Shure SE315
Oct 12, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #17 of 41
Any idea on a comparison to the SE210's or E2's? I find the E2's to have smooth but undetailed highs, while the SE210's are detailed but harsh. It would be great if the SE315's split the difference.

Oct 13, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #18 of 41
I guess what I'm trying to ask is, are the SE315s any good... I realize that it's a very general question since "good" could mean anything from comfort to appearance, but the ATH-M50 is the only reference I have. I'm still new to the head-fi environment, feeling my way around.

I've always liked Shure's designs so if the SE315 is, in any sense of the word, "good" I would like to hear people's thoughts on them.

Oct 13, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #19 of 41
I wonder how they compare to the old E4C, since they are single driver.  However, the housing on them looks huge just like the SE530 was, which I don't quite like.  I have trouble getting a good fit with the se530 because of the housing size while the e4c goes in deep very easily since they are so narrow.

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #20 of 41
Personally, I think that the 315 fit better than the 530.  The shell is much smaller and compact in comparison.  I don't remember the fit of the E4C anymore, so can't speak of that.  Sound-wise, (if I remember correctly) I think that the 315 is a bit of a step up in clarity and treble extension.  

Oct 17, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #21 of 41
Hi folks,

I have both here, the SE310 and SE315. I can't tell anything about other headphones like SE425 or so, before I only had the SE210. I can tell you, the SE315 is completely different from the SE310. This is a completely new product. The SE315 has MUCH more bass (and I hear lower frequencies than with the SE310), MUCH warmer & softer high frequencies (with the SE310 I needed sometimes the "less high frequencies" EQ in my iPod as the high frequencies were painful, but with the SE315 I don't want that anymore) und in total I can say that I hear more 3D in the music. More hall rooms, more definiton in the music, and everything is more realistic and natural. Very very nice! Can somebody compare the SE315 to SE425 and SE535? That would be very interesting.

Oct 17, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #22 of 41
Interesting impressions @unclebenz and welcome to head fi 
o2smile.gif

Oct 17, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #23 of 41
heya people,

just thought I would add my two cents to these earphones since there's not that much information on the web about them when I was researching.  I got them this morning to replace my SE210s which I have had since launch (cracked and mended multiple times).

Build Quality - This was the main issue for me with the SE210s, the wire casing.  SE315s feel much more sturdy built and made compared to my SE210s, do not really like that the wire close to the centre adjuster is quite thin.  However, the wire feels much softer and I am hoping it wont go stiff like the SE210s casing.  The part where the most wire cracking occurs before (around the ears) have now been reinforced quite thoroughly with another layer, plus the wires are replaceable.

Sound - For me, this was a huge leap from SE210 at a similar price point (since I bought them at launch).  I agree with the previous comment by unclebenz, the feeling of these earphones is like a generation leap rather than a tweak in life cycle.  The surround sound, hall effect is definitely there especially with house music.  It gives more of what I like about Shure, the warmth and richness of sounds with a definite boost in bass (tight not blown out).

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #24 of 41
Thank you all for your initial impressions.

No more modular cable.
Better soundstage.
Warm sound (as always) with better treble extension.

It all sure looks tempting. 

Nov 13, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #26 of 41

Quote:
Hi folks,

I have both here, the SE310 and SE315. I can't tell anything about other headphones like SE425 or so, before I only had the SE210. I can tell you, the SE315 is completely different from the SE310. This is a completely new product. The SE315 has MUCH more bass (and I hear lower frequencies than with the SE310), MUCH warmer & softer high frequencies (with the SE310 I needed sometimes the "less high frequencies" EQ in my iPod as the high frequencies were painful, but with the SE315 I don't want that anymore) und in total I can say that I hear more 3D in the music. More hall rooms, more definiton in the music, and everything is more realistic and natural. Very very nice! Can somebody compare the SE315 to SE425 and SE535? That would be very interesting.

I agree with unclebenz. I just bought the se315 and I love the sound I get from them. There really is three-dimensional sound and clarity. I am pretty excited about using them on stage tomorrow night. I will have more to say after that. So far in love! 

Nov 13, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #27 of 41
Thanks Vinnie for the great posts. Even though you sent them back you were still able to provide good detail of the product. Some people cant seem to compliment a product if they personally dont use them. 

I am only about a year old to the in ear monitor thing and I dont know as much as some of the other guys on this forum although I would like to get to be as knowledgable in this subject area as they are. So feel free to provide me with suggestions and what not.

About a year ago my church purchased a sennheiser wireless in ear set up for me. At first I just used the stock cheap pair of headphones they give you with the package and they where definitely cheap. Had no isolation poor bass, scratchy highs, etc... I could not handle that any longer and went to my Apple iPod headphones. After one set I realized that those are junk and immediately got off stage and went to my local music store to purchase some better headphones. This is where I found M-Audio's IE-10 for round $130. (I have my own opinions on M-Audio and if you wanna know what I think just let me know and I'll vent about them.) All in all decent pair of in ears, not very comfortable at all but decent sound and it got the job done for about a year. Now I have replaced my IE-10's with the Shure SE-315 and no comparison totally in love with them. Great sound, excellent bass quality (for a single driver headphone) the music really has a three-dimensional sound with superb clarity and the comfort is unimaginable!  I have only listened to my iPod through the 315's but tomorrow I will be playing live on stage and I am ready to see how they do. Ill have a better assessment after I use them on stage. 

What is a good custom in ear company that some of you might recommend? In the future I would like to drop about a grand and get customs and never mess with consumer in ears again. What are your thoughts? 

Nov 19, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #28 of 41
You can upgrade your SE315s to custom with silicone sleeves from Sensaphonics ($150). This will give you most of the advantages of custom fit without the big price tag -- pretty good deal if you're happy with the sound of your Shures. Another advantage is that the sleeves will fit both the SE425 and SE535 as well, giving you a clean upgrade path when you're ready to move up.

When you're ready to make the jump to full custom, I heartily recommend Sensaphonics -- 2MAX for reference/neutral voicing, 3MAX for a more bass-centric signature -- for use with your Sennheiser IEM system.

Full disclosure: Sensaphonics is a client of mine.
But only because they are the best damned musician earphones out there.

Dec 26, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #29 of 41

vinnievidi said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

The SE315 arrived this morning.  I gave them a listen for much of the day but decided that I am going to send them back.  

They sounded fine (and the build is amazing), but I realize that I just don't care for the Shure sound--especially over the Triple.Fi 10.

In comparison, I think they are very similar to the SE530 in a lot of ways.  The mids were very smooth and well integrated, but the highs were not as nice as those on the SE535.  I haven't heard the SE425, but the SE315 blow the SE420 away in every regard.     

It's good for reference, Thanks for your analysis!

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #30 of 41
hi guys if you don't mind can you describe exactly what the BASS of the SE315 sounds like? i am almost into buying these IEMs because i am planning to replace my diddy beats with these... if you happen to listen OMG by Usher can you describe the impact of the bass on the ending chorus of it? please help me on deciding with these .. diddy beats' bass was very very heavy and detailed but i find myself having a headache after an hour of listening to it and i wasn't really happy with it coz' i found out it doesn't do good with alter rock which was more mids oriented.. i just want to know if the bass is enough for you to feel it.. i don't have problems aside from that based on the reviews of SE315.. just the bass
thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back