Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Dec 5, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #5,626 of 6,059
The bass is terrific quality, so glad you weren't deterred. Hate when I see that kind of impression too.

It also scales with higher-end sources too. The bass has terrific depth capability.
Its true. I logged in to let everyone know how great the bass was and that the "bass light" perception is just not true. Shure (he he) its not like full scale planar bass but man it can hit. I have the kSE1200 and have the bass tweaked with my BBE SOnic maximizer and the bass boost on my hafler amp before going into the KSE 1200 amp. Also it sounds way better out of the headphone out than the pre out. I tried the eq settings in the Neutron player and I will take my hodge podge of processing over the eq.

The sound in general and the bass too is just so effortless and quick.

Dec 5, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #5,627 of 6,059
The bass is strong and goes deep. I have no idea how anyone could think it's lacking, unless they are looking for excessive bass.

Dec 5, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #5,628 of 6,059
The bass is strong and goes deep. I have no idea how anyone could think it's lacking, unless they are looking for excessive bass.
They might find a rumble feeling. Estat use super lightweight diaphragm so sense of rumble may be lacking for some people.

Dec 11, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #5,629 of 6,059
I was messing around with the KSE1200 fed by Hugo and found that I really, really liked them with spinfit double-flanged cp240s and Oratory1990's eq. I want to find different tips, though. The double-flanged tips make my ears itch...don't have that problem with any of the other spinfits...but the cp100's on these make me wanna gouge out my ears.

Dec 20, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #5,630 of 6,059
I just can’t help intervening when people write something really blatantly and often technically incorrect and even though I always try and be polite about it (unless it’s just a tr*oll) and justify my comments or try to reason, most people just don’t get it and it ends up turning ugly so frankly it’s time I just left and lurked occasionally as a guest.
If you can read those technically incorrect comments without being logged in and not being able to respond.. without it causing great frustration, then why not simply count to 10 before wanting to reply when actively logged in? Or type your response out and then close the tab - without posting it.

Its only a matter of choice to type something or not.

Dec 20, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #5,631 of 6,059
I've only just discovered the existance of these Shures today... I've just bought a cheap pair of Beyerdynamic Xelentos and somehow the research into them took me to the Shures.

I really want a pair!

Along with Sonarworks SoundID on something like the Merging Anubis to replace the KSE1500's EQ, the 1200s sound like the perfect studio monitor for a great price.

Has anyone partnered their Shures with more full-on headphone/monitoring EQ software?

Dec 31, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #5,632 of 6,059
I have a set running from a modded Kingsound KS03. I also have KSE1200 system and they are very comparable. I purchased from a member on here that did the mods.

I originally had only a set of KSE1500 earphones with no amp. After extensive searching, I discovered what others already knew...it is nearly impossible to find/buy a KSE1200/1500 amp by itself. I had read that Kingsound with proper mods could work. I ended up buying a full KSE1500 system and then discovered the earphone only set I had was faulty. Even though I no longer needed one, I wondered how the Kingsound would've sounded and when one came available with proper mods, I bought it more out of curiosity. Very pleased with it.

Hi guys,

I did own kse1500 and thinking about getting it again. I am interested in Kingsound KS03 energiser. Can anyone share your comments?

I have a full size set up so this kse1500 will be for on-the-go purpose. This will be used with PC or notebook all the time, as I don't have any DAP and feel more convenient to stream music via Tidal from PC. So I have only two choices for now.

A: original set of KSE1500 with its energiser as there is a DAC part inside.

B: modded KSE 1500/1200 iem only with Kingsound KS03 energiser. There is no DAC part from KS03 (if I am right) so I might need some small portable USB DAC such as AQ Dragonfly to feed the KS03 analog input (line in) when I am outside with notebook. At home, the analog signal will come from Augio GD R7HE pure DAC instead.

So it is about the SQ between these two setups.

1. PC source -> KSE 1500 D/A part -> KSE1500 energiser -> KSE iem

vs

2. PC source -> Portable USB Dongle D/A -> m2m cable -> Kingsound KS03 energiser -> KSE iem

If the SQ from KS03 is much better than KSE itself (in the level that there is no need to have EQ from KS03 like KSE1500 energiser has) I would love to try as I previously owned the original KSE1500 set in the past.

Thank you in advance guys.

Dec 31, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #5,633 of 6,059
Hi guys,

If the SQ from KS03 is much better than KSE itself (in the level that there is no need to have EQ from KS03 like KSE1500 energiser has)

Thank you in advance guys.

IME, it's really between the KSE1200 or KS03. Just get a Quedelix 5k and use the oratory EQ. The 1500 DAC sucks and the EQ does not give you nearly enough control - you do need a full 10 band PEQ. Plus you get 50% more battery life w/ the 1200 amp.

Or if you have PEQ on your laptop, get a Tempotec Sonata HD, instrument-grade performance for $50... the Dragonfly is mediocre by comparison, even the higher end offerings. Normally I wouldn't care but these are the most resolving earphones and they deserve better.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #5,634 of 6,059
IME, it's really between the KSE1200 or KS03. Just get a Quedelix 5k and use the oratory EQ. The 1500 DAC sucks and the EQ does not give you nearly enough control - you do need a full 10 band PEQ. Plus you get 50% more battery life w/ the 1200 amp.

