Shure SE315
Sep 19, 2010 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

prem

New Head-Fier
Hello All,

I am wondering if the new Shure SE315 is much of an improvement over the 310s. From the features and specifications, there seems to be lots of changes from the previous version in terms of looks.

I like the fact that the have got rid of the modular cable. It added a lot of weight to the earphones and kinda of made it uncomfortable to use. The detachable cables are a welcome change.

How about sound? Is there any improvements/changes in terms of sound quality.

Regards,
Prem.

Sep 27, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 41
Music Direct is taking orders and saying that they will be available in September.  Seeing as the month is almost over, my guess is that the 315s will be either released this week or be pushed to October.  

Sep 27, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 41
Soundearphones.com said they had the SE315 in stock.  I ordered a set (clear) and will hopefully get them on Wednesday.  I'll try to post my impressions after spending some time with them.

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #5 of 41
The SE315 arrived this morning.  I gave them a listen for much of the day but decided that I am going to send them back.  

They sounded fine (and the build is amazing), but I realize that I just don't care for the Shure sound--especially over the Triple.Fi 10.

In comparison, I think they are very similar to the SE530 in a lot of ways.  The mids were very smooth and well integrated, but the highs were not as nice as those on the SE535.  I haven't heard the SE425, but the SE315 blow the SE420 away in every regard.     

Oct 3, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 41
Thanks vinnievidi. Nice to see some impressions about the SE315.

Can you tell something about the build. I never liked the heavy cables on my SE115. How is the new detachable cable on the SE315? 

I currently use UE700. The trebles sound a little too harsh for my taste. But the sound stage is astounding. How is the soundstage on SE315?

Regards,
Prem.

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 41
Hey vinnie how is the bass/lows? I just looked on earphone solutions and saw them oO before my IE7's i was going to get the se310s though I was scared of the cables breaking so decided on the IE7's.

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #8 of 41

Quote:

In comparison, I think they are very similar to the SE530 in a lot of ways.  The mids were very smooth and well integrated, but the highs were not as nice as those on the SE535.  I haven't heard the SE425, but the SE315 blow the SE420 away in every regard.     

LOL 
ksc75smile.gif
 , the se420 's blown away, you don't say !

Oct 12, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #12 of 41

Sorry for the delay in writing... I've been trying to avoid Head-Fi lately.

The build is really impressive.  If you've seen the 535, you'll know what to expect with the 315: built like a tank.  The cable is pretty heavy, and although the microphonics are minimal, the cable is noticeable due to its weight.  I liked the material of the cable.  It felt sturdy and I can't see the connection with the driver causing trouble anytime soon.  It is just like the 535 in this regard as well.  My only gripe with the cable is the length.  I have always though that Shure's cables were about 12 inches too long (or maybe it is that I am 12 inches too short).  Either way, it's a major pain.  I wish that I took pictures of the 315 before I returned them, but it didn't cross my mind until I packaged them up.  

I don't know anything about the UE700, but I have the Triple.Fi 10 and was able to compare them back-to-back.  The 315 sounded more narrow but seemed to have better instrument separation than the TF10 (though not as good as the Westone Um3X).  The 315 also had softer highs--I would think it safe to assume that the highs were somewhere between those of the SE530 and 535.  The bass was close to the 535, but not as deep or pronounced.  The Triple.Fi performs more impressively in the bass department and has more excitement; probably due to the bass and extended highs (which never bothered me, as it does to some).  

When listening to Pearl Jam's Vs. through the SE315, the elements that stood out the most were the kick drum, vocals, and guitars.  The toms, cymbals, and bass guitar were not as pronounced... almost lost in the mix.  The guitars were actually pretty impressive: you could hear a lot of the harmonics and tonal differences when Gossard and McCready switched between Fenders and Gibsons.  On the other hand, tracks like Rats and WMA--which are bass and drum heavy--were presented as pretty unimpressive and flat.

I hope this bit of info helps.  If I didn't already have a deep love affair with the Triple.Fi's, I most definitely would have kept the 315.  I think that their performance to price ration makes them a real bargain... especially compared to the 535 (which are indeed better, but I don't think worth the going price).

Quote:
Thanks vinnievidi. Nice to see some impressions about the SE315.

Can you tell something about the build. I never liked the heavy cables on my SE115. How is the new detachable cable on the SE315? 

I currently use UE700. The trebles sound a little too harsh for my taste. But the sound stage is astounding. How is the soundstage on SE315?

Regards,
Prem.

Oct 12, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #13 of 41
I actually liked the IE7 more than the SE530 when I had them both at the same time.  I could imagine that I'd also prefer the IE7 to the SE315 if paired side-by-side.  Just speaking about the lows, I think that the IE7's lows are more engaging than the 315's.  I would not worry about the cable breaking on any of Shure's new models.  But to me, the Sennheiser cable is far lighter and less microphonic.  

Quote:
Hey vinnie how is the bass/lows? I just looked on earphone solutions and saw them oO before my IE7's i was going to get the se310s though I was scared of the cables breaking so decided on the IE7's.

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #14 of 41
ah okay, thanks for posting your thoughts! I think it's the first one on head-fi. I'll just coppers or tf's sometime soon, and well hopefully when I have enough money I'll get some customs or 535's.

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #15 of 41
Compared to the Audio Technica ATH-M50, how much bass does the SE315 have? Would I be satisfied you think? I realize you're comparing full sized cans to an IEM, but I'd still like to know.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back