Shure SE425: First Impressions and Reviews Thread
Dec 25, 2010 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

Dr-Atrocious

Head-Fier
I just got the SE425s as a Christmas present (from myself) and I do believe I've found the perfect set for my tastes.
Even without burn-in (I'm doing that now as I type), the SE425s sound amazingly clear with an enveloping, punchy bass response. I don't get why it's called a neutral 'phone, with my mp3 player (Samsung P3) it sounds anything but!

So far, I've discovered that it's fantastic, superb even, for house music and for music that has multiple "dimensions," 3D music like the Beatles or The Dark Knight OST.

I will post a more detailed review as soon as these complete my 24 hour burn-in period.
Merry Christmas to you all! :)

In the meanwhile, have a picture.
IMG_9943.jpg

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #2 of 65
thank you for confirming one of the things that was bugging me for a long time. I own the SE425 and for me it has very good bass. Quick and quite strong sometimes. I don't get the description it is a neutral or bass shy.

Dec 27, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #3 of 65

(This will be my first review due to very little detailed review for this product at headfi)

Disclaimer: This is my first review. I am new to this, very little technical stuff/audio terms is used in this impression. Please be reminded all of this is very subjective per person and musical preferences.

Picture: (copyright of ShureASIA)

Shure SE 425: Technical Specifications
(c/o Headphone.com)
Acoustic Seal: Closed
Driver Type: Balanced Armature
Ear Coupler Type: IEM
Coupler Size: Small
Cord Type: Straight Y
Detachable Cable: Yes
Impedance @ 1kHz: 37 Ohms
Isolation: -12dB ~ -20dB
Connector Type: 1/8
Headphone Type: In-Ear

Frequency Response Graph (c/o headphone.com:)

(Compared to Etymotic ER-4s)

Comparison graph between se420 and se 425

Feeback comparison from Shure: (I emailed shure regarding what key changes was implemented betwen se420 and se425)

Attached is their email feedback: Though the specification looks the same, the sound tuning of the drivers are actually different between SE420 and SE425. Sound from SE425 will have more high frequency extension  while the balance between high, mid and low frequency remain natural. - ShureHongKong-customer service

We didn't change the sound quality of the SE420 too much, as it has been a customer favorite for the last three years.  The changes made to the SE425 acoustic network  resulted in a slightly more defined high end, but the overall signature and balance is very close to its predecessor. - shuretechnicalservices - HongKong

Equipment: Sansa Clip+ (no amplification)

Tips used for the impression: Stock Medium Shure Foam sleeves

Musical Preference: Vocals (Sarah Brightman, Mariah, Maria Callas, Nana Mosoukouri)
Pop Rock (Maroon 5, Greenday, Journey)
R&B/Hiphop (Jay Z, Rhinna, Beyonce)
Classical (Vivaldi, Prokiev)

Initial impressions: One of the main things if you read about the se420 and se425 model is the sound signature for this model is a "flat response" as defined by Shure. 

Sound signature as per SHURE.asia website describes this sound as "balanced and accurate"

My take on this sound signature is THE "quality will vary" depending on the recording that will be used for your reference. 

Musical examples:

Blueprint by Jay-z: Bass, instruments, vocals and other electronic sounds is well defined, very coherent and rhythmic. 

Stand out song: Empire state of mind 

American Idiot by Greenday: Guitar and drums are well executed, detail is really nice, with "Shure trademark" smooth and clear sound. (Though compared with my other earphones or headphones, I wish that the bass will have more earth shaking sound) - Though if the recording calls for it bass will be present but merely as part of the total sound and not a particular highlight

Songs that stand out: Boulevard of Broken Dreams and Jesus of Suburbia

Hairspray (Original Movie Soundtrack): Very lively and engaging. Vocals stand out. Example: Good morning Baltimore and Welcome to the 60's

--I sometimes think this smooth sound almost border to being boring...; But please don't mistake this sound as not good as it is still very musical and is simply a matter of how you like to hear your music

Sound Reproduction per frequency range: 

Low: When I think of this range, I just think of the thump. It is present if the recording requires, it will be felt and heard. (Hip-hop music for this type of sound signature is not recommended if you want the exaggerated earth shaking, heart-pounding sound) 

Mid: All I can say is this IEM reproduces life-like sound. I am simply happy; the sound is really nice and defined. Very clear all across. Strings sound excellent (I am more into this sound signature) 

Highs: I have no idea how this sound at all. ? (I can't make an impression for this) If you ask me if cymbals do shimmer or bells tinkle in your head. I would say not really but still present. -This observation is compared to the SRH440 I have which is I consider has bright presentation.

