Shure SE425: First Impressions and Reviews Thread
Dec 30, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #16 of 65
Next time I'm in the 604 I'm going to definitely check out that store
Btw just wondering how much did you get your 425s for Dr-Atrocious? (You can PM me if you want)
There are a few places in Toronto that sells for decent places I was just wondering how competitive the pricing was in Van

Anyways good luck to you
jecklinsmile.gif

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #17 of 65
I got them for $279.99, he matched electronicsforless.ca's price!
And he said he would replace them, even ordered the metallic bronze version for me, so I'm glad that it all worked out without my dishing out $25 for shipping. :D

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #19 of 65
As much as I hate to resurrect an old topic, I don't like to start a new one about the same topic even more.
I got my new SE425-Vs today, and found out that the wire on the metallic bronze version is thicker and "gel-ier" than the one on the Clear.

The thickness on this is about the same as my SE110s, but doesn't feel as rigid. You also can't feel the individual wires anymore, but I personally like this. The bronze finish is beautiful, definitely tickles the fancy of my shiny-gadget-lover self.

The tips are still unbelievably difficult to remove, and frankly, I'm terrified to even try. The dude at the Headphone Bar had a difficult time removing them as well, and now that I have them back on, they don't seem to want to budge again so I'm gonna let them be (since the medium olives are on, and however I experiment, I KNOW that I'll end up back on the Med. Olive) for the meanwhile.

Also, during my first 15 minutes of use, when I pressed on the area where the removable plug for the earpiece connected (not hard, who would do that on purpose?) the sound on the earpiece disappeared. Now, I've been listening for about 3 hours and it hasn't happened again, but I'm still wary. I love these earphones, and while I have the utmost confidence in Shure's customer service [and in Headphone Bar, who made my exchange about 3 times quicker than if I sent these to Shure by myself], it would be completely torturous to have to go another week or so without these.

Jan 11, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #21 of 65
Changing the tips on these things is an absolute nightmare, even worse than on my 530s as the nozzle seems way more brittle and even the freezer trick doesn't seem to help as much. It's such a problem that I may not be keeping mine. I really don't understand how Shure could let this slide...

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #22 of 65
Interestingly, when I first got my SE425, I actually asked the shop owner to change the tips for me because I was terrified that I'd break them. However, now that I have owned them for awhile (and changed tips several times), I gotta say that my experience with the tip-changing aspect has been very friendly. I don't have any difficulty with removing tips when I have to. So, I am actually a bit puzzled to where all these "freezer" stories are coming from.
redface.gif

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #24 of 65

Quote:
How's the bass on the Shure 425? Need some opinions on that, thanks.

Leaning to light bass compared to a lot of other earphones, if you ask me. 425 is almost, in my humble opinion, entirely mid-centered. It doesn't mean that it doesn't do the bass good; just don't expect boom-boom! from them.

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #25 of 65
went to the headphone bar today and the owner was really nice. it seems the fit (demoed it there) on the se425 is not as good as the se310.. and when i listened to it it didnt sound good at all.. it wasnt clear and there was no bass.. im 100% sure its me not getting a proper seal but im kinda discouraged from buying them now..

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #26 of 65
Can't comment on the 425 but here is my experience with the 420...

Wore the SE420s for one year and now i still have them but now i did get the SE530s. I kind of concur with Maxwell.

The SE420 is a bit lacking at both ends of the spectrum. It lacks a little sub bass but it's in the high end energy where it lacks the most in comparison with the SE530 (And this model is said here to have a weak high end. A vast exaggeration in my book). Thus i think that labeling the SE420s as mid-centric is really accurate. Since the 425 reworked the upper part of the spectrum i think that my biggest gripe about the 420 (Treble) is now gone.

Last night i switched back and forth and when switching from the 530s to the 420 the first impression was what i've just said. A couple of minutes into the listening session i was lost in the music and have forgotten the aforementioned nuisances.

Bottom line is that if you can afford going for a triple balanced armature iem go for it. But if budget is important i think you'll be fine with the 425.

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #28 of 65

Quote:
Interestingly, when I first got my SE425, I actually asked the shop owner to change the tips for me because I was terrified that I'd break them. However, now that I have owned them for awhile (and changed tips several times), I gotta say that my experience with the tip-changing aspect has been very friendly. I don't have any difficulty with removing tips when I have to. So, I am actually a bit puzzled to where all these "freezer" stories are coming from.
redface.gif

Mind sharing your tip removal technique? The very nice guy from the Headphone Bar did remove the tips before I took them out (not without difficulty) but now that they're back on, I can't get them off (and as I said in my last post, I'm terrified to even try), so some help would be most appreciated.
triportsad.gif

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #29 of 65
I FINALLY got mine off, after 1000x times using the freezer trick, but I still could only get off the LEFT earpiece. So I ended up having to carefully cut off the right olive tip, a bit scary but
luckily no harm done.

Put the yellow foamies on and am enjoying the 425s quite a bit. Strangely enough I can easily get these tips off, and have tried the silicones, as well. I am absolutely terrified to try the olives again
so I will stay far, far away from them for now...

Jan 16, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #30 of 65
I do like the yellow tips, but they get too stiff and uncomfortable in the cold, cold Vancouver mornings.
I have found out that they come off easier than the olives as well, but what really sucks is that it's not just the new olives that are getting stuck on the nozzles - it's also the old ones, like the ones I used with my SE110s and SE210s (that usually come off without a problem on those respective models)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back