Shure SE315
Jan 4, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #31 of 41

Quote:
hi guys if you don't mind can you describe exactly what the BASS of the SE315 sounds like? i am almost into buying these IEMs because i am planning to replace my diddy beats with these... if you happen to listen OMG by Usher can you describe the impact of the bass on the ending chorus of it? please help me on deciding with these .. diddy beats' bass was very very heavy and detailed but i find myself having a headache after an hour of listening to it and i wasn't really happy with it coz' i found out it doesn't do good with alter rock which was more mids oriented.. i just want to know if the bass is enough for you to feel it.. i don't have problems aside from that based on the reviews of SE315.. just the bass
thank you

very good bass. i just tried it, no problem handling the bass on OMG by Usher i guess, ive tried it with many other songs of the same genre. sounds very much like the amount of bass you get on a dynamic.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #32 of 41
[size=10pt]Hey there WhitePanda, [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]I have the new Shure 315's which replaced the former SCL E3's. I replaced the SCL E3's 3 times in the last two years due to one of the ears shorting out. The 315's were supposed to be a gigantic leap forward, in terms of electronics and wiring. However, I've only had these IEM's for 2 days now and the RIGHT EM has gone out almost completely. At least the SCL E3's had somewhat of a life expectancy. I could count on them being solid for at least 6 months. =) I realize I could have received a defective set of EM's but this being the 4th pair in the last 2 years is kind of ridiculous. [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Okay sorry about that, had to vent. Now, on to the questions in your post. [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Are Shure EM's "good", in terms of sound quality? YES!! In my opinion, the SCL E3's and the 315's have a very neutral sound response. The highs aren't too high, the mid's are just right, and the low's are very tight. The low's aren't extremely thick, to say the least, but I'd prefer a flat response over a colored response. These EM's do NOT color the sound at all from what I can tell....and I like that.......I like it a lot. As a studio drummer, I need the EM's to fight tight, sound excellent and be free from electrical failure. Well...I've landed 2 out of 3....so things aren't all that bad. However, if one ear isn't working at all........then Shure's going to have to do something about that now aren't they? haha[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Speaking of their service.........THE BEST I have ever dealt with. Scenario: I called Shure about 2 weeks ago, letting them know I was going to ship another pair of defective EM's back to them. Now, keep in mind that my original purchase of the SCL E3's was about 2 years ago, through Guitar Center......when they were selling them for $52.00. Yup...you read that right, $52 smacks! Boom! Now, if I remember correctly, the manufacturer’s warranty was only 1 year from the date of purchase. The first pair of SCL E3's went belly up 8 months into ownership. Naturally, shure replaced them. Second pair lasted me about another 8 months from the last replacement. Third pair lasted me about 6 months from the previous replacement and the fourth pair (the current 315's) have lasted me all but 2 days. My point here is that I have only invested $52 dollars into these EM's. Shure has taken care of me ever since the first pair went down in a blaze of glory, and it's been 2 years since my original purchase. They even upgraded me to the 315's, from the SCL E3's.......naturally if they're no longer manufacturing the E3's. The people at Shure could have said "Sir, your original warranty for this product retired one year ago and we are no longer able to assist you with the replacement", but they haven't. Consistently, they have delivered top-notch customer service!!! Again, the best I've ever dealt with. [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Hopefully my response has helped in the, as you called it, "head-fi environment", and I wish you the best of success with whatever you choose. [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt] - The Picard Maneuver - [/size]
[size=small] [/size]

Apr 24, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #33 of 41
Hi, bought the SE315 last week but returned them yesterday.... I was very disappointed! Compared to my euro 40,- sony IEM there is (in my opinion) no real improvement to the sound, which I expected from a 189 euro purchase.... Thin in the lower and higher frequencies, however more detailed in the mid range. Getting them into your ear takes a lot of practice. It might work for others, not for me. I experimented with them with Ipod and other equipment but it didn't make me happy. I should have consulted the internet before buying although you come across many company sites that are very positive, Well, as long as it sells.... Some reviews hit the spot though: for the money, much better IEM's are available! Grtz, RFBI, The Netherlands

Apr 25, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #34 of 41
Hi, bought the SE315 last week but returned them yesterday....I was very disappointed! Compared to my euro 40,- sony IEM there is (in my opinion) no real improvement to the sound, which I expected from a 189 euro purchase...

I own both SE315 and a pair of cheap sony IEM, and I find Shure's vastly superior to Sony's: bass in Sony's is bloated and lacks texture, mids are absoultely unrefined and recessed, highs are rolled-off.
I'm sorry for your disappointment, but I think you just don't like Shure's signature.

May 5, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #35 of 41
Some would say there's a night and day difference between shure 535 and 315. They're different soundwise, but very close in quality. I prefer the 315's generally.

And so someone says they like  £30 sony's more than these. You must have the right fit- you've had them for a week. Your files and source probably are not a problem.

So what's wrong?
Nothing.

