Shure SE425: First Impressions and Reviews Thread
Apr 6, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #46 of 65
Do you only want to run a P to S adapter if you have an amp?  IE I generally use my headphones directly from my computer(s), would it help me or not be worth it?

May 26, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #47 of 65

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, guys.
I emailed the store I got the SE425s from and the guy that runs it told me that he'll look into it tomorrow. I do hope I can just get a new pair through the Headphone Bar (which, btw is the most epic headphone store in Vancouver) so that it saves me the $20-ish I'd have to pay for shipping.

This is absolutely heartbreaking, even with the certainty that Shure will replace these. I just got The Beatles discography in FLAC and was thoroughly enjoying the fantastic sound when this happened.

guess i should get CK10 over 425 then for it's built

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #48 of 65
I only tried the SE425 in a shop out of my Teclast T51/S:Flo 2, I was very happy with their sound and the build quality.

I'm sure with a proper seal, 75 ohm adaptor, and longer listening session I would become even more impressed with these, but my feeling was their SS isn't for me, I think their SS is more suited for a stage musician or someone that just wants to relax and listen to music for a long time.

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #49 of 65
Have any of you tried putting a tiny dab of Vaseline around the nozzle before putting on the tips? I have found that that works fairly well in getting the tips off more easily. Does this affect the sound quality?

Sep 15, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #50 of 65
...75 ohm adaptor and longer listening session I would become even more impressed with these, but mKy feeling was their SS isn't for me, I think their SS is more suited for a stage musician or someone that just wants to relax and listen to music for a long time.

Whats a 75 ohm adapter and what's it do? Excuse me for being new >_<;

As for relaxing and listening to music for a long time, isn't that what we do? =p

I just got the SE425 to replace my SE210's. Sighs, I blew the SE210 right ear speaker after almost 5 years of use. Though, my first impression of the SE425's aren't too mind blowing moving from the SE210's. I DJ from time to time, so I use Allen and heaths xone headphone cans, and the SE425, despite having the extra bass speaker, doesn't seem to sound too different from the SE210, just a tad more base. Though, their reproduction of sound is amazing, but I just don't get the body trembling sub sound I get from a club. For my day job, they're more than sufficient.

Also, heart sounds sound good with the SE425's

Sep 16, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #51 of 65
Glad they kept the sound signature the same as its predecessor. This is the phone that opened up new dimension in listening to clear, bright, balanced sound. Initially, I was disappointed with lack of bass, but it had enough. When I had the opportunity, I sold the 420 and picked up a 530. I like them both - but possibly favor the 420 from what I recall.

I'm trying the triple.fi 10 and I'm not as impressed. Again, their entry level single armature had sweet neutral sound.

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #52 of 65

Quote:
Me too I placed the earphones on the freezer to remove them

My se425 & se535, does't need to freez! tour in a freezer, put some kind of humidity in the shell & nozle, i simply keep the iem in my hands to keeping warm a bit. After few minutes, i pull & twist all the way out slowly  and straight
the eat of my hands work for me! have done this with all my shure iem. 
regular_smile .gif

Dec 31, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #53 of 65

Quote:
Mind sharing your tip removal technique? The very nice guy from the Headphone Bar did remove the tips before I took them out (not without difficulty) but now that they're back on, I can't get them off (and as I said in my last post, I'm terrified to even try), so some help would be most appreciated.
triportsad.gif

Once you get it out, instal a westone UM56 mold, like i do. No more tips removal issues, and you will be fine for a very long run.!
wink_face.gif
By the way, i still have SE425cl and SE535v for sales, if some interested!

Dec 31, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #54 of 65
Can anyone tell me how the bass compares to SE215? I was looking to upgrade resolution, clarity, detail and spaciousness with the SE535 at some point. But I keep reading that the SE535 doesn't offer that much bass, im confused now if it would be the right IEM for me, since I don't really want to sacrifice any of the punchy bass the SE215 offers.

