Shure SE215 or Wetstone 1???
Mar 29, 2011 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BTFbossman

Head-Fier
Hey guys im looking to get either the Shure SE215 or the Wetstone 1..is the wetstone 1 worth the extra 20$?

Also is the monster turbine better or worse than either of these?

Thank you 

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 11
I haven't auditioned the Westone 1 or the SE215. However, it is important to note that the SE215 is a dynamic driver, whereas the Westone 1 is a Balanced Armature. Those different designs create drastically different sound signatures, and it really comes down to user preference on which one is "better".

If you like details and clarity, the 1 might be a better choice. (You could also check out the UM1 if you prefer a flatter, more accurate sound)

If you prefer a "fun, enjoyable" sound, and don't plan on using them for stage monitoring or anything, they you might be more inclined to check out the 215.

The turbine has a bassy sound, and is a dynamic as well. You can find them refurbished for $50 from the Monster Turbine Store.

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #3 of 11
Ok, i just found out a few minutes ago what the difference between dynamic driver and balanced armature is from more research here.
Well im used to the 20$ sony earbuds and skullcandy ink'd so im sure both of these would sound great to me.
Also im looking for something that would sound good with like hardcore, rock, and mostly everything. I will not be using them as on stage monitors either.

Quote:
I haven't auditioned the Westone 1 or the SE215. However, it is important to note that the SE215 is a dynamic driver, whereas the Westone 1 is a Balanced Armature. Those different designs create drastically different sound signatures, and it really comes down to user preference on which one is "better".

If you like details and clarity, the 1 might be a better choice. (You could also check out the UM1 if you prefer a flatter, more accurate sound)

If you prefer a "fun, enjoyable" sound, and don't plan on using them for stage monitoring or anything, they you might be more inclined to check out the 215.

The turbine has a bassy sound, and is a dynamic as well. You can find them refurbished for $50 from the Monster Turbine Store.

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 11
I was recently trying to decide between the 215 and w1 myself since I wanted an active/gym iem and both of these have a good design for that. If you are new to IEM's I would think the 215 would be a more fun sound for you and be more appropriate for your music

If you are looking for an over the ear style iem for active use, I would suggest dropping $20 on a meelectronics m6 to get a feel for a bassy v-shaped sound signature. They're a steal for $20. Obviously the 215's will sound better, but the m6's will at least give you a starting/reference point for sound at a low price. be sure and check out Joker's massive IEM review thread in the forum.

If you don't care about the over the ear fit, the $40 turbine refurbs from the monster outlet are a great deal and they have a very fun engaging sound signature.

Mar 29, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 11

just got the SE215...how long is the break in period?
Quote:
I was recently trying to decide between the 215 and w1 myself since I wanted an active/gym iem and both of these have a good design for that. If you are new to IEM's I would think the 215 would be a more fun sound for you and be more appropriate for your music

If you are looking for an over the ear style iem for active use, I would suggest dropping $20 on a meelectronics m6 to get a feel for a bassy v-shaped sound signature. They're a steal for $20. Obviously the 215's will sound better, but the m6's will at least give you a starting/reference point for sound at a low price. be sure and check out Joker's massive IEM review thread in the forum.

If you don't care about the over the ear fit, the $40 turbine refurbs from the monster outlet are a great deal and they have a very fun engaging sound signature.

May 10, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
60-100 hours, dont leave them on for 60 hours straight tho, use burn in programs, google them, 2hours burn in at normal volume and 30 minute of rest,  then it goes on

O_o 100 hours seems a bit excessive to me. I do 30+ hours.. Obviously the IEM keeps on "burning" in over time, but i don't have the patience to wait more than 2-3 days. I just got my SE215's yesterday and i had a first listen today. Main concern is the price. WHY is it 89 dollars? I expected it to be just a typical entry level IEM comparable to the M6 and SE115's but i was wrong. To me, these sound like 150 dollar badboys. This saying, i don't have details on the sound, but i'm going to do a thorough review on the 215's by tomorrow or the day after. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/553343/just-got-my-se215-comparison-with-different-iems-i-have#post_7463063 for my thread. Maybe my review coming up might aid you in your decision 
dt880smile.png

May 10, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
O_o 100 hours seems a bit excessive to me. I do 30+ hours.. Obviously the IEM keeps on "burning" in over time, but i don't have the patience to wait more than 2-3 days. I just got my SE215's yesterday and i had a first listen today. Main concern is the price. WHY is it 89 dollars? I expected it to be just a typical entry level IEM comparable to the M6 and SE115's but i was wrong. To me, these sound like 150 dollar badboys. This saying, i don't have details on the sound, but i'm going to do a thorough review on the 215's by tomorrow or the day after. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/553343/just-got-my-se215-comparison-with-different-iems-i-have#post_7463063 for my thread. Maybe my review coming up might aid you in your decision 
dt880smile.png

i got the 215s ...thought this thread was dead then got an email lol...i really like them and am glad they are that cheap if you say they sound like 150 dollar ones

May 10, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #9 of 11
hope you are satisfied with your purchase because i am completely sold away by the value of the SE215s!

May 18, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #10 of 11
Judging from the price difference, it looks like the Shure SE210's higher in the product line. Has anybody compared the two? The price difference seems to be minimal, and I am interested in knowing whether the sound difference is significant enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back