Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Oct 18, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #5,611 of 6,067
In prev post I concluded internal KSA dac is good at eqing (does not reduce sharpness, detail, just change the FR) than hiend dap SP1000.
Yes.
It is not SP1000 sounding less sharp or detail. But it lose detail level when apply any eq (even when just 0.1dB input at any band and remaining kept at zero).
Stage of SP1000(SS version) and layering is a thing internal dac can not reach.
That is comparision side by side.
If just listening internal dac with eq a long session, I forgot that its internal dac.

If the internal ksa dac allow to select dac filters, I'll chose slow roll-off for better stage.

Ksa 1200 is for bass attack and sharpness. Ksa1500 for wider stage, smoother mid.

Attachments

• 20211018_184312.jpg
    20211018_184312.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Oct 22, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #5,613 of 6,067
W
Is anyone using these earphones with a different amp than the default one that Shure provides? Is it even possible doing it?
While technically possible it’s not easy I‘d say. These being electrostatic systems, no normal amp will work (they need some bias voltage that normal amps don’t provide and would pose a capacitive load which normal amps don’t like). Using other amps for electrostatic headphones might be possible, but I don’t know what specific voltage the KSE1500 drivers need… you might risk damage on either side (amp and/or earphones).

I think there was some discussion around this topic in this thread some time ago. Maybe you can dig something up by scanning over the pages.

Oct 22, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #5,614 of 6,067
W

While technically possible it’s not easy I‘d say. These being electrostatic systems, no normal amp will work (they need some bias voltage that normal amps don’t provide and would pose a capacitive load which normal amps don’t like). Using other amps for electrostatic headphones might be possible, but I don’t know what specific voltage the KSE1500 drivers need… you might risk damage on either side (amp and/or earphones).

I think there was some discussion around this topic in this thread some time ago. Maybe you can dig something up by scanning over the pages.
You just need a 200V bias and the requisite ballast resistor (about 5 - 10M ohm), which is the same as vintage Stax headphones (the so-called "normal" bias). Any electrostatic amp will do the trick if you can get the right pinout and bias voltage - the KSE1500 is an exceptionally easy load due to its low capacitance.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #5,615 of 6,067
mmm......personally, I'd just simplify the chain to ZX2 + KSE 1500 or any DAP + KSE 1500. That's what I do. Why? Because the KSE, in and of itself, is already a fine in-ear system and all it needs is a quality DAP. Adding to the KSE 1500 a Mojo and a DAP or a DAC and a DAP needlessly complicates things.
Thank you for the comment

Oct 23, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #5,616 of 6,067

NOTE: If you can't see the embedded video above, please CLICK HERE to see the video.

Produced by Joseph Cwik and Jude Mansilla

In this episode of Head-Fi TV we give you a first look at the new Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphone System being launched in Tokyo ahead of the Fujiya Avic Tokyo Headphone Festival.

In my opinion, the Shure KSE1500 may be the most significant high-end product launch in our part of the audio world since the Sennheiser HD 800. It is remarkable.

2016-01-17 16:28 EST UPDATE: Some are finding that the input sensitivity of the KSA1500 amp is quite high, and, as a result, some are experiencing distortion from input clipping. The KSA1500 provides has an easy fix built into it (the input pad), and I posted instructions on how to enable it--and tips/tricks related to this--which you can read by clicking on the following link:

Products mentioned in the video:
  1. Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphone System
  2. Stax SR-009 electrostatic headphone
  3. Stax SR-002 electrostatic headphone
  4. KOSS ESP950 electrostatic headphone
  5. Sennheiser Orpheus electrostatic headphone system
  6. Shure 55 Unidyne Vocal Microphone microphone
  7. Shure SM58 vocal microphone
  8. Shure MOTIV MV88 iOS-compatible stereo condenser microphone
  9. Stax SR-L700 electrostatic headphone
  10. Stax SRM-007t electrostatic headphone
  11. Schiit Audio Yggdrasil multibit DAC with closed-form filter
  12. Schiit Audio Gungnir Multibit multibit DAC
  13. Chord Electronics Hugo TT desktop DAC/amp
  14. Chord Electronics Mojo portable DAC/amp

We will occasionally post Q&A episodes of Head-Fi TV. If you want to submit any questions (or comments), you can do so via email to tv@head-fi.org.