Dec 31, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #55 of 65

Quote:
I love the cable lol it's probably one of the main reasons I got the 535s/425s.
I find myself picking up the 425s a lot more I might sell my 535s even though they sound great as well.
Just wondering does anybody use an amped setup? (curious as to what it would do to the 425s)
dt880smile.png

x2  have both either. think to sales them Am planing to make the move to custom iem now!

Dec 31, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #56 of 65
Dec 31, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #57 of 65

Quote:
425 owners should try a p to s adaptor as soon as possible the diference is amazing !!!

Am an owners of both, but sorry, what is the P and S adaptor  go for ?? have a pict of this?

Dec 31, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #58 of 65

Quote:
I concur about the P to S adaptor...really opens up the sound of the 425s and adds a lot of airiness

Désolé... sorry, P S adaptor? have you some pict to show, am a bit confused!  :wink: 

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #59 of 65
Hi,

Would you say the 425 is a good choice to pair with an iPhone 4S as source?

I'm looking for a portable setup and so far i've tried the 535 but because of the extra sensitivity it's been a nightmare - way to loud on quietest setting on my iphone and the high sensitivity of the 535 pick up a lot of background hiss that ruins everything. Sure, now i know the answer for this is a pico slim / ray shadow, but wouldn't be portable in my view and it does mean 400$ more on top the 535.

So i was looking for something less sensitive that wouldn't get some much hiss (preferably) not from my iphone 4s (which is said to have a decent dac/amp).

Is any of you using a 425 paired with an iDevice?
Which are your impressions?

Jun 10, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #60 of 65
Sorry for the really delayed post, but my impressions with the SE425's paired to an iDevice is... Mediocre? I'm not saying the SE425's sound bad, but it really depends on what you're listening to and in what environment. The 425's and I'm assuming the 525's sound much better with an amp (I bought the Fiio E3 to fiddle with the difference in sound quality - E3 for portability and low price point for trying a new brand. Plus the power output was rated ?70mW@32 ohms, matching the 425's and my 32ohm full sized headphones).

the iPhone 4S and iPad2 cannot drive these headphones effectively IMO.

9 months in, I've noticed a few things (in reference to using this with my ipad2):
1) the base on the 425 isn't as good as the 215's (I think based on the inherent EQ of the 215's) without an amp. Although matching the 425's with an amp makes the bass better, it still doesn't match the 215's bass with no amp (I found that adding my E3 to the 215 made the 215's sound worse, as it pushed the sound towards the unclear, noise range with the bass overwhelming everything)
2) Using the 215's with intermittent breaks (1 hour of use with 5-10 minutes break), I had sound fatigue by ~3-4 hours use, listening to house music (Tiesto clublife podcasts). I attribute the fatigue from the 215's superior bass. The 425's give me no fatigue.
3) I've also switched the cabling with Shure's mobile (cellphone cable) compatible with iDevices. The microphone and headphone connection is good and switching between the Kevlar cabling to the mobile one is fast and convenient. However, the mobile cable's 3.5mm jack is curved, and the cabling to the headphones is extremely flimsy and not tangle free. After 3 months of use (phone in pocket), I have a loose cable by the 3.5mm connection side (it disconnects my right ear from time to time, unless I have it @ the right angle). It's a Shame for a $60 cable, as the Kevlar cable cannot control iDevice music
4)My colleagues, who use Beats headphones, mention the bass on my 425's is very light when they sample my headphones. However, they do mention that the treble and midline are very clear. They prefer the 215's unequivocally.

My takeaway is that the 425's are fantastic headphones for listening to music for long periods of time (I use these babies for 6-10 hours a day studying in libraries and cafe's). However, an amp is definitely preferred when listening/enjoying music is top priority (but then u start sacrifing portability and never mind cellphone interference).

I recommend 215's for everyday commuting. Though, the 425's bass will never match the 215's
IMO, so if bass is important to you, switching from 215's to 425's will be a disappointment in that regard.

And no, I don't think the 425's are a good match with any iDevice without an amp, as you're limiting your music entertainment due to the iPhone/iPad's limited power output to your headphones. That being said, if I had to go with Shures, I would go with the 215's paired to an iDevice with no amp. With an amp, 425's all the way. Thats my personal preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back