Sound stage: Spacious and Airy (Though still in the head sound)

Isolation: Is Good to above average: Traffic noise is drowned out but you can still hear engine noise

Ergonomics/Fit: It is quite difficult to put on due to shape and size. But once properly placed is fits very snugly. Cable is very heavy but seems durable. (Kevlar reinforced - what can more can you say). I will you post pictures of how it fits in my ears.  ::)

Value: It is expensive ($300). This is a middle-end product placement not a flagship model but on the expensive side. I have no point of comparison on price/performance since I own full size and on-ear headphones. Though, in the long run having a replaceable cable will save you a lot more. It is cheaper than the se535 model (Phil retail: P21K). 

Warranty: Manufacturer's warranty in Southeast Asia is only 1 year 

Summary: I like this earphone a lot. This is very balanced across all the frequency range; nothing is emphasized. I think this may not appeal to a lot of people since this have a tendency to be boring due to very smooth transitions from low,mid and high. I would still describe this sound as warm of neutral.

Interesting note of this earphone is at the SHURE.UK website this is their recommended earphone for stage monitoring for vocal, guitar, and piano. (Check what earphone best fits you test)

For more information and comparison of the different Shure IEM lines: Please check this video

Please check this article for insight of one of the designers of Shure earphones. http://themacfeed.com/2009/10/untitled/

*Hopefully this will help you out in making your choices.
(This is originally posted at headphiles by the author)

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 65
Nice write up, dude.
I just stuck one of my earpieces in the freezer cause the foams are so damn hard to remove..

Just got past 50 hour of burn-in, will post my review soon.

Edit: Well, I'm not doing that again, left them in for 10 minutes and the tips were still difficult to remove. I did get them off, but I see some strain on the casing... Oh gawd, broken nozzles better be covered by the warranty.

Dec 28, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #5 of 65

Quote:
Nice write up, dude.
I just stuck one of my earpieces in the freezer cause the foams are so damn hard to remove..

Edit: Well, I'm not doing that again, left them in for 10 minutes and the tips were still difficult to remove. I did get them off, but I see some strain on the casing... Oh gawd, broken nozzles better be covered by the warranty.

Yesterday i got my brand new Shure SE530PTH and i could not believe it. I was utterly unable to remove the left sleeve. I tried the fridge for a good 30 minutes and nothing. I almost cried in despair. This morning i put em straight into the freezer of the office for 10 minutes and voila i managed to take em off easily but honestly i hope that i did not damage a nozzle yesterday night when pulling and twisting after the fridge session.

In my view all these stories about the preinstalled tips not coming off are just and plainly unacceptable. Shure should do something in that regard.

Otherwise perfectly happy with the iems.

Dec 28, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #6 of 65
I've had the 425s for a long time now and I can assure you they are neutral/flat compared to other IEMs. It has an amazing attack speed, especially strings/classical. The 425s aren't really "fun" IEMs in relation to say TF10s. The TF10s have somewhat recessed mids and a v-shaped sound pattern. But the 425s are very balanced (I just listened carefully with EQ off @ extremely low volume to test it out)
There is obviously some bass presence but it really doesn't extend all the way when you try to listen for the subkicks.
I think they are one of the best IEMs due to balance of construction/sound quality/warranty/cable quality etc..
It's not really a mid-range IEM, it's a high-end Shure IEM but people prefer to go with flagship line the price difference isn't that steep ($250 vs $320)

Overall I like my 425s but I am going to have to disagree with the OP and say it is a neutral phone imho.
darthsmile.gif

Dec 28, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #7 of 65

Me too I placed the earphones on the freezer to remove them
Quote:
Nice write up, dude.

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #11 of 65
HEY GUYS, HELP PLEASE.

The nozzle on my SE425s just broke off, and I'm wondering if I should send these to Shure or take them back to the store. Is this even covered by the warranty?
Goddammit! I wasn't even goddamn pulling the sleeve off the wrong way, and the right nozzle just snapped off.

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #13 of 65
Yea you can claim a defect and just calmly tell them you weren't doing anything crazy with them and they should send you a new pair
etysmile.gif

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #14 of 65
Same thing happened to me, I sent them back to shure and got a new pair so you should be ok!

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #15 of 65
Thanks for the replies, guys.
I emailed the store I got the SE425s from and the guy that runs it told me that he'll look into it tomorrow. I do hope I can just get a new pair through the Headphone Bar (which, btw is the most epic headphone store in Vancouver) so that it saves me the $20-ish I'd have to pay for shipping.

This is absolutely heartbreaking, even with the certainty that Shure will replace these. I just got The Beatles discography in FLAC and was thoroughly enjoying the fantastic sound when this happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back