Or if you have PEQ on your laptop, get a Tempotec Sonata HD, instrument-grade performance for $50... the Dragonfly is mediocre by comparison, even the higher end offerings. Normally I wouldn't care but these are the most resolving earphones and they deserve better.

Thank you for sharing your experience and help.

So I will focus only between KSE1200's energiser vs. Kingsound KS03 as suggested.

Can you give me a head up between these two amps? Anyone guys?

Happy New Year!

Jan 3, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #5,635 of 6,059
You cannot buy new KSE1500 anymore. I found a second hand store in japan call e-earphone. Got 10% tax free. This earphone must not be listen for 30 mins when switch on from cold. It need to warm up. Then pop on and listen, unique sound of detail and fast bass. Not the huge boom from JH Layla, but fast slam. Also the dac not useful for good dap. An interesting unit which i use at home to listen to get different sound. Not for going to metro/bus/plane. It is kept for my collection.

Jan 5, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #5,636 of 6,059
You cannot buy new KSE1500 anymore

You mean KSE1200/1500 are now obsoleted and no new production? there is Gen2 coming out instead?

Also the dac not useful for good dap. An interesting unit which i use at home to listen to get different sound.

Did you literally wanted to say "dac is not useful AS good dap"? (instead of "dac is not useful for good dap")

I'm not sure what you mean. imho, the dac part from 1500 is not quite good so that people mostly provide analog signal (from ext. dac) to 1500's line-in for better SQ. I will mostly use PC (desktop and laptop) as a source, with above understanding, I plan to get usb dac feeding analog to 1500/1200 instead of having 1500 receiving digital directly from PC.

Do I miss something?

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #5,637 of 6,059
Took this screen shot off Shure site today. They still look available.

Screenshot 2022-01-05 231452.jpg

Jan 6, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #5,638 of 6,059
You mean KSE1200/1500 are now obsoleted and no new production? there is Gen2 coming out instead?

Did you literally wanted to say "dac is not useful AS good dap"? (instead of "dac is not useful for good dap")

I'm not sure what you mean. imho, the dac part from 1500 is not quite good so that people mostly provide analog signal (from ext. dac) to 1500's line-in for better SQ. I will mostly use PC (desktop and laptop) as a source, with above understanding, I plan to get usb dac feeding analog to 1500/1200 instead of having 1500 receiving digital directly from PC.

Do I miss something?
He meant dac inside kse is useless when the user own a high quality dap.

If you think your laptop analog output is fine, you can feed it to kse.
IMO, not many laptop can sounds as good as the kse's internal dac.
You still try yourself.

Jan 6, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #5,639 of 6,059
He meant dac inside kse is useless when the user own a high quality dap.

If you think your laptop analog output is fine, you can feed it to kse.
IMO, not many laptop can sounds as good as the kse's internal dac.
You still try yourself.

yup. that's why I plan to also get an external usb dac to use with kse1500/1200.

I will mostly use this with PC (desktop and laptop) via Tidal, youtube, etc. (and maybe Roon) but still cannot make a decision for the two options below.

A: USB dongle DAC (for both with PC and maybe on-the-go with mobile phone sometimes) / Qudelix, Violectric Chronos, L&P W12, etc.

B: get a dap. this will be used as "ext. dac" receiving signal streamed/online from Tidal, PC when I'm at home. and it can be an on-the-go player when I'm outside (offline)

I believe option B should be better (even though it needed to be recharged).

Can you please share what you think? (for B, due to my budget, all I can afford for now is WM1A or others in the same price range)

Thanks

Jan 6, 2022 at 7:02 AM Post #5,640 of 6,059
yup. that's why I plan to also get an external usb dac to use with kse1500/1200.

I will mostly use this with PC (desktop and laptop) via Tidal, youtube, etc. (and maybe Roon) but still cannot make a decision for the two options below.

A: USB dongle DAC (for both with PC and maybe on-the-go with mobile phone sometimes) / Qudelix, Violectric Chronos, L&P W12, etc.

B: get a dap. this will be used as "ext. dac" receiving signal streamed/online from Tidal, PC when I'm at home. and it can be an on-the-go player when I'm outside (offline)

I believe option B should be better (even though it needed to be recharged).

Can you please share what you think? (for B, due to my budget, all I can afford for now is WM1A or others in the same price range)

Thanks
Except you will stick to internal dac of kse, you should pick up 1200, not 1500.
By same analog feeding, 1200 output better than 1500. However, quite many think/said here they are the same.
To me, 1200 hard beating, punchier, faster and sharper.
Need to clarify here that I compare the 2 same time but difference aging: 1500 is 3 years old relatively compare to 1200. So time may be a factor.

At the clans of estatic, it's a pity if you pair to a low rank source.
For this case, 1500 is prefer with its dac.

Stage of kse is just so so or can called small. Wide stage source as like SP1000SS of AK should be one of best match.
I actually use them.

And note on mojo: dont blind buy for kse by just reading.
Warmth of it and too retouched sound is not so well pairing. This's just my point. You can found others love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back