If what you like is the massive bass quantity and sharp highs, and that's most important to you, cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFBI

''....Some reviews hit the spot though: for the money, much better IEM's are available!

....for my sound preferences at the moment.''

Probably like the IE8 (uk price) hey?

I'd say that for those who like this shure-type of sound, there isn't much better. These are my favourite iem's.

About 20 x better than the cx300 to my ears.
And these cx300's will probably rip them sonys apart.

Jun 23, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #37 of 41
Took a punt and got some SE315's today 
smily_headphones1.gif

Why the 315s? 
- I'll be using them on a bunch of long flights this year, so wanted good isolation, this was my primary reason for wanting them
- Not a fan of overpowering bass
- They've had a mixed reception, so I went for the underdog
- My first target were the HF5s, but a friend with HF5's wasn't impressed by them and two pairs broke

So they're my first IEMs so nothing to compare them against except my big old over ear Sony MDR V6s. 

Initial impressions...

- The stock tips were ok, but I found them a bit uncomfortable.
- Removing the stock tips IS AN ARSE! Into a zip-loc bag, then freezer for 5-10 mins (NOT the couple of hours some people suggest...), eventually changed them, still had to cut one off very carefully with a sharp pen knife... ended up on the medium silicone olives (that what they're called? not the foam ones)
- Way easier to fit in my ears than expected, and get a very good comfortable seal.
- Sound quality varies way more on the type of music and source than with over ear phones.
- Classical is excellent, electronic (Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk) is also excellent.
- Bass is there and fairly punchy, despite what some people have said, again quality of the source files is going to be key. i.e. on my iPod AC/DC sounded very good with punchy crisp bass, great mids and highs, but Iron Maiden a bit bass-lite.

Overall, a couple of hours in, I'm very happy.

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #39 of 41
i have an unsatisfying fit from my se315s.  when i set my jaw a certain way, the "sound hole" seals against my inner ear.  also experience fatigue after a couple hours.

whats the better way to go:

- the sensaphonic solution which was advertised on an insert inside the shure box
http://www.sensaphonics.com/wp-content/uploads/Shure_sleeves.jpg

- or inearcustom.com custom shell?

the picture indicates that the sensaphonics sleeve is used in place of the little rubber nubs, but the sleeve is a lot longer, so that means that the sound is traveling all the way down that silicone tube. wouldnt one expect that to change the sound quite a lot? are custom shells then obviously better sounding?

would silicone give better isolation since its flexible?

but with the latter, a custom shell, doesnt the shape of the case change the acoustics? how the sound comes out? i thought that engineers took into account the shape of the "cabinet" when they design an iem. since this puts the innards into a whole new shell, doesnt this affect the designed sound?

any ideas?  personal experience? 

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #40 of 41
  i have an unsatisfying fit from my se315s.  when i set my jaw a certain way, the "sound hole" seals against my inner ear.  also experience fatigue after a couple hours.

- the sensaphonic solution which was advertised on an insert inside the shure box

the picture indicates that the sensaphonics sleeve is used in place of the little rubber nubs, but the sleeve is a lot longer, so that means that the sound is traveling all the way down that silicone tube. wouldnt one expect that to change the sound quite a lot? are custom shells then obviously better sounding?

but with the latter, a custom shell, doesnt the shape of the case change the acoustics? how the sound comes out? i thought that engineers took into account the shape of the "cabinet" when they design an iem. since this puts the innards into a whole new shell, doesnt this affect the designed sound?

i would definitly try the silicone vs the custom tips for now, and see if that doesnt help things.

the custom sleeps act sort of like a custom IEM, but i have heard mixed reviews. and i have never tried them myself as abviously the price for the mold then the sleeves and shipping can run up a cost that may or may not improve the audio quality.

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #41 of 41

I'll try to address some of your questions.
  1. I can't address the idea of reshelling except to say that Sensaphonics does not and will not offer it. I think your concerns regarding changes in acoustics are valid.
  2. The "advertisement" in the Shure box is from them, not from Sensaphonics. We are their recommended supplier for this service.
  3. The silicone custom sleeves should give superior isolation; YMMV.
  4. Soft silicone custom sleeves are also likely to me more comfortable and less fatiguing.
  5. The sound is still traveling "all the way" from the IEM port to your eardrum; the distance it traverses is essentially unchanged.
  6. We require full-shell impressions beyond the second bend of the ear canal. This ensures secure fit and full seal - both of which are essential to delivering the sound as intended.
  7. We do not generally field any complaints from sleeve purchasers that sound quality is adversely affected. Quite the converse. And there should be plenty of Headfiers to confirm.

Another advantage: All current Shure SE models -- with the exception of the larger 846 -- are the same physical size. Thus, the custom sleeve you purchase for your SE315 will also work with the SE425 and SE535. So if-and-when you upgrade to one of those models, you will already have a custom-fit version.

Not to rush you, but today is the final day of our NAMM Show pricing -- $125 instead of the usual $150. Call Sensaphonics before 5pm Central to order. 1-312-432-1714.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back