Thank you for the contribution

Nov 17, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #5,618 of 6,067
I’ve been comparing the KSE-1500 to LCD-i4 and some other IEMs. I got the impression from reviews these were going to be very bright and bass light but the extension in the lows seems great and is impactful and full to me.

Nov 17, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #5,619 of 6,067
I’ve been comparing the KSE-1500 to LCD-i4 and some other IEMs. I got the impression from reviews these were going to be very bright and bass light but the extension in the lows seems great and is impactful and full to me.
The bass is terrific quality, so glad you weren't deterred. Hate when I see that kind of impression too.

It also scales with higher-end sources too. The bass has terrific depth capability.

Nov 17, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #5,620 of 6,067
The bass is terrific quality, so glad you weren't deterred. Hate when I see that kind of impression too.

It also scales with higher-end sources too. The bass has terrific depth capability.
Yeah, very impressive. I was looking for something that could resolve cleaning down the lower sub frequencies for the purpose of audio production and mixing (especially when traveling), and I think this could be really be useful.

Nov 22, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #5,621 of 6,067
Is anyone using these earphones with a different amp than the default one that Shure provides? Is it even possible doing it?
I have a set running from a modded Kingsound KS03. I also have KSE1200 system and they are very comparable. I purchased from a member on here that did the mods.

I originally had only a set of KSE1500 earphones with no amp. After extensive searching, I discovered what others already knew...it is nearly impossible to find/buy a KSE1200/1500 amp by itself. I had read that Kingsound with proper mods could work. I ended up buying a full KSE1500 system and then discovered the earphone only set I had was faulty. Even though I no longer needed one, I wondered how the Kingsound would've sounded and when one came available with proper mods, I bought it more out of curiosity. Very pleased with it.

Nov 22, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #5,622 of 6,067
holly smokes this is literally taking kse1500 to another level, what a great profile, thanks alot alot, this is a must eq profile to use for me now. I am using this eq profile with azla crystal tips using the stem adapters that come with crystal tips, and what a great sound i am getting, with crystal tips the soundstage widens up, and mids are filling way better and fuller, than any stock tips. this combo of azla crstal tips with that eq profile, just re-ignited my adoration to the kse1500 and how unique it is, i dare to say that this is very hard to beat now
Yeah, very impressive. I was looking for something that could resolve cleaning down the lower sub frequencies for the purpose of audio production and mixing (especially when traveling), and I think this could be really be useful.

Certainly not bass light, the issues are more in the midrange and treble, though the midbass is a bit thick. Sound so much better if you EQ to Harman and then tune to taste from there. Been running them like this w/ a PEQ through Roon for over a year now.

Even Crinnacle knocked them down several levels due to the wonky EQ... used to be S-tier, now A-. Proper EQ brings them to S+ status IMO.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #5,623 of 6,067
Certainly not bass light, the issues are more in the midrange and treble, though the midbass is a bit thick. Sound so much better if you EQ to Harman and then tune to taste from there. Been running them like this w/ a PEQ through Roon for over a year now.

Even Crinnacle knocked them down several levels due to the wonky EQ... used to be S-tier, now A-. Proper EQ brings them to S+ status IMO.
Yeah I guess it’s more about the top end and mids. I was surprised to see them ranked lower on Crinacle’s list but after seeing the FR I do understand. I’ve only tried with the built in EQ on the amp which seemed decent but maybe I’ll try something on Mac.

Dec 4, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #5,624 of 6,067
hi, is Shure on head fi, I want to get in touch with them through head fi for something related to kse1500

Dec 4, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #5,625 of 6,067
hi, is Shure on head fi, I want to get in touch with them through head fi for something related to kse1500
You'd have better luck emailing/calling through their official support. Shure isn't really vocal on head-fi from what I've seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back