se425 for $250

Both lack bass though
Never heard the Savant, but I didn't rate the 425 either. I went with the Campfire Orion instead.

@aquestbetternottaken
Balanced armature driver IEM bass is more dependant on a good seal compared to dynamic driver IEMs. You'll likely need to try several ear tips to find what's